The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2005, 05:29 PM   #1
quintos

How exactly do you clean a bore snake

I used the forums search function and did not see any information about how to clean the bore snakes im a noob and I don't know how to clean them I was using a 3 piece steel rod before "yikes" I wouldnt be surprised if I damaged my bore with it I just dont want to damage it anymore then it might be now. I bought two bore snakes for my guns and it left my Yugo SKS bore spotless clean as a whistle I love it alot more then a rod and I think it cleans better.. Sent back the Dewey to the store got a refund and bought the snake and it seems great! But obviously now that I have run it through its dirty now how exactly do you clean them thanks in advance do you use regular hand soap and hand wash them???
Old September 13, 2005, 09:06 PM   #2
doubleaes2

I beleive they can be put in the washing machine.
Old September 13, 2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Springer45

I just soak mine in the sink with hot water and dish soap, then let it hang-dry. I've heard of guys putting them in an old sock and dropping it in the washing machine. But what if THAT's the sock that disappears??? You've lost a $15 Bore Snake
Old September 13, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4
m0ntels

From the back of the package:

Quote:
"The BORESNAKE" can be washed easily by hand. Band securely or use wash bag for machine cleaning. Air dry.
I've been using mine for about a year, just for light cleaning and as a substitute for multiple dry patches, so they dont see much solvent and dont seem to get too dirty. Havent tried washing them yet, but I should probably at least give them an annual bath.

Randy
Old September 14, 2005, 01:04 AM   #5
Lawyer Daggit

Put it into the washing machine. I usually put it in a 'delicates' bag first- kind of thing women wash bras in- but I would suggest not using your wifes current delicates bag.
Old September 14, 2005, 08:02 PM   #6
quintos

Wish I had a wife. But since I dont I dont think I will have to worry about that any time soon.
Old September 16, 2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Cacique500

Quote:
Put it into the washing machine. I usually put it in a 'delicates' bag first- kind of thing women wash bras in- but I would suggest not using your wifes current delicates bag.
+1

I wash my boresnakes every few weeks with no problems. DO NOT try it without the 'delicate bags'...bad things happen in the machine (don't ask me how long it took me to get it out...)
Old September 16, 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
gfen

Quote:
Wish I had a wife. But since I dont I dont think I will have to worry about that any time soon.
Just remember they cut into your gun budget.

gfen, newlywed, six months down.
Old August 6, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
crstrode

Quintos wrote: "Wish I had a wife."

Quintos wrote: "Wish I had a wife."

Be careful what you wish for
Old August 6, 2013, 08:18 PM   #10
SAWBONES

I usually wash several bore snakes for different calibers at once in the washing machine (the one for clothes, not dishes ), putting 'em in one of my wife's "dainty things" mesh bags. Works fine.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Louca

I haven't cleaned mine yet but when I do I will probably hand wash it in a tub or pail with dish washing detergent. That way, I will not have to worry about the bristles scratching anything. I figure since the snake will contain a lot of oil-based things in it, the detergent containing surfactants will probably work the best. Also, my wife would KILL me if I washed it in her washing machine!

As far as the cleaning rod being a bad thing and ruining the bore, if you use the rod from the breech end and not the muzzle end, things should be safe. I know, kinda hard to do on some semi-autos.

Lou