The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 24, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Shooting gloves, again...

I searched the forums and there are literally dozens of threads on this topic but so far as I can tell they all compare and ask for input about which gloves are best.

My question is different: How much difference do gloves really make when shooting be it a day at the range or competitively?

Its possible that I have answered my own question because I actually use a pair of fingerless Firm Grip gloves when I shoot my Desert Eagle or my friends .454 Casull. They are not shooting gloves but they are VERY nice. Got' em for free when I worked at Home Depot.
Old April 25, 2012, 01:56 AM   #2
sigcurious

Gloves for cold weather? Gloves cause your hands sweat a lot? Padded Gloves for recoil taming? Gloves for grip? All of the above?

I'd guess for people with specific needs, like some of the examples above, they help a lot. Then there are the folks who wear something like this, just cause they're cool and all the real operators wear them!
Old April 25, 2012, 04:13 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Gloves for tactical, sport, shooting uses...

It surprises me how in the last 20 years or so, shooting & tactical gloves went from a "mall ninja" joke to a fairly common uniform item for most "armed professionals"(SWAT, military service members, corrections, PSCs, etc).
In my military service, there were only Bob Allen shooting gloves, Nomex milspec gloves or cheap black leather work gloves(lined with itchy OD wool inserts, ).
Some top brands in 2012, include Hatch, Blackhawk, 5.11 Tactical.
Unkle Mikes markets well made sport shooting gloves for magnum shooters or large calibers(.50AE, .454, .500S&W, .44magnum etc).

ClydeFrog
Old April 25, 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
sigcurious

Sometimes the mallninjas are on to something!

In my first post I poked fun at the tactical gloves, I hope it was clear that the poking was aimed at mallninjas not actual professionals who have use of such gloves. If I were out there everyday dealing with the stuff LEOs and military guys go through, I'd definitely have some rugged gloves.

I did think of another reason to have gloves, which stems from why I might pick up a pair of gloves for shooting. Picking up spent cases from the crap that is unfortunately littering the desert. So much busted glass and other sharp stuff it's starting to seem practical to get at least some protection. Although I don't think I'll be springing for actual cut/piercing resistant gloves, hopefully a pair golf or batters gloves will be enough.
Old April 26, 2012, 02:58 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Ringers, Mechanix, police gloves....

I understand. Unless I was a PMC(private military contractor) or on active duty in Iraq/Afganistan or was in a "jump out" squad of sworn federal agents, I couldn't see spending $80-$100.00 on tactical gloves.
Galls, www.Galls.com & Strichers, www.policehq.com sell high quality shooting & light duty gloves. Top brands like Ringers and Mechanix have LE-shooting gloves too. Some are camo(ACU, desert, urban). They run about $20-$30.00 USD.
Using protective gloves isn't tacticool or being a Mall Ninja either, IMO.
In the late 1990s, I worked as a security officer(085, GS-04) at a VA Medical Center in western PA. A co-worker, an 083/VA police officer had a veteran with mental issues attack him. In the violent struggle, the veteran bit off part of the police officer's thumb. The officer later took an early retirement.

CF
Old April 28, 2012, 11:57 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Mechanix gloves available at Lowe's for grip and padding. There are a number of different variations. Some of them have bright colors, so you either avoid those or get a sharpy and color them black.

Nothing beats wool mits for warmth. Wear the lighter mechanix gloves under the wool in cold weather.

Trained shooting with cold weather gear a few weeks back. Almost everyone tossed in the towel within a few minutes and went to shooting with half frozen hands. Drawing with bulky gloves on is terrible and NDs when putting your finger in the trigger guard b/c of the extra bulk are a real possibility.
Old April 29, 2012, 12:40 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Mechanix; military colors-styles....

Galls, Quartermasters, Strichers, etc sell the work/police gloves from Mechanix with subdued designs(no bright colors or logos).
Old May 2, 2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Darto

The thinnest, softest leather gloves I can find, completely unlined. Practically as comfortable as a latex glove.

Mailman (letter carrier) gloves are designed to allow flipping through a stack of letters individually and allow for great dexterity. Sold on uniform supply stores online.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Nitrile vs "latex" medical gloves....

It's slightly off topic, but I prefer the newer Nitrile type medical gloves over latex.
Latex smells & it irrates the skin.
Yuck!
I'd add that if you want full dexterity or touch, then don't wear any gloves.

Gloves are meant to protect the hands/fingers or support the grip when required; sports, driving, tools-equipment, etc.

CF
Old May 2, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Jo6pak

I wear gloves when doing "tactical rifle" run -n- gun games.
Aids grip and mag changes, and of course...barrels get hot
Old May 2, 2012, 07:48 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/taa-m-pact-3-glove

THis are pretty nice. THe carbon fiber works just like brass knuckles. A little uncomfortable to open your hands up more than 180*
Old May 2, 2012, 07:56 PM   #12
egor20

I wear gloves most of the day, so I train with them also.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg%C2%...ibu355de5h0dmk

They're thin enough that I really don't notice a difference when shooting.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand