The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2011, 08:51 PM   #1
desert.bunny

Lee Dipper measure question

I bought a LEE hand loader for my 30.06 off ebay, and I think is pretty cool, but the data chart for the dipper does not correspond to the measure embossed on the little plastic dipper. Anyone know why?

The dipper say 3cc (If I recall; its in my tool shed), but the data chart lists 3.7 and gives no units.

I don't know what to think. Here is a typical entry from the chart for a 180 Grain Jacketed Bullet:

Powder Dipper Grains Calc'd velocity
H4350 3.7 50.00 2517

Ok, so to me everything makes sense but the 3.7.

Can anyone translate this into English?

Thanks

P.S. Any clean their brass in a dishwasher. I've read people use washing machines, but dishwasher get very hot and I'd think they'd probably do a good job.

Last edited by desert.bunny; October 22, 2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Another question about cleaning
Old October 22, 2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Adamantium

Perhaps the 3cc dipper is from a different set and got pieced together and sold to you? There is a 3.7cc dipper from Lee, I've got it myself. Getting the full set is a worthwhile investment and has sped things up for me alot. I find that my powder choices are even starting to be made by ease of use with a dipper.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Adamantium

I used the clean my brass in a 5 gallon bucket. If you aren't polishing it all you are really doing is cleaning gunk off and a bucket + some household cleaner will do the trick.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
desert.bunny

Hey Adam

Thanks. You may be right. I think I'll probably go out and buy the set. It doesn't cost that much.

What's all the fuss about tumblers. Is that just a volume thing? If all we need to do is get the gunk off, I think your bucket up suds sound right up my alley.

Thanks for your post!
Old October 22, 2011, 09:25 PM   #5
jmortimer

I got two sets so I could modify dippers if necessary to charge I want. The dippers will probably charge lighter than specified. Get a consistent dipping technique and you will get +/- .1 grain accuracy. Really like the dippers.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Adamantium

Tumblers are great if you have a progressive press because you can pop out an old primer and put a new one in 3 seconds later without having to let the brass dry. I've still got a single stage but now sell extra brass I find at the range to fund my reloading supplies so thats why I got a tumbler.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Adamantium

Quote:
Get a consistent dipping technique and you will get +/- .1 grain accuracy.
My prefered method is to scoop deep into the powder than lift out almost sideways so gravity carries the excess down. Yours?
Old October 22, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
P.S. Any clean their brass in a dishwasher. I've read people use washing machines, but dishwasher get very hot and I'd think they'd probably do a good job.
Do not do this, unless you have a dedicated "brass cleaning" dishwasher....

Primers contain lead (lead stearate, IIRC) and fired brass contains lead, hence all the warning not to eat/drink while reloading, due to lead poisoning risks......

.... you don't want lead on your dishes that you eat off of, right?

ETA: Correction- it is lead lead styphnate, not -sterate ...... still lead, and will still poison you and yours .... don't eat it.

Last edited by jimbob86; October 24, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:35 PM   #9
jimbob86

What color are your dippers? (Betting the 3cc one is red.)
Old October 22, 2011, 10:26 PM   #10
jmortimer

Lee Precision (Richard Lee) recomends pushing the dipper down into the powder, letting the powder fall-in and then taking a card/straight edge and swiping off excess. I scoop and gently shake off the excess. I get very close to the stated charge in the load chart.
Old October 23, 2011, 11:51 AM   #11
mikld

I can vary the amount of powder in a "scoop" by using different techniques. Some times I'll push the dipper into the powder bottom first, as Lee recommends, and level the charge with a straight edge (credit card). Sometimes I get closer to my intended charge by not leveling the charge. Sometimes I can push the dipper through the powder and level and sometimes just push through. Sometimes just a backwards dip and a bump, or a forward push through with a bump, whichever method gets me closest to my intended charge, as long as it is done the exact same way every time. Without using a scale I'll use Lee's recommended method (rarely happens though)...
Old October 23, 2011, 01:27 PM   #12
desert.bunny

Thanks for the replys

I will take the advice and NOT use my dishwasher!!
Old October 24, 2011, 07:12 AM   #13
Savage32-20

I've purchased the 30-06 lee pacesetter set as well as the REM280 Pacesetter set.

The 30-06 came with a 2.8 and the REM280 came with a 3.4 - While looking through the load data for both of these it looked almost like the two were reversed since the 280 typically took a lighter load.

What I did find out in the long run was that the dippers will only give me a very ROUGH measurement - depending on the powder you are using. I've had a full dipper (as listed on the lee load data) being +/- 2 grains or more. I've used 2 or 3 powders now and had the same 2-3 grain variance on all of them.

Your best bet is to use a scale ($25 new at midway) and use the dipper to load the scale. It will get you close - but depending on how much variance you have in your load (what's the min/max listed) you could be over the max with the dippers and not realize it. Or you could be under the min - I've started measuring every load because I wanted to be sure. Others here have decided to just use the Dipper and have had great success with it. I guess it's personal preference.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:26 AM   #14
desert.bunny

Hey Savage

Thanks for the post. I decided to buy the whole Lee set, yeah..it set me back $13.00 lol, but it could come in handy. Also, I did buy the scale and plan to use religiously.

Always good to get insights from those who went before! Thanks.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Chaz88

Have never used a dipper. I was wandering why you use them. Are they more accurate then a powder dump?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:48 AM   #16
desert.bunny

Chaz

The dipper came with the set and with the load data supplied is supposed to be the volume used for all the various loads. Trouble is the load volume on the data card did not match the volume on the dipper.

No problemo, I'm getting the whole set and I'll be using the scale to boot!!
Old October 24, 2011, 07:55 AM   #17
spacecoast

I use dippers (only) for all my reloading and like them very much. Make sure you use a scale to calibrate your dippers for each powder that you use. I found that some powders were in agreement with the chart and others were up to 20% light. I would also re-calibrate (or at least check calibration) when you buy a new batch of powder.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:30 AM   #18
jmortimer

Dippers are the safest way to charge. No need to weigh charge once you got the load where you want it. Due to lack of scale involvement once you get going they are fast and simple.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:07 AM   #19
desert.bunny

Spaceghost

Yes, I am hoping for the best. I know for certain that many people use them. I do understand that different powders can result it different weights. The manufacturing process can made a bigger or smaller bead and how the powder settles can vary.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:07 AM   #20
jimbob86

Accuraccy of dippers depends upon consistancy of tecnique...... do it the same way evey time and you'll get the same charge every time..... some can, and some can't.........

Tags
lee hand loader 30.06