The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 22, 2001, 04:15 AM   #1
PreserveFreedom

Mailbox Full

For those of us that have used the PM feature a lot, you may have noticed that there is a limit to how many messages you can store.

Staff: Is there an option that can be set that would tell a user that he/she has a full mailbox other than emailing them? Email works fine, but the problem with it is some people check their email last...and when you are exchanging PM's with them, I always feel like I am dropping out of a conversation without saying, "goodbye," when I am told that they have a full box. They will eventually figure out what happened, but it could be a few hours.

Members: Remember, if you get several PM's, delete the ones that are not important. It is real easy to hit your limit and then you lose any messages until you have more room. I think that 100 is the current limit and that should be ample. With over 10,000 members though, it can fill up real fast! I try to stay in the habit of saving only messages that contain phone numbers and web addresses that I might need soon but have not had a chance to bookmark or put in my address book yet.

Old August 22, 2001, 08:32 AM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that the current limit for stored Private Messages is 70. It is the personal responsibility of each member to be sure that they don't exceed that number if they want to continue receiving PMs.

As far as I know, the only possibility for notification of reaching the limit is an autoresponse email.

Staff is looking into the rest of your questions as well as others that have come up lately. An update is on its way

-Dave
Old August 22, 2001, 09:56 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Quote:
Staff is looking into the rest of your questions...
Do you mean Staff as in the Moderators and Administrators of TFL or
Staff the mysterious Moderator?

Old August 23, 2001, 11:47 AM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Well the investigation is over.

After much Shiner... er.. I mean.. searching and investigating, Staff has determined that the 70 message limit is the cause of the problem that you (and others) were having. A key to deleting your old messages is to be sure that you are viewing more than the past 10 days worth of messages. (the default days viewed) You can change the days viewed on the PM screen.

HTH!
Old August 23, 2001, 10:10 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

I have received two notices of private message this evening.....and nothing new there. Just checked and had a total of 22 stored, trimmed that to four.

¿¿¿ Was wonderin if my box was full or sumpin else goin on ????

Sam......curious ol fat
Old August 27, 2001, 04:43 AM   #6
4thHorseman

My mail box has been getting full as little as 10 messages. I have to remember to delete them each time after I send them or recieve them, or it quickly adds up and I will no longer be able to recieve any more.
Old August 27, 2001, 04:53 AM   #7
PreserveFreedom

4thHorseman -
When you are in your mailbox, there should be a pull down menu that tells how old of messages to show. If you open the menu and select "Show All", I would be willing to bet that you find a lot more than 10.

Old August 27, 2001, 05:00 AM   #8
4thHorseman

PreserveFreedom, I will difinently give that a try. Thanks
Old August 27, 2001, 05:06 AM   #9
4thHorseman

I would also like to add, many times I will not have a pop up box to alert me to a new message. I either have to hit refresh or click on the Private Message icon to see if I have a new message. Some messages when I'm alerted by the pop up box are over twenty minutes old.