The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 10, 2018, 02:54 PM   #1
BIGR

Ruger Hawkeye SS FTW Hunter or Tikka T3X SS 6.5 Creedmoor

Left handed long gun shooter here that has shot right handed long guns for years, never a problem, but starting to be concerned if a case ever ruptured. All my Bolt Action hunting rifles are right handed. As I have got older in life I have been thinking about trying a left hand rifle in a smaller caliber than I have been using for mainly whitetail deer. Been using a 30.06 and 7 MM Magnum for years but would like to try something different, like a 6.5 Creedmoor.

That being said if I had to choose between the Ruger Hawkeye, SS, FTW Hunter or the Tikka T3X, SS rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor which one would you choose.

Some pros and cons would be welcome, I know the Tikka is going to be less in weight. Either one have a better stainless finish that would be more durable?

BEAR in mind money is not an issue and I am not here to debate calibers.
Old February 10, 2018, 03:49 PM   #2
oldscot3

I have a Hawkeye FTW Pedator in 6.5 Creedmoor but no experience with Tikka.

I like my Ruger, however, I confess the stack up butt spacers are a bit ugly though very functional. Not sure, does the FTW Hunter have those?

The other thing is, I'm not exactly over-the-moon thrilled with Ruger's scope mounting system. There's no base to work loose of course, but it's Ruger rings only. There are base adapters that attach to the Ruger receiver and allow other rings but that seems less than ideal to me.

Other than those two slight knocks, everything else is super. Rugged, reliable and accurate.
Old February 10, 2018, 04:00 PM   #3
BIGR

Yes the FTW has the spacers to adjust length of pull which is ok with me, I am tall and have long arms, so extra length of pull might be a plus.
Old February 10, 2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Don Fischer

I have no clue about one or the other. But, before you run out and do that, you might try to find a left hand shooter that'll let you try his rifle. Probably feel awful strange at least at first. I can shoot left handed but seldom do. Just feel's awkward to me.
Old February 10, 2018, 05:06 PM   #5
jackstrawIII

Between those two: all the folks I know that shoot Tikkas rave about the accuracy. I'd probably lean that direction and get it in 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creed, in that order of preference.

Enjoy.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:32 PM   #6
jmr40

I like Rugers. The CRF versions have a well earned reputation for being built like a tank and being as reliable as a hammer. If I were hunting something where having a rifle that had to work, no excuses for weather or anything else one of the Rugers in a CRF action would be very near, if not at the top of my list.

But if I'm looking for extreme accuracy, I'd look elsewhere and Tikka would be very near, if not at the top of my list.

My brother is in the same camp. He bought a left handed bolt gun a few years ago and didn't like it. He was so used to using a right handed gun from the left side that he found he preferred right handed guns. As long as he selects a gun with the safety in the right place he isn't handicapped in the least. He prefers Tikka and the new Ruger American because of the location of the safety. Hard for him to use the Hawkeye or a Winchester 70 from the other side.

I like your choice in caliber. The 30-06 and 7 mag will soon be gathering dust in your safe.

Winston Churchill
Old February 10, 2018, 07:42 PM   #7
oldscot3

I've heard the Tikkas are very accurate, but Rugers (at least mine) are no slouch. I have numerous targets in my file where my Predator has turned in 1/2 moa +/- five shot groups using a variety of bullets and powders. It even shoots my 125 grain Nosler Partition bullets sub 1 moa and they are very, very old lathe turned bullets.
Old February 11, 2018, 10:42 AM   #8
BIGR

Great information guys, keep the comments coming. Looks like either gun is hard to get right now in 6.5 Creedmoor, especially since they are left hand rifles. Also kicked around the idea of a Custom Built rifle, but that's going to get into some major money.
Old February 11, 2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Dranrab

For about 99.3% of all the whitetail hunting most of us do, the difference in accuracy between a Tikka and a Ruger will generally be insignificant. More generalspeak. Tikka very tight quality control and customer service you'll pray you never need. Ruger great customer service that you are more likely to need.

Not general. Ruger made in the USA by a company that takes an active role in the preservation of your second amendment rights. Tikka made overseas by a company that doesn't care about 2A.
Old February 11, 2018, 04:03 PM   #10
VoodooMountain

I would get thr Ruger over thr tikka any day of the week. I like th scope mount system, prefer crf, like the action , prefer hinged floor plate, etc.

I must confess to thinking tikka is overrated. They are fine and obviously a lot of guys love them but I think they feel cheap and plasticy for their price. Ruger American is half the price and feels just as good aside from the stock. But I digress.
Old February 13, 2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Tallest

I work with a guy who has the Ruger FTW in .308. He hand loads 165 grn Hornady SSTs. Now, he is a MUCH better shot than I am (or will probably ever be), but he's grouping .5 MOA at 100yds. To me, that is as accurate as you'd ever want a hunting rifle to be, and it borders on target rifle accuracy.

Rugers seem to have a reputation for being great guns that aren't the most accurate. I've had that thought myself... in the past. Recently, I would take Ruger of Remington for accuracy.

That said, I'm not taking anything away from Tikka! They are very nice guns, but for this conversation, I feel compelled to sit in Ruger's corner.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 13, 2018, 08:33 PM   #12
south_ridge

I have a Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. I own a fair number of centerfire rifles (and have shot many more for groups), and the FTW is the most consistently accurate centerfire rifle I've ever had my hands on.

I shot it quite a bit last fall. It shot ~ 0.5" groups with regularity. Most important (to me), it experienced no change in point of impact from warm days in September to cold days in December. That's more important in my book than group size.

Put me in the Hawkeye FTW camp. Plus I just think it has a much better feel than the Tikka - a little more heft, CRF, 3-position safety, rock-solid scope mounting, etc.

SR
Old February 14, 2018, 09:05 AM   #13
BIGR

Quote:
I work with a guy who has the Ruger FTW in .308. He hand loads 165 grn Hornady SSTs. Now, he is a MUCH better shot than I am (or will probably ever be), but he's grouping .5 MOA at 100yds. To me, that is as accurate as you'd ever want a hunting rifle to be, and it borders on target rifle accuracy.

Rugers seem to have a reputation for being great guns that aren't the most accurate. I've had that thought myself... in the past. Recently, I would take Ruger of Remington for accuracy.

That said, I'm not taking anything away from Tikka! They are very nice guns, but for this conversation, I feel compelled to sit in Ruger's corner.
My local gun dealer had the Hawkeye FTW in a right hand .308 and it really caught my eye. He let me fondle It (HA, HA) and check it out one day. I really like the looks and the feel in my hands, but as I said my next bolt rifle will be a left hand version. The matte stainless finish was real nice, not too shinny. The bolt handle is pretty shinny, but maybe that could be coated, I don't know if it matters. I also liked the opportunity to adjust the length of pull on that rifle. I am about 6ft 3 in tall and have long arms, so a longer length of pull felt pretty good with it.

The rifle is a little heavier than I was looking for but what is a pound or so when just hunting a short distance from the camp or truck. Its not like I am hunting the tall mountains like I use to do. Not sure if I care much about the muzzle brake, but I guess while hunting I could just put the factory cap on it, and use the brake during range sessions.

All in all it seemed like a good solid rifle. I have never owned a Ruger centerfire rifle, but two of my hunting buddies at camp use (Blued /Wood) 1970's Ruger models in .270. That's the only rifles they deer hunt with and they swear by them.
Old February 14, 2018, 03:27 PM   #14
Tallest

Quote:
I am about 6ft 3 in tall and have long arms, so a longer length of pull felt pretty good with it.
I understand. I'm 6'8", and finding adequate LOP is tough. I find that if it's less than 13.5" from the factory, I'm going to have to do something to modify/extend it. I know that the system on the FTW is less than beautiful, but if makes the gun what you need to be to accomplish that perfect, clutch shot in the middle of a hunt, you'll be glad you have it.

I really can't say enough good things about Ruger rifles. I'm currently borrowing a friend's older M77 .280 just for fun, and it's a joy to shoot, even with standard furniture.

Again, I'm not anti - Tikka, but I don't think you'll regret walking down the Ruger path.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan