The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 17, 2001, 09:03 PM   #26
Rome

Aw, you're being too generous. I think you'll be surprized as to just how fast this thing actually arrives in your mailbox. I actually received the literature before I got the license. I'll tell you what. If you win, I'll even send you my snow shovel. I don't need it anymore even though we had a ton of snow here in Northern CT. Mich, however, makes us look bad in the snow catagory.

Keep me posted. I'll be interested to see just when it does arrive.

R
Old March 19, 2001, 11:56 PM   #27
thumbtack

I have a C&R Lic. and I love it if a new forum was started.
Old March 29, 2001, 07:43 PM   #28
Bruegger

Don't have a C&R but I sure like Mausers and restoring old greasy beat up ones. I'd definitely enjoy such a forum.
Old March 29, 2001, 09:50 PM   #29
Rome

I agree. There are many aspect of C&R outside of the actual collecting. Many of us purchase older, military or antique firearms and a C&R forum would provide a place for us to post our questions:

How do I get the stupid cosmoline out of my hair and out of the wood?

What was the sling on the Hakim made from ?

How many MAS 49/56 were made and are they C&R eligible?

Etc, etc.

So, MasterGods of TFL, I think we could use a C&R format so that those of us who are attempting to preserve the history of firearms can have a place to "chaw the fat". What about it?

Rome

PS Adam Firestone-aka Cruffler, indicated that he'd "help" with the forum but not actually be in charge of it. Adam, I hope you don't mind me saying that here!

R
Old March 29, 2001, 10:08 PM   #30
CRUFFLER.COM

Ok, .. ok. . . what can I do to help?

Adam
http://www.cruffler.com
Old March 29, 2001, 11:06 PM   #31
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the offer, Adam.

An answer will be forthcoming.
Old March 30, 2001, 07:00 AM   #32
Rome

Oh Boy, oh boy!
R
Old March 30, 2001, 09:07 AM   #33
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

This is the first I have heard of a C&R license. So far it sounds interesting but somehow I am missing something …

Please explain the advantage of having such a license. What dose it enable me to own that I cannot already legally purchase? With a license issued by the ATF I am assuming that there are detailed records that must be submitted and kept and some obligation to submit to random unannounced inspections as with an FFL.

I love historical weapons … but how specifically is a C&R license an advantage?

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old March 30, 2001, 09:53 AM   #34
Rome

You're right in assuming that you can legally purchase any firearm right now under "regular" circumstances. Let's say, however, that you find a really nice WWII rifle out in Washinton State. Normally, you'd have to have the rifle sent to an FFL in your state, pay him to do the paperwork, have it submitted, go through the background check, and finally pick it up. With a C&R, (which is a type 03 FFL), you'd simply pay for the rifle and have it shipped directly to your house. No background, no papers to file, simply pay and pick up. Now, this only extends to weapons which qualify for C&R designation as outlined by an extensive list published by the ATF.

Look, you're exposing yourself to the gubmint every time you buy a weapon. With the C&R, you're basically filling out the paperwork only once and then only you are responsible for the paperwork on yourself. As a matter of fact, the C&R application takes about 2 minutes to complete and submit.

So, the biggest advantage is that with an C&R, you can purchase any C&R qualified pistol or rifle from virtually any state in the union by simply paying for it. Gun shows are even better. Walk in and walk out without any hassle at all.

Finally, with a C&R, you're helping preserve some firearm history which might normally fade into obscurity. The way it looks now based on the constant rise in cost of the military weapons over the last few years, I'd way it is really catching on, too. Check it out. I'd hope that others who have been doing this for years will also reply here.

Rome
Old March 30, 2001, 10:15 AM   #35
CRUFFLER.COM

Let's not forget that supply houses like Brownells and Midway offer discounts to C&R holders.

Adam
http://www.cruffler.com
Old March 30, 2001, 10:51 AM   #36
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Ah …

The advantages are becoming a bit clearer.

What of full autos such as a vintage WWII BAR or “Grease Gun”? Would their “collector” status override the need for a class 3 in lue of a C&R?

As far as a new forum I would be of the opinion that it is at the very least worthy of consideration.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old March 30, 2001, 11:08 AM   #37
Rome

Adam will be able to tell you all of the legalities about this but suffice it to say, any overriding legal restrictions do apply at all times. Full automatic weapons notwithstanding. I will tell you however, if you go to the BATF website, go to the FFL section, find the C&R list, and you'll be overwhelmed with what is considered C&R elegible. Make a point to check it out.

Rome