The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 2, 2020, 07:09 AM   #26
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I am far from doing well enough to have play money and all that let alone guns that don't have a practical purpose... no range queens, no safe queens, no bbq guns, just carry guns. well, while fiddling in my safe I realized that over the years, and years... I have accumulated four .32s.

I have two Seecamp .32s, one is mine one is my wife's. one Walther PP .32 that was to be my daughter's but she preferred her LCR .22lr. One LCR .327 for my daughter since she prefers the LCR gun and now has something that can be loaded with more umph than a .22lr yet still has soft recoil. Lastly, one Kel-tec P32 that I happened across recently and decided to try again because of how light it is.

anyway, if I'm not careful I'll end up with more .32s than 9mms or something. Has anyone else of meager means found themselves acquiring a lot of one caliber than you hadn't planned on?
I'm not too sure meager means has anything to do with it but I have four military Makarov 9X18s....I'm not going to run out of spare parts ....the two East Germans were acquired during C&R availability days as someone else pointed out.

But these are true carry guns that get shot often. I don't need four but that's just how it turned out. If means were truly meager I would undoubtedly have just one.
Old March 2, 2020, 12:40 PM   #27
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Late H&R and Iver Johnson revolvers were very well made, and will last as long as any other well made gun.
They were rather crude by S&W standards, but were good guns.
Admittedly I had a bad experience with an H&R a few years ago that has caused me to view them as badly made, even tho the top break I have is good, it's still got quirks that finer made revolvers don't.

That said, those .38 top breaks H&R made, the Defenders, those look like high quality, just stinks that they're in .38 S&W and not something that can use .358" bullets like .38 Long Colt. I wouldn't have a problem reloading .38 Colt cuz I reload .38/.357, but getting into loading for another cartridge as uncommon as .38 S&W doesn't appeal to me.
Old March 2, 2020, 01:26 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

I forgot. Smith and Wesson kept making 32 long K frame target models or at least in the early 2000s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old March 3, 2020, 04:08 PM   #29
Hdonly

I only have one .32. An Ortgies. It is quite accurate but I don't rely on it for home defense. Nice old gun though.

Old March 3, 2020, 04:16 PM   #30
amd6547

Just bought a keltec P32, and I'm loving it...
What a smooth, easy shooting pistol...Much nicer than the P3AT I used to carry.
Liked it so much, I just got 200rds of S&B FMJ from SGammo.
Old March 3, 2020, 04:42 PM   #31
ratshooter

Quote:
anyway, if I'm not careful I'll end up with more .32s than 9mms or something. Has anyone else of meager means found themselves acquiring a lot of one caliber than you hadn't planned on?
All of my purchases were planned and yes I have bought several 32 caliber guns. My only 32 auto at this time is a Walther PP made in 1957 that looks almost brand new.

But I have 6 32 long/32 mag revolvers. Most I consider to be more trail gun than SD gun except for the 431PD I keep in my nightstand. My two Ruger Single Sixes are at the top of my list for favorite guns that will never be sold. They will be passed down to my two sons. Both are adjustable sighted 5.5" barreled guns I like shooting much more than a 22 single six. And I cast and reload for them so shooting them is dirt cheap.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old March 4, 2020, 09:08 AM   #32
PSP

I enjoy the .32 acps that I've owned. All but the CZ proved reliable and accurate. The CZ mags allowed rimlock. Added a Beretta 81 that has been a real joy... and cheap to boot.

Old March 4, 2020, 05:35 PM   #33
OneFreeTexan

.32 isn't ideal, but neither is having to shoot a gun to save yourself. The great thing is even a novice can be handed a .32 and be acceptable in accuracy. I was watching a video of Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons doing a backup gun match using a .32 French revolver and he commented that it's such an easy gun to shoot that it was something that didn't require even minimal training to shoot it well.

Great, that’s all we need,...someone to say shooting doesn’t ‘require even minimal training’
Old March 5, 2020, 11:27 PM   #34
Ibmikey

I have only 15 pistols in .32 ACP as I remember.
Old March 8, 2020, 07:42 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

"anyway, if I'm not careful I'll end up with more .32s than 9mms or something. Has anyone else of meager means found themselves acquiring a lot of one caliber than you hadn't planned on? "

Heh... That ship sailed for me a long time ago...

I now have as many .32s as I have .357 Magnums, and more .32s than .38 Specials.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 8, 2020, 12:46 PM   #36
SIGSHR

I have 2, a Mauser M1914, and a CZ-27. For European shooters they were the equivalent of the 38 Special Colt Official Police/S&W Hand Ejector. Powerful enough to slow, if not stop an assailant, compact enough for the average person to feel comfortable shooting.