The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Savage32-20

Tumbler Media re-crushing?

Ok - I'm sure many people here have done this and i'm sure many new people will as well. When I got into doing the reloading and bought the tumbler I bought a 15LB bag of media (FA Corncob media at midway) 16/20 size.

What I didn't realize until I found this forum (and did my first run through) was that the media is too big to get through the flash hole, gets stuck in the primer pockets and builds up in the case.

Many have recommended the use of hampster/lizard bedding instead because it is smaller - and I do plan to go this route in the future when I purchase more. But right now I have more than half of this stuff left and don't want to buy more until I use it up. I read somewhere that someone said to re-crush it and make it smaller and was wondering if anyone had a good way of doing this.

I tried putting some into a connical coffee grinder (clean stuff not already used) and it came out the same size. The coffee grinder just doesn't go down low enough to crush this stuff any smaller.

I then decided to try the food processor - Pretty much the same result, the grains of media came out about the same size - but I did have powder residue all over the food processor and a bunch of powder in the bottom. So it did CUT the stuff up, just not with the desired result -

Anyone have a good idea of what to use to effectively re-crush/re-size media?
Old October 24, 2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Sevens

IMO, you are going about this in entirely the wrong way.

First off, you need your brass clean before it goes in to your sizing die, to get filth off the cases before you put them through the stress of resizing. This is better for your brass, makes the brass look better also, and it's MUCH better for your sizing dies -- you are cleaning the crap off long before you run the brass through them.

Secondly... nobody has ever found any vibratory cleaning machine or tool, or any kind of media in a tumbler or vibratory cleaner that will clean primer pockets. So the idea of running brass through a tumbler with the primers removed not only doesn't accomplish anything (and the pockets don't get cleaned), it does indeed get media stuck in the pockets and flash holes. Not to mention the fact I detailed above.

So... don't worry so much about your media, just bring your brass from the range to the tumbler and don't resize or decap before you clean them.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
snuffy

The stuff you have now is ok for polishing the outside of the cases. If a chunk gets stuck in the primer flash hole, it'll get driven out when you size and deprime the brass.

What you need for cleaning the lube from sized cases and polishing again is 20/40 grit corn cob available here;

http://www.drillspot.com/products/52...bs_blast_media

That's a 40 pound bag for 30 bucks shipped free. It's so small it can't get stuck in flash holes, AND it does a better job of polishing.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 24, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Secondly... nobody has ever found any vibratory cleaning machine or tool, or any kind of media in a tumbler or vibratory cleaner that will clean primer pockets. So the idea of running brass through a tumbler with the primers removed not only doesn't accomplish anything (and the pockets don't get cleaned), it does indeed get media stuck in the pockets and flash holes. Not to mention the fact I detailed above.
I have seen references to stainless steel tumbling media that will clean primer pockets albeit in rotary tumblers, not vibratory. If one absolutely feels the need to have clean primer pockets as a batch, it is possible.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/
Old October 24, 2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Deja vu

I recently started using an untrasonic cleaner. It cleans out the pockets and the inside of the brass very well. It does not look as shiny as the tumbler but they brass is very clean.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...