The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2018, 07:26 PM   #1
xandi

Low cost options for cleaning brass

What are some good low cost options for equipment to clean brass?
Old July 14, 2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Doyle

Cheapest of all - 5 gallon bucket filled with car wash soap and a dash of Lemi Shine. If you use the car wash soap that also contains wax, it keeps the brass from tarnishing. Use a laundry bag and soak, dunk, swirl, etc. then flush with clean water.

You'd be surprised how clean it gets the brass. Not shiny like running through a tumbler but certainly clean enough to reload. Depriming before washing helps to clean better.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:47 PM   #3
egd

Depends on your definition of low cost, but I use a vibrating tumbler I bought at Bass pro and walnut lizard bedding from petsmart. The tumbler was $49-59 ?? on sale I think. It's been a while. I originally had a harbor freight tumbler but it quit a few days after the short warranty ran out. Wasted money.
Old July 14, 2018, 08:02 PM   #4
hounddawg

I used to boil them with a bit of lemon juice and a tsp of detergent on a propane gas burner for about three or four years. Like Doyle said they won't be shiny but they shoot just as good
Old July 14, 2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Three or four years! Son, there are faster methods that would spare you the giant propane bill.

But seriously, if you use the simple cold detergent and citric acid method (Lemishine is just an expensive form of citric acid) you can further save yourself the cost of a bucket by putting a plastic milk jug into service (after the milk is gone). The handle makes it easy to shake. Citric acid cheap is here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 14, 2018, 08:57 PM   #6
603Country

I’ll just stick with my Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler and their crushed walnut. Works great and is quite inexpensive. I’ve had it for years.
Old July 14, 2018, 09:02 PM   #7
BBarn

I also use a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap. Usually let them soak over night or longer, and agitate several times during the soak.

I de-prime before the wash. Dump the brass and soapy water into an old dishwasher utensil basket to separate the brass from the water. Rinse a couple times with hot water, and dump the brass on to a bath towel for a quick shake. Spread the brass out on the towel in front of a fan, dehumidifier, or heat source for drying.

Not as clean as a polish, but plenty good. I do that even if I am going to polish since it takes less time for polishing and increases the media life.
Old July 14, 2018, 09:50 PM   #8
hdwhit

If you just want clean, Doyle has given good advice.

If want some shine, get a vibratory tumbler and use either walnut or corn cob media. I got a Frankford Arsenal vibratory tumbler from Amazon for less then $40. I use untreated media that I get from midsouthshooterssupply.com for about the same cost a buying pet litter and trying to re-purpose it.

If you do decide to use pet litter, make sure it is 100% walnut or corn cob and not simply "walnut-based" or "corn cob-based" since those litters use other material can can stick inside your cases.

A "jewelry grade" shine is not compatible with "cheap", so I'l stop there.
Old July 14, 2018, 10:11 PM   #9
JeepHammer

I would go with volume of brass needing cleaned...

For a range day once in a while (if you aim), a half gallon jar, soap, water, and shake for about 10 minutes.
Half gallon mason jar is fine for sighting in hunting rifles or some well aimed shots.

Range blasting day just to hear noise, better get a drive of some kind for your mason jar or 1-2 gallon bucket.

10,000 a day, big box store cement mixer, soap, water.

Don't confuse cleaning with polishing or coatings.
Wash to get crud off, dry media to polish, wax for coating.
(Wax is not metal polish no matter what the label says)
Old July 15, 2018, 01:29 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Soap, water, and some scrub brushes.
That's as cheap as it gets.

For added efficiency, the citric acid mentioned above helps. If you don't want to order online, or aren't sure just how much you're getting in an "8 oz" or "16 oz" package, try your local bakery supply shops if you're in a fairly large city. They usually sell it by the pound (in ounces -- up to 50 lb bags) for very reasonable prices ... and it's food grade.
Old July 15, 2018, 03:05 AM   #11
tangolima

Half gallon plastic orange juice jug. 1 lb of stainless steel pin. Water just covers the brass. A squirt of simple green or two. Roll the closed jug for about 300 times. Rinse and separate. Each time I can clean up to 100 30-06 sized rifle brass.

I have been doing this for many years with the same jug and stainless steel pins. My poor man wet tumbling method. Works well for what I need.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old July 15, 2018, 06:02 AM   #12
std7mag

I got a Lyman tumbler $40, and use walnut from harbor freight.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 15, 2018, 06:56 AM   #13
hounddawg

Quote:
Three or four years! Son, there are faster methods that would spare you the giant propane bill.
LOL but it takes a long time to make em tender enough to eat
Old July 15, 2018, 05:13 PM   #14
jpx2rk

I used one of the large plastic coffee cans I had laying around, a bit if dawn, swirl, shake, soak and repeat a few times, then dry. I have moved up the ladder a bit but it still works 100% of the time.
Old July 16, 2018, 09:28 PM   #15
mgulino

I use a wet tumbler from Harbor Freight (wait for the 20% off coupon) and some stainless steel pins from STM. Can clean about 400 9mm rounds in an hour.
Old July 16, 2018, 10:45 PM   #16
mikld

FWIW and just an aside; I reloaded for 12 years before I got a tumbler. I would wipe each case with a solvent dampened rag as I inspected it. No ruined dies, no scratched chambers, and I could spot all defects. I also used a method much like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrkCR_CEEI. (I normally don't like or recommend YouTube for anything)...

Last edited by Unclenick; July 17, 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo fix
Old July 16, 2018, 10:59 PM   #17
rc

Low Cost Brass Cleaning

Go to harbor freight and get a tumbler.

Go to the feed store and ask about crushed walnut bird litter.

Go to Walmart and get some car polish.

Combine, shake well

May not be commercial quality polish but will clean cases of dirt and buff them off.

You may want to wash them as a final step and leave them in a hot car for a few days to dry.
Old July 16, 2018, 11:14 PM   #18
AL45

An old 5 gallon bucket, hot water, citric acid and a stick to stir it with. Then rinse with cold water. Takes about 10 minutes. Dry in a dehydrator for about 20 minutes.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:43 AM   #19
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL45 View Post
An old 5 gallon bucket, hot water, citric acid and a stick to stir it with. Then rinse with cold water. Takes about 10 minutes. Dry in a dehydrator for about 20 minutes.
Yep. Good basic method. Inexpensive too. I never tried a dehydrator, just Mama's oven (when she wasn't home )...
Old July 17, 2018, 01:21 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

"...also contains wax..." That you do not want on your cases. Plain white vinegar works, followed by a hot tap water rinse and 15 minutes on a cookie sheet in mikld's mom's oven(we don't live there. snicker.) set on the lowest setting. And another 15 minutes cooling time.
Really cheap is a clean rag and vinegar in front of the TV.
What you're cleaning off is carbon. Doesn't take a lot of cleaning. And cases do not need to be shiney.
Old July 17, 2018, 01:26 PM   #21
gwpercle

A tough mesh bag and the washing machine . Use the gentle cycle and do it when the wife is gone. I wash my cases when I do a small load of shop rags and old towels I use for gun cleaning. Then run them through the dryer with the rags and towels , leave them in the mesh bag.....makes getting them out easier.
Gary
Old July 17, 2018, 03:00 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

If you want inexpensive polish, pop down to the garden center and buy some diatomaceous earth. This is used as a mechanical (non-toxic) insecticide by organic gardeners. The microscopic diatom skeletons (looks like flour) scratch the waxy coating on insect bodies and they lose their water and dry out and die. It is used in toothpaste as a polish and in cereal filler. I think the bag I got even said it was food grade. Anyhow, 5 lb minimum will last you a lifetime. Mix it into a slurry with mineral spirits or water to add to your tumbler. Let it run outdoors with the lid off for half an hour to dry out the water or mineral spirits. It is mainly present to carry the mix into the pores of your media.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 17, 2018, 03:32 PM   #23
joed

There can't be anything much cheaper with so little work as a vibratory cleaner. Walnut media and some mineral spirits for 2 hours and you're done.

I've had mine, a Thumblers Tumbler for 40 years. When it dies I'll buy another.
Old July 17, 2018, 03:33 PM   #24
HankC1

Soap and water does not get inside clean enough for inspection, but that is what I do now! I paper clip inspect the brass on every piece.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:18 PM   #25
hounddawg

if you want to go super cheap wipe the outside of the case with a rag and the take a bore brush for a spin in the neck and call it done. A lot of the the BR shooters do one hole groups at 200 yards with that method