The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 22, 2001, 06:31 AM   #1
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

accessing TFL

My TFL bookmark is linked to http://www.thefiringline.com/

When I click on it I am still going to the moving/downtime announcement. Email notification of threads is working and I am coming in to TFL that way...I just can't get to the front door
Old September 22, 2001, 10:01 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Cookie problem.
Rich
Old September 22, 2001, 10:46 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Have you tried hitting "Refresh" or "Reload" at the main page?

Old September 22, 2001, 10:57 AM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

hitting reload doesn't help. How do I fix the cookie problem?
Old September 22, 2001, 11:02 AM   #5
PreserveFreedom

On the front page of the forums, there is a link to log out. That should delete your cookies. If it does not, go to Start, Find, Files and Folders, and search for *thefiringline.com* (include the *'s). WHen you find the cookies that contain thefiringline.com, delete them manually.

Old September 22, 2001, 11:53 AM   #6
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Well, I logged out and received a page stating that all cookies had been wiped. tried to use my bookmark. Still got the TFL moving page.
Then I went to find and typed in *thefiringline.com* and came up with nothing. !?
Old September 22, 2001, 12:07 PM   #7
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

Take a look at http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/cookies.html

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old September 22, 2001, 12:38 PM   #8
Quartus

This doesn't sound like a cookie problem. Spartacus, do you have a "hosts" file? Or, perhaps you are running Legion?

Legion, or programs like it, take a look at your bookmarks and go out the the DNS server and get the IP address that is the 'real' address your computer links to when you go to a domain. Then it writes that information into your hosts file. That's in your windows directory. C:\Windows\hosts

It's just a plain text file. Open it with notepad or your favorite word processor, and see if there is a line for TFL. It will look something like this:

156.46.6.134 www.thefiringline.com

Delete this line. Save the file as a plain text file again. No file extension. Not "hosts.txt" , just "hosts".

Reboot. That should do it.

Having your bookmarks listed with their proper IPs in a host file saves time. Every time you click on a link, your computer has to go out to the DNS server and wait for it to return the IP before a connection can be established. If you have a hosts file, your compuyter does the lookup itself in your hosts file, which is much faster. The drawback is that sometimes people move to Washington and change the IP address. (Don't know it you really did that, Rich.) Then your computer still tries to connect to the old server, which may very well be up and running. So you get the wrong page.

Let us know if that helps....

BTW, if'n you ain't runnin' Winderz, you could still have a host file sumwhar...

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.

Last edited by Quartus; September 22, 2001 at 12:59 PM.
Old September 22, 2001, 07:14 PM   #9
Bud Helms

http://www.thefiringline.com doesn't work for me either. What does work is http://thefiringline.com.

I just got back on after two days of thinking the server was still in route to its new home.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:28 PM   #10
Quartus

Either works for me. It may be that your DNS server has not been updated yet. That sometimes can take a day or two.

DNS servers are the boxes that hold the database of what domain name belongs to what IP address. There are, perhaps, thousands of them, and they all gossip with each other, spreading the latest juicy tidbit of what domain name has changed to what IP address. And they all take notes and have very good memories, so that when you hit a link, the DNS server used by your ISP (which they may own, if they are big) should have the latest and greatest guest list. But sometimes the gossip chain is a bit slow, which can derail your surfing, to mix a metaphor.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 22, 2001, 09:10 PM   #11
Bud Helms

Yeah, I'm aware of that phenomenon. I don't think that's the case here. Maybe, but I totally missed the temporary shutdown warning message.
Old September 22, 2001, 09:16 PM   #12
Bud Helms

Ooops.