The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2015, 03:19 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Range Day - Heavy Hitters

Got the chronograph and some revolvers out for some fun and education. On the light side, I snuck up on 700 fps with my 41 LC (718.2/20.3 std). That's enough for an old Army Special.

Ran some 44 magnum out of a new to me Redhawk, and there I got the education. Heavy loads are a pleasure out of the big Redhawk, the Blackhawk not so much. My max load 240 XTP went 1,454 with a std of only 7.3, and no owies. Like this pistol!

Now the Blackhawk 45. I got my "field" load nailed down with a 255 Missouri Bullet at 1,100. That's not at all bad to shoot. But I've been trying some heavy cast bullets, and today it was 360 Cast Performance with a really wide meplate. A real bear buster, and a real knuckle buster to boot. I stopped after shooting my 5 20 grainers - it hurt! These went 1,187/26.1 std, and accuracy was good. But what a handful. I like my Blackhawk, too, and it handles these loads fine. It's me that doesn't.
Old August 25, 2015, 05:52 PM   #2
WVMountaineer

I've said it every time I have posted on threads about managed recoil loads in the 44 mag revolvers. A Big Ruger RedHawk allows the shooter to handle the heavy hitting loads like butter. It better had because it sure isn't light.

Seriously, the upper end loads are really very manageable in the Redhawks with some barrel on them. They are one fine pistol and every one I have shot is ACCURATE to the 10th degree.

Blackhawks are fine but, the revolver world is ruled by the Big Ruger Redhawks. God Bless
Old August 26, 2015, 04:18 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Glad your liking what you have there.

My first BH was 3 screw flat top in 41 magnum, and I loved everything about it except that cylinder release pin which kept coming unscrewed no matter what I tried. The clincher was when I had stalked to within about 20yds of a big fat doe and drew the revolver and the cylinder fell to the ground when it cleared leather. I got lucky at the next gunshow and found a 7.5" RH in 41 and swapped even for it. If I knew then what I do now about the prices I might have kept it, but I have not been disappointed.

I now have the RH's in 41,44, and 45 Colt and love them all. They all shoot far better than I can, and have taken some very nice critters in the field. I settled on the 270'ish grain weights for my 45C cast loads and find I get the best accuracy at just over 1000fps. That said though even with the RH you still know you have touched off something when you drop the hammer. My favorite load uses HS-6 and it works VERY well over a variety of bullet weights.

Good luck with yours, you will probably find that dropping down a touch in bullet weight will lessen that biting feeling but not give up much penetration.
Old August 26, 2015, 07:49 AM   #4
griz

360 grains at almost 1200 FPS? Wow, that sounds like it's a little past my fun level.
Old August 26, 2015, 10:34 AM   #5
ligonierbill

Hodgdon's published max with these 360's is 21 gr. H110, which they clocked at 1,150. I was over that at 20 gr. (longer barrel), another reason I stopped. Not exactly fun, but potentially a useful load for those concerned about angry bears. For me, it's mainly a matter of interest. Especially with the 45, I like to play with loads. Practically, if I want a light revolver to hunt with, it will be my .41 Mag Blackhawk, an easy shooter and plenty for anything here in the East. If I'm really serious, I do appreciate that Redhawk.
Old August 26, 2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

With 360gn, I'm surprised there was space for powder!

I've got 300gn plated bullets up to 1100fps from my 4" Redhawk. I did that to emulate my 275gn woods load that zips along at 1200-1250fps. The 275gn'ers were Cast Performance and very expensive. The plated bullets are much more affordable and so I can practice recoil management and quicken my follow-ups.

But 360gn sounds like a one shot only recipe. By the time you retrieve the revolver from the tree it landed in the bear is probably on top of you...