The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2018, 08:50 PM   #1
ShooterComputer

I need some help planning

I am purchasing a Henry Single Shot rifle in .243 Winchester here in a week or two. I've always loved single shots and Henry's fits the bill for my preferences. My plan is to purchase a lee loader, powder scale, and priming tool to try reloading. I am on a student's budget. I would like to toy around with finding the most accurate loads for this rifle. Any tips or items I should purchase for this?
Old July 13, 2018, 08:53 PM   #2
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterComputer View Post
I am purchasing a Henry Single Shot rifle in .243 Winchester here in a week or two. I've always loved single shots and Henry's fits the bill for my preferences. My plan is to purchase a lee loader, powder scale, and priming tool to try reloading. I am on a student's budget. I would like to toy around with finding the most accurate loads for this rifle. Any tips or items I should purchase for this?

Forget the Lee Loader and go with a single stage press, carbide die set, Lee powder balance scale and funnels, Lyman case prep hand tool set, a powder trickler if you want to pursue most accurate loads.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old July 13, 2018, 09:35 PM   #3
berettaprofessor

What lordmorgul said. The easiest way to start is to buy a lee reloading kit such as this one:

https://leeprecision.com/50th-annive...enger-kit.html

It's everything you need to load, buy it and a few extra Breech Lock bushings. Eventually you'll buy a new scale, then a new powder measure and then the floodgates will open, but this will always be your go-to single stage.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:37 PM   #4
lamarw

If you ever have any thought of expanding your reloading capacity, then go with a turret press vs. a single stage. You can always use the turret press like a single stage and have the turret available to expand your reloading capacity.

The first rifle round I ever reloaded for was a. .243 Winchester. I was in the Military and on the cheap at the time. I bought a $10.00 whack a mole kit and made a lot of rounds for my .243 Remington 600 rifle.
Old July 14, 2018, 05:57 AM   #5
std7mag

Don't forget to get a Lee case length gauge. It lets you trim your brass to a consistant length. You'll probably want/need to trim about every 2nd reload.
I used the Lee wack a mole for my 7mm Rem Mag for 2 years before i bought the Classic Turret kit. Does everything for me except forming duties. For that i use a Lee single stage.

Another thing to think about.
What is the twist rate of the barrel, and how heavy of a bullet do you want to shoot?

I've used Alliant Reloder26 with 100gr Sierra BTSP GameKings, and Hornady 105gr HPBT Match bullets with good accuracy and velocities.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...