The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
velocette

Ohhhh I like shooters that don't reload!

I finally made it to my local public range today. It had been a while. Range was crowded, range officers were working hard to maintain safety and order.
Most of them are friends and were pleased to see someone that they didn't have to worry about. (the stories I could tell about what I see at a public range)
Well anyhow, while the other shooters were downrange wondering where all their bullets went, I harvested brass. Brass brass brass. I collected a bag of .40 S&W, all I want, its everywhere (even after culling the glock-fired stuff). At least 60 .30-06, 90 .308, all once fired brass. A handful of .45 ACP and a few .38 spl. I could have collected 9mm by the shovel full and .223 by the bucket but I don't shoot those rounds. Sadly, there was no brass for .45 Colt nor any for Rem .222. I suppose that those that shoot these wonderful rounds all reload & never donate their brass to scavengers like me. In all I came home with a pile of new (to me) brass and at least a weekends worth of work to clean, sort, size, inspect, trim, etc etc. This of course in addition to the brass from my own shooting.

I hope those that are reading this have had at least as good a day or better.

Merry Christmas to all.

Roger
Old December 20, 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
oneounceload

You could have traded or sold the 9 and 223 for your 45LC

Last edited by oneounceload; December 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 20, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
flashhole

You could re-form the 223 brass to 222. I re-form 223 to 221 Fireball. It's a bit of work but well worth the effort for me. I especially like 5.56 military brass because it's webbing is thicker and I can neck turn/ream all of it to a tight fit in my guns chamber.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 20, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
medalguy

Both good ideas. I never, NEVER leave any brass that's reloadable on the ground. Even if I don't need it, I can always find someone using that caliber. And it's good trade material too.
Old December 20, 2009, 08:22 PM   #5
velocette

Geeez guys, Y'all should hie yourselves to Markham Park in Broward county Florida.
You can collect all the 5.56, 9mm, .40 S&W that your hearts desire. Also large quantitys of 30-30, and the brass from the Russian bolt rifle or at least I see a lot of it.

If you manage to find some .45 Colt brass or some .222, you can give them to me in payment for this tip on where to harvest brass.

Merry Christmas to all. :-)

Roger
Old December 20, 2009, 08:25 PM   #6
ccw08

I pick up any range brass I can find, tumble it, sort it, and keep what I need and give away the stuff I dont need. I have a friend that casts bullets and reloads a bunch of oddball stuff so I usually give him my brass and he hooks me up with bullets

I enjoy turning range brass into reusable SHINNNNNY brass lol, my favorite ones are the silver nickel or brass, whatever they are lol.
Old December 20, 2009, 08:34 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I saved a years worth of range pick up brass, and sorted and tumbled it. I then traded a lot of it off for my current load set up. The range where I go I can have as much as I can pick up. Thier saying is "if they wanted it they would have picked it up themselves before they left." I just love going there. Almost every weekend. If it is a nice day some people will come and burn a couple of boxes of ammo and then leave. I pick up all of thier brass. Yesterday I picked up 500 .357 sig and over 200 5.7 FN I will use them for trade fodder.
Old December 20, 2009, 08:35 PM   #8
oneounceload

If I was going to Markham Park, I'd be on the sporting clays course picking up AA and STS hulls, especially in 28 gauge......
Old December 20, 2009, 08:41 PM   #9
P5 Guy

So You're the One

That took all my 40S&W when I was changing targets.

That stuff has been reloaded about 10 times check for cracks. And It was from my buddy's Glock that I sized the belly back in.

Last edited by P5 Guy; December 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: To add a wise remark LOL
Old December 20, 2009, 08:47 PM   #10
velocette

P5 Guy;
Yup! I's de one. And your brass was bettah than all de rest that I stoled.

Merry Christmas to you and yours and thank you for your gift of brass.

LOL
Roger
Old December 20, 2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Kyo

except both the ranges i go to say that if you touch the brass thats not yours you get prosecuted. cameras and all. i pick up the amount of shells i shoot. and all of them are 45 auto. that way, im not "stealing" from them. i bring my own boxes of reloads and i do boxes by 50
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:02 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

KYO I keep a buch of .22 lr, and some steel cased commie ammo for the ranges that act like you are stealin even if you pick up your own:barf:. I just leave it on the ground for them. I have not been to a range like that in over a year. I find most of the places like that have outrageous prices for range fees, they offer rentals at high prices, and you have to buy thier ammo. Which usualy happens to be some crappy reloads that cost twice what walmart stuff does. That is why I am going to pay the $200 fee for membership a the range I frequent.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:53 PM   #13
ccw08

They dont want you to pick up the brass because either they pick it up or they have a buddy that does. It is such BS when I go to a range I WILL pick up my brass and if they dont let me then I will not go back there. I am an NRA Pistol Instructor and I will tell everyone who I run into that the range is like that, may prove a point when people no longer shoot there. No shooters=No Brass=No MONEY. If they cant figure that out they are pretty damn stupid.

The only time I have seen anyone harassed over brass pickin is when a guy kept walking up in front of shooting benches of people that were loading guns and shooting. There was a police officer and an RSO shooting with me, both of them approached him and told him to NOT walk out in front of people to get brass lol. Guess times are getting hard when people are willing to take a bullet to get the casings lol.

I did see some type of an ammo roller wire rake thingy that you simply push with a handle and it rolls on the ground and picks up brass, might be nice to have one of those.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:52 PM   #14
StainlessButcher

One range I go to from time to time for sighting in my rifles has 5 gallon buckets and a broom in each shooting area...they LIKE you to clean up after yourself. Next time I'm down there, I'm going to ask if I can empty those buckets for them...LOL.

Butch.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Caboclo

I shoot at a gun club; rather than hire a janitor, they require their members to clean up after themselves. You don't have to take your brass home with you, but you do have to sweep it up and put it in the trash can. And yes, I have dumped out the entire trash can on the floor and picked through it!

On another note, can someone post a pic of Glock-fired brass? I know about the unsupported chamber issue, but I wasn't aware that you could tell by looking at the brass. Does the same go for HKs?
Old December 21, 2009, 11:23 AM   #16
jal5

The time to go to the public range is late winter/early spring just after ice melts. All the guys who shot their new Christmas guns in the snow and left the brass there for me, thanks!
Old December 21, 2009, 11:24 AM   #17
Nate1778

Quote:
On another note, can someone post a pic of Glock-fired brass? I know about the unsupported chamber issue, but I wasn't aware that you could tell by looking at the brass. Does the same go for HKs?

Here is a pic of Glock brass, the primer has a distinctive rectangle left in it. Pretty easy way to see if it was fired from a Glock.

Old December 21, 2009, 03:14 PM   #18
ccw08

Glock leaves the slash mark on the primer like shown above, maybe that is why Glock is the BEST lol. Its like a dog peeing on a tree, its marking its territory on the brass lol
Old December 21, 2009, 03:25 PM   #19
azredhawk44

I hope you ASKED THE SHOOTERS if you could have their brass.

If not, I heap curses against you and your ilk.

I collect my brass too, but I actually train in such a way that I'm not scavenging every round the second it clears the ejection port... I practice use of speedloaders for my revolvers and magazine changes and target re-acquisition with my autos.

I've had parasitic scavengers come along the line and start nosing through my pile of .38, .45 or rifle brass because I wasn't immediately picking it up or I was in a conversation with another shooter and had to stop them from picking up my brass with a sharply worded "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?! THAT'S MY BRASS!!!11!eleventyone!1!"

I've had people like that disturb sets of matched .308 brass and that REALLY irks me.

To all scavengers: ASK FIRST!
Old December 21, 2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Doby45

I think he was asking for a picture more along the lines of a supposed unsafe piece of brass that has been "Glocked". If he never picked upa piece of brass simply because it had a rectangle on the primer he would end up not picking much up.

Caboclo, regardless of the brass being "Glocked" or not, I still pick it up and reload it. It would have to be so misshaped that there is no way you could not know it was jacked up for me not to reload it. Oh yes, other hand guns can and do "Glock" their brass. My HK USP40 did the same thing.
Old December 21, 2009, 06:08 PM   #21
ccw08

HK does a pretty job on a primer, still not a Glock though
Old December 21, 2009, 08:36 PM   #22
velocette

Gee guys, it's pretty easy to select glocked brass. 1, it's primer has not a dimple but a slash. 2, it's body has a little beer belly, just like mine, (but mine is not in brass)
Pick it up, look at it and you can see.
This is not to disparage glock pistols. They are fine, reliable, handguns. They go "bang" every time they are told to. Every time all the time. They do not like lead reloads, glock does not recommend reloads, so why should they be concerned about the ejected brass?
OK they are not pretty and they mess up their brass. SO WHAT.
Well, - - - - - I like my Browning Hi Power .40 mo bettah. SO WHAT?

(Perhaps I could chant :"My Browning pistol is prettier than your glock pistol" but all that that would get me is more folks telling me that I'm fulla s----/)

Merry Christmas to all, and a happy new year too!

Roger
Old December 21, 2009, 09:16 PM   #23
ir3e971

During clean up after shooting I gathered about 10ea 45 LC and about 50 357 mag, a bunch of 38, and some 45 ACP.

I almost never see 357 on the ground, and have never found 45 LC. Banner brass gathering day.

The folks to the right of me lit off a bunch of 10mm, but pushed it all downrange when they left. I dont shoot it, but am sure someone would like it, as I think it isnt that common.

I was quite happy with my find.
Old December 21, 2009, 09:32 PM   #24
rdmallory

Picking up brass cost me money

Every time I end up getting range brass I end up running across a new empty casing I don't have a gun for.

The last time was a 5.7x28.

Doug

Then come dies, for reloads.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:38 PM   #25
Scott_L

I've heard that Glocks don't like reloads, but I haven't heard that they alter the brass they spit out in a bad way. What happens to it besides the primer hashing mentioned above? Doesn't the decapping/resizing die reshape it anyway? I'm assuming that "bellying" means it swells out that case. I find my Hornady LNL AP fixes all kinds of mouth deformations - lightly stepped on and such. Wouldn't it correct this Glock problem?

I haven't reloaded any .40 for my Glock 23 yet, but it's next on my list. Is this a bad idea? I already bought the shell plate, dies, and 1000 Berry's 124gr RS bullets! I don't have another .40 other than the Glock either...

On the original topic here, I took a snubby class this weekend and nearly had anxiety attacks leaving my brass on the floor and having people walk all over it! On a positive note, only 3 of us had interest in the brass when it was over so we split it and I walked out with about 200 more rounds than I shot. Nice