The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2020, 02:18 AM   #1
Ignition Override

New Ruger Mark IV .22 might need a little break-in.

It's the short, thin barrel Standard model.
* Note: I Had a brand-new IV over a year ago, and it went maybe 1,000 rds. before seeing a single stovepipe or such. About as reliable as my imported AKs. Sold the first Ruger only to have some of the cash to buy another Sig P225 ('87).

After leaving the gun shop today with this brand-new, >>identical<< Mark IV Standard (thin, short barrel) and new ammo, I put just a little Breakfree CLP all around the bolt; about five- ten drops.

100 rds. of the lowest cost Winchester had just a single jam.
100 rds. of CCI Minimag had two stovepipes. Figured that brand-new CCI would be perfect...

Maybe it will get to 99.9 or 100% perfect function in a while, like my previous new Mark IV Standard? No biggie, it's just for the range.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 23, 2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old February 23, 2020, 07:46 AM   #2
dph1980

My wife and I each have a Mark IV, hers is the lite and mine has the bull barrel. They are both perfectly reliable with the right ammo. The funny thing is they both don't like the same ammo (disclaimer: we shoot mostly cheap bulk ammo). Hers will have feeding issues with Remington Thunderbolts while mine eats them all day. Meanwhile, hers will eat Federal all day while mine chokes left and right with them. Neither likes golden bullets. I don't remember if we have tried Winchester. At the end of the day it's not a big deal as they are range guns and we just feed them what they like. Overall, I really like the Mark IV. They are good guns that can provide hours of fun.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Eddiejoe

I have the MK IV Lite as well. Mine eats anything, including the golden bullets.
Some online dealer (PSA? I can't remember) had a deal on blemished Volquartsen barrels for $25.
I got a 6 inch bull barrel and no issues with that one either.
Old February 23, 2020, 12:22 PM   #4
triplebike

I have the mkiv 22/45 lite & bull barrel. Broke both of them in with 1000 rds of mini mags. Now they run anything without a problem. Fantastic firearms.
Old February 23, 2020, 05:40 PM   #5
jpx2rk

My "lite" runs most anything well, a stovepipe on occasion, but nothing serious. I ran about 300 mini mags thru mine when new.
Old February 23, 2020, 06:00 PM   #6
Ignition Override

The best of four brands used today--G. Bullet, Auto Match., Win. Super X (*spent months in my car*) and Federal 'blue box".... were Golden Bullet and Auto Match.

Today these last two did 100 rds. Each/total, without a single issue.
The Win. Super X (--stored months in my car--) actually had two Fail To Extract.

For whatever it's worth, using both Auto Match and Golder Bullet will be good enough. Both low-cost brands were much better than the brand-new CCI MiniMag (see first post) which had two stovepipes yesterday.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 24, 2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old March 1, 2020, 07:02 PM   #7
SGW Gunsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
I have the mkiv 22/45 lite & bull barrel. Broke both of them in with 1000 rds of mini mags. Now they run anything without a problem. Fantastic firearms.
That's a GOOD procedure to follow. I recommend that all my new customers who purchase a **NEW** Ruger Mark pistol run a bunch of CCI Mini-Mags through their new pistol to exercise the springs until those springs develop their working "set". Thereafter, these pistols will shoot standard velo and hi-speed with a purpose. Just avoid the hyper stuff like "Stingers" and your grandchildren will be shooting these pistols when it's their turn.
Old March 13, 2020, 11:15 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Just curious - I have a MKIII blued Target model with the bull barrel - i haven't shot much 22 since the shortage but am starting to get interested in it again. Love the MKIII Target but have always wanted one of the short barrel "Standard" models and am considering one of the new MKIVs. I looked on the
Ruger site and may have missed it - will the MKIIII magazines work in the MIIV models or are the MKIV magazine a different design and not interchangeable with the MIIII magazines? Thanks.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 14, 2020, 02:09 AM   #9
Ignition Override

My conclusion was that the recoil spring in this new Mark IV could be just a bit stiffer than the same spring in my previous, identical Mark IV. That other New Ruger had maybe Only two FTExtract in over 2,000 rds. of any brand of ammo.

Thanks for the advice-will try more of the hotter CCI to ‘train’ the recoil spring.
Old March 16, 2020, 09:18 AM   #10
TfflHndn

My Mk III 22/45 mags will not work in the Mk IV 22/45. Don't know about the standard configuration.
Old March 16, 2020, 11:40 AM   #11
SGW Gunsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
Just curious - I have a MKIII blued Target model with the bull barrel - i haven't shot much 22 since the shortage but am starting to get interested in it again. Love the MKIII Target but have always wanted one of the short barrel "Standard" models and am considering one of the new MKIVs. I looked on the
Ruger site and may have missed it - will the MKIIII magazines work in the MIIV models or are the MKIV magazine a different design and not interchangeable with the MIIII magazines? Thanks.
Mark III magazines work very well in the Ruger Mark IV pistols, those with the metal grip frame. The 22/45 pistols do not share very well at all between magazines. The base plates on the Mark III are different than what the Mark IV 22/45 uses.
Old March 16, 2020, 01:05 PM   #12
AzShooter

Your Mark III magazines for your 22/45 will work perfectly in your Mark IV if you cut or grind off the 1/4 inch tab on the back of the magazines so that they are flush with the bottom of the Mark IV.