The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 5, 2018, 01:41 AM   #1
Geezerbiker

Rather late hunting report...

I found this in a box of old family photos. It was sent by my great uncle Harold Rambo to my grandfather. The hand writing on the back is hard to read but the pic was taken in Pendleton, OR but unfortunately there is no date on the back and I can't make out the date on the license plate on the car....

Old January 5, 2018, 06:33 AM   #2
eastbank

I wonder if they tasted good after the ride home. eastbank.
Old January 5, 2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Tallest

That's an awesome picture!

It's interesting to see how much is different as well as how much has stayed the same. I'd pay a pretty penny to step into that scene for a few minutes!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 5, 2018, 10:31 AM   #4
zipspyder

Awesome pic. Your family got take out!
Old January 5, 2018, 10:34 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Ahhhh, I remember those days. deer tied to fenders and roofs of cars. Those were the days when the only folks with a pick-up truck lived on a farm. Small trailers were unheard of and besides, folks just loved to show off their deer.....any deer. Back of the truck or in a trailer, no one woulda saw it. I member as a kid, when my dad and other grown-ups would go out west to hunt. Everything they shot and brought home was tied outside the vehicle and rode the 2000 miles back in the rain/snow/heat. It's no surprise that "western deer" tasted so strong............

I remember my folks getting a new Turquoise, 1957 Plymouth Belvedere. My dad thought the big rear fins would be a great place to carry deer, and they were. Only problem was, the blood permanently stained that pretty Turquoise paint my mother loved so much.
Old January 7, 2018, 05:18 PM   #6
North East Redneck

Great picture. Thanks for sharing it.
Old January 7, 2018, 05:40 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
Ahhhh, I remember those days. deer tied to fenders and roofs of cars.
It's not that hard to remember "those days" for me .....Not fenders, but I have strapped carcasses to the roof of a Chevy Venture as recently as November 2012 .... it was an interesting year .....
Old January 7, 2018, 06:11 PM   #8
FITASC

lower right corner of the plate looks like it might say 26
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 7, 2018, 06:52 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
Those were the days when the only folks with a pick-up truck lived on a farm.
Cars back then were essentially all SUV's and designed for road conditions much worse than most guys drive off road today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnfRU2QnI0

Watch to end.

Winston Churchill
Old January 7, 2018, 06:57 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Watch to end.
The 1920 weighed 1/4 what the 2010 truck did .... and would haul 1/4 the payload, I imagine .....
Old January 8, 2018, 12:45 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
lower right corner of the plate looks like it might say 26
It could be. I've looked over the original pic and it's not that big and it could be 1926 or 27 or 27 for that mater. It does say ORE above the date.

I've been trying to figure out the make of the car and the only thing I can say for sure is it's not a Ford...

Tony
Old January 8, 2018, 01:00 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I remember my Father doing the same with his 31 Model A back in the early 50s. Big Marquette Michigan buck driven to Chicago tied to the passenger side front fender. Engine hoods being louvered back then I can imagine many a deer transported in such way with their hide left intact ended up a little more than just game'ee tasting.
Old January 8, 2018, 04:15 AM   #13
Ibmikey

I’ll bet every dog and cat in the neighborhood met the vehicle as the “hunters” returned home. No wonder moms hated venison claming the strong taste was unpleasant,,,,.a ride in the sun next to a gasoline engine would make anything gamey.
Old January 8, 2018, 09:18 AM   #14
shootbrownelk

That radiator emblem looks like a Whippet. I have one stashed away for a future hotrod. I can't make it out very well from the picture, sure looks like it to me.
Old January 8, 2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Geezerbiker

The front fenders on the car are rather unique. The thing on top of the radiator is a temp gauge. It was a common accessory since cars didn't have coolant gauges on the dash back then... The badge on the top of the raditor is to washed out for me to get anything from it. It's too bad my great-uncle didn't date the photo...

I did some searching last night trying to find out when Pendleton got paved streets but no luck. It's a bit of a back water town here in Oregon and there's not a lot of history about it on line.

I didn't think about engine heat effecting the game before it was mentioned here. I think it would have make a bit more sense to tie the deer up to the trunk platform at the rear.

Tony
Old January 8, 2018, 03:17 PM   #16
Geezerbiker

With the possible ID as a Whippet, I did some more informed googling, at it seems the 1928 Whippet is a match for the car in the pic. So it's likely the pic was taken maybe as late as the mid 1930s.

I'd still like to find out when the streets were paved in Pendleton....

Tony
Old January 8, 2018, 04:07 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

My guess was pre-1935, allowing for those '20s body styles to still be common enough.
But, I see that you've nailed it down a bit better.

A little exercising of the Google-Fu shows that that style of license plate was only issued from 1921 to 1926, and the number layout and sequence favors 1926.

Some photo comparison shows that it could possibly be a '26 Whippet. Several grille, radiator, shroud, and headlight styles are seen on pretty much all years, including '26. And '26 was the year that the Overland was phased out (along with its different fenders), with the Whippet taking its place (and also using left over parts, most likely).

And, hey, you could buy the 1926 Coach model for only $535!
Old January 9, 2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Jack O'Conner

Nice bucks taken with iron sight rifle(s). No one hunted with scopes back in those days.

My Dad (1922-2004) hunted with iron sights until about age 50 and was very successful.

Jack
Old January 9, 2018, 04:24 PM   #19
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
My guess was pre-1935, allowing for those '20s body styles to still be common enough.
But, I see that you've nailed it down a bit better.

A little exercising of the Google-Fu shows that that style of license plate was only issued from 1921 to 1926, and the number layout and sequence favors 1926.

Some photo comparison shows that it could possibly be a '26 Whippet. Several grille, radiator, shroud, and headlight styles are seen on pretty much all years, including '26. And '26 was the year that the Overland was phased out (along with its different fenders), with the Whippet taking its place (and also using left over parts, most likely).

And, hey, you could buy the 1926 Coach model for only $535!
Thanks for the link. From the looks of it, it could also be a 1927 plate. Either way, they took what was a late model car out hunting.

I'm not sure if it's right but US inflation calculator shows $535 in 1926 dollars translates to about $7500 in today's money. My father used to say that in the 1920s a skilled laborer would only make a dollar a day. Considering the cost of silver now, that's still not very much....

Thanks for all the help figuring out the details of this pic. It's something that I've been wondering about for a long time...

Tony
Old January 9, 2018, 06:14 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

When production got underway on Model Ts, Henry Ford raised worker pay from $5 per day to $10 per day. Needless to say, his workforce bought Fords.

In 1942 my grandfather paid $1.25 per day for grunt labor farm work.
Old January 9, 2018, 10:33 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

If I could buy even a "well worn" '26 Whippet for $7,500 today, I'd have half a dozen in the driveway.
Life's more fun at a slow pace, and driving is more fun when you're an itegral part of the machine.

I believe the '27 plate is a no-go, due to the layout.
"ORE" over the year, on the right side, was used '20 through '26; but it went to "OREGON" at the bottom of the plate for '27 (also a standard size plate in '27, rather than the 'skinny' plate).

Regardless...
I forgot to say before that that's a great photo. Very cool.
Old January 10, 2018, 06:15 PM   #22
Geezerbiker

I went back and looked at that page of plates and you're right, it has to be 1926. I'm not sure if I trust that inflation calculator. I don't know how they could have built and sold a car like that for an equivalent of $7500...

I was thinking about the 49 Ford coupe project car my brother had when I was a kid and how much I'd like to have that car now...

Imagine the crap one would take for bringing a deer home like that now a days... Not from the public as much as from the old lady....

Tony
Old February 1, 2018, 08:19 PM   #23
gw44

Coming home from the U.P of Michigan with my dads buck strapped to our 51 chevy we had to stop at ever bar on the way to show off the deer, dad would get a free beer and I would get a pop, I was sick for two days !!!!