The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2009, 11:44 PM   #26
stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1147
I shortened my COAL to 1.225" from my previous 1.260" loading the Lee Micro-Band 230 grain double ogive bullets I cast of 90/5/5 with Alox tumble lube, set the FCD for a fairly big crimp and full resizing, and did as a 4th step off the main press, still loading 5.9 grains of Unique (which I MAY bump-up slightly).
So I take it if you didn't shorten your OAL by .035" you still would have had feeding issues regardless of who's crimp die you use?

The bulge that bothered you is a non issue as long as it's under .473", well actually it's a safety feature. Ever notice that premium self defense ammo that has a cannelure on the brass at the base of the bullet? That's to prevent bullet setback, the "bulge" provides the same functionality.

Now that you're using the LEE FCD with cast bullets watch your OAL like a hawk.

Remember when you reduce your OAL you increase pressure. It's all about the case capacity. Reducing your load and working back up with the benefit of a chronograph would be ideal, though to be honest the 45ACP is a low pressure round and is pretty damn forgiving.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:00 AM   #27
steve1147

Quote:
So I take it if you didn't shorten your OAL by .035" you still would have had feeding issues regardless of who's crimp die you use?
Very possibly, I didn't try that. I just noticed the FCD wasn't putting a very 'clean' crimp because the top 'micro-band' wasn't deep enough into the case, but I also like the way the FCD makes the cartridges look more "factory" without that noticeable bulge in the middle.

I borrowed my buddy's old Army 1911 yesterday and ran 50 through it and 50 through my Glock 30, both at high speed and they functioned perfectly, so I'm not going to backpedal and mess with success! I know a few don't feel this is the "right" fix, but it works for me!

Thanks Everyone, I'll be in the basement today loading the rest of my .45 brass! So far I've been a terrible shot with the Glock, but that should improve now with practice. Steve W.
Old December 24, 2009, 08:01 AM   #28
Jim243

Steve

If it works, it's the right fix. I don't make my own lead, but use the FCD on all my 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP reloads now. While I don't crimp them, it makes sure the cases are the correct size for the respective chambers.

Good Shooting
Jim
Old December 24, 2009, 06:43 PM   #29
steve1147

Quote:
If it works, it's the right fix. I don't make my own lead, but use the FCD on all my 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP reloads now. While I don't crimp them, it makes sure the cases are the correct size for the respective chambers.
So you don't crimp at all? Not even with the main press? I set a VERY light crimp on the seat and crimp die just to get rid of a lot of the flare, then a HEAVY crimp on the FCD in step 4.
Maybe I'll try a few rounds with NO crimp, just sizing with the FCD and see if they work just for academic purposes.
Thanks, Steve W.