The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 22, 2008, 01:33 PM   #1
imp

Best pistol for a suppressor

OK, I've been a gun collector for a while, but not till recently did I decide I wanted a suppressor. What guns work well with suppressors, and what caliber should I think about? I'm torn about what I want. Suppressed .22s are really quiet, 9mm's are OK but, but finding subsonic ammo isn't easy. Suppressed .45's are still kind of loud.

Which platforms work well with silencers. But the weight on the end of a moving barrel causes reliabily problems on some guns, or so I have read.

There are a few guns that I'm thinking about.

Sig Mosquito
Glock 19
H&K USP tactical

Anyway, what works, what doesnt work so well, and what brand suppressors should I be looking at?
Old July 22, 2008, 01:51 PM   #2
MisterWilson

I would say the Glock 17.

With the G19 you've got to use an aftermarket barrel while with the G17 you can use a G34 barrel and cut it down. Also, I've heard that the G17 is more reliable since there's less tilt in the barrel than with a shorter gun.

9mm is cheap, sounds better than .45, and premium 147's cost slightly more than plinking .45s.
Old July 22, 2008, 01:53 PM   #3
MisterWilson

Then again, the mosquito would have a much lower price of admission, cheaper ammo, possibly higher "fun factor"...

If you don't have any suppressors I'd start with the mosquito and an Outback II.
Old July 22, 2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Zak Smith

In .22LR, I've tried a bunch and prefer the Ruger MkII/III with a Pac-Lite upper.

In 9mm, the Glock 19 is a good choice.
Old July 22, 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
ssilicon

What does anyone know about .45ACP supression? Although it is a large caliber, it is a subsonic round and I should think would be supressable at least to some reasonable degree?
Old July 22, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Nagant revolver

WilddoasearchAlaska TM
Old July 22, 2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Tommygun1

I'm thinking about a Sig p220 .45 tactical, and a Yankee Hill cobra. My only drawback is that I've heard the .45 is pretty loud still. I've never fired a suppressed weapon..so I don't know. Maybe a p226 in 9mm would be better. Any suggestions out there? 15 more days and I can start the paperwork. My county sheriff said we can talk about him signing off, but he wants the state statutes that confirm their legality in my home state of Wisconsin. Anyone know where I can get him a printable document with all the info. he needs?
Old July 23, 2008, 10:23 AM   #8
aroundlsu

Everyone who has heard my .45 USP CT with my Blackside has commented "I want one!". If you just pull it out and start shooting it may seem loud at first. But shooting it next to unsuppressed pistols on a range and it is EXTREMELY impressive. I can shoot it indoors without hearing protection and outdoors without getting attention from the neighbors.

Biggest drawback to .45 is the ammo is so freaking expensive.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:15 PM   #9
PTK

Quote:
Nagant revolver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_Os0WWpFg

Old July 23, 2008, 02:24 PM   #10
chrismartin

You certainly have the basics down. .22 will be the quietest, followed by the 9mm and then the .45.

The .45 is louder simply because there is a half inch hole there for all the gases to escape.

I always recommend a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk1/2/3/22\45 as a .22 host. The Ruger is a little more quiet because of the bolt instead of the slide, but the buckmark is easier because you can more easily replace the barrel or have the stock one threaded (The Rugers barrel is attached to the receiver and not easily swapped out, you'll have to send the whole thing away, incuring greater shipping charges)

For 9mm, you can't go wrong with the Glocks. Simple design and very functional. More expensive options would be the Sig or HK's with factory threaded barrels (USP9SD and P226 Tactical)

Similar options for the .45, Glock, Sig, HK, even a 1911 if you like. If I were to go .45, my first stop would be the HK USP Tactical. Factory set up and ready to run.

I even built up a Marvel .22lr 1911 for use with my .22 silencer. It's nice.
I run that and the buckmark the most, followed by my Glock 17 (Lone Wolf threaded barrel) and my STI 2011 (Storm Lake threaded barrel)

The .22 silencers will be shot the most, hands down. I use it on the ones mentioned and my sons 10/22. They are great.

For all my silencer purchases, I would go to either AAC or SWR. You can't go wrong with either. AAC Pilot/Aviator, SWR Warlock/Spectre, AAC Evolution9, SWR Trident 9, AAC Evolution .45, SWR HEMS2. All are great and will function on everything mentioned.

If I were to by a .22 silencer today, it would be the SWR Spectre. It's steel and will handle .22 magnum, .17, etc. and you can take it apart to clean it.

For 9mm, it would be a toss up with the Evo9 and Trident9. Both offer a ton of mounting options and are very quiet.

(Hey, look at that, member since 2004, but this was my first post. Funny)
Old July 23, 2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Wildalaska

I would note that if you need info on suppressors, you need to contact our own Zak Smith, member here and at www.thunderbeastarms.com.

Why? Simple.

He makes em out of titanium. He is a shooter and his cans are for shooters. The guy is a fount of knowledge. His service is prompt and prices are reasonable.

I have his 30P on my Blaser. After listening to it, and looking at it, one of my customers ordered 2 right on the spot (a 30P and a .22 can)...

To my ears, his cans are as quiet or quieter than the "big boys". Our part time guy (3 tour decorated scout sniper) thinks Zaks are quieter than the ones the Army has. Plus, since Zak is a member here, a small company, and a recognized expert in long range shooting he wants you to be satisfied.

No matter what you buy, you need to talk to Zak first. The guy knows his stuff and is one of the several folks who post on this Board who is, IMHO, an acknowledged expert (not just a net expert)......

WildplugfinishedAlaska ™
Old July 23, 2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Pilot

HK USP Tactical. Its designed for a suppressor and already has the threaded barrel and proper sights.
Old July 23, 2008, 10:09 PM   #13
cpermd

Try the Mosquito first.
It has the worst trigger pull of any modern firearm.
It sucks!

CP
Old July 23, 2008, 10:41 PM   #14
GPz1100

Walther P22

same suppressor on Ruger 10-22

integral Ruger Mk-I

all are quiet on std velocity
Old July 24, 2008, 08:44 AM   #15
VUPDblue

What can is that on the Walther and Ruger? It's ginormous!
Old July 24, 2008, 09:06 AM   #16
GPz1100

the can is a simple stamped washer type that's extra long to use on the rifle. looks funny on the walther but it sure is quiet. the ruger is an integral with k baffles. not quite as long as a 10" goverment model and a heck of a lot lighter. it's quieter than the walther...

i picked up some federal std velocity target ammo cheap and it cycles great + quiet...
Old July 24, 2008, 02:13 PM   #17
GarrettJ

I suppose the answer would depend somewhat on how you define "best". Best (quietest) suppression? Easiest to cycle reliably? Most accurate platform? Smallest/shortest overall package?

See what I mean? "Best" in one category might not be best in another.

From the best reliability standpoint, something with a fixed barrel is often the easiest way to go. For a first can, a .22 muzzle can is hard to beat. Nearly all .22 pistols feature a fixed barrel. There are a number of quality units out there, and they are relatively inexpensive.

Of course, if you want something that will go "bang" every time, a single-shot, locked breach gun is hard to beat. Kind of like this:

However, it is a bit ungainly. If you want something that shoots more than a shot or two a minute, there are other options out there. As others have noted, a Ruger or Browning pistol is easy to use and the barrels are relatively simple to thread. Additionally, if the barrels are cut short enough, most "high-velocity" ammo will stay subsonic.

The nice thing about a .22 muzzle can is that you can move it around between different guns, and most everyone has a .22 rifle as well. You will find yourself getting most everything you own threaded... because you can.
Old July 24, 2008, 03:48 PM   #18
mtdew_

The P22 is the easiest & cheapest to suppress.

The USPSD will cycle light loads with a can mounted that a G17 will not
Old July 24, 2008, 04:31 PM   #19
AmesJainchill

BTW, while we're on the subject, does anyone know how Browning High Powers and their clones do with suppressors?
Old July 24, 2008, 04:45 PM   #20
Conqueror

Quote:
9mm's are OK but, but finding subsonic ammo isn't easy.
Not sure why you think that... 147gr ammo is subsonic and is available at every Wal-Mart I've ever visited.
Old July 24, 2008, 09:32 PM   #21
Scratchshooter40

Knight's Armament QD Suppressor

Try a Beretta 92 FS with a Knight's Armament quick detach suppressor. Great setup and reliable. Really works and so far has shown no tendency towards failure of any kind. I have a Class III dealer locally who stocks 9mm subsonic ammo and it shoots reliable through the system. Just add water, so to speak.
Old July 25, 2008, 12:50 AM   #22
imp

Well, I've decided to go with a .22 suppressor, but I've changed my mind about the gun. I have heard to much negative about the mosquito and walther p22 to get either one. I do have a Ruger MK3, and I think a Pac-Lite barrel on my frame will fit the bill nicely. Now I just need to find the right suppressor. The one I am looking at right now is the .22 TAC 65. Anyone know about this particular product?
Old July 25, 2008, 12:54 AM   #23
imp

Another quick question. If I buy a .223 suppressor, will it work with a .22lr handgun/rifle. If so, I might as well go that route, and kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old July 25, 2008, 12:56 AM   #24
Zak Smith

MkIII + Pac-Lite + small can = fun

............... Larger version of above photo.

The advantage of the MKII/III IMO is that it has very little gas/debris blowback when suppressed. Once I added the Volquartsen EDM extractor, it has run 100% with various subsonic ammo.

The downside of the MKIII in particular is that a replacement trigger without the annoying MKIII "safety" features is somewhat complicated to install. With such a light pistol, the factory trigger seemed about twice the weight of the whole pistol.
Old July 25, 2008, 03:06 AM   #25
WoofersInc

The Mark III with the Pac-lite upper is what I'm wanting right now. Problem is that nobody here in Vegas carries the uppers and I can't get someone to get me one. I have gone to both Tac-Sol dealers here in town and neither one will return my phone calls or order one for me????