The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 23, 2002, 10:24 PM   #1
rr41mag

.43 spanish

A friend of mine has a .43 spanish that he wants to reload using cast bullets and blackpowder. I have personally reloaded for years and am familiar with most all reloading processes however this is a different realm. I guess the powder is still measured by volume. Do the cast bullets need to be lubed? If so I guess they need to be sized and lubed too?.......... What are the precauitions when handling blackpowder and reloading modern cartridges? I know that you don't use the smokeless powder measure. Where could I find reloading data for the .43 spanish and blackpowder? Any other help would be appreciated. Also I was told that .43 spanish brass could be reformed from .348???? He has some of this brass but how do you go from the .348 to the .43? from looking at it, it seems it may need to be fireformed or run through another die of some sort. the .348 may not be correct so don't hold me to it.
Old January 23, 2002, 10:42 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

don't know about the 43 but..

i reccomend reading the Lyman black powder Handbook.

Typically with black powder loads the powder is added to achieve 100% cappacity. The powder is filled to a level where the bullet just slightly compresses it when seated.

Get a book or two on the subject, there are several tricks to accomplishing a quality load, fillers, etc. Although you can get plenty of good advice here.

FYI, I have had good success with Goex Clear Shot black powder substitute in brass cases. ( i havn't tried Clean shot this is a different beast)

And by the way Do not use your standard powder measure for blackpowder, this can be dangerous (BOOM)

Good Luck

JM
Old January 23, 2002, 10:44 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Basically, with BP, you fill the case to the point where the powder is compressed by the bullet when it is seated.

Don't leave any airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder, or you can leave a nasty ring in the chamber.

Yes, bullets must be lubed, not only to prevent leading, but also to keep the powder fouling soft.

A lube-soaked base wad is also a good idea, as it protects the base of the bullet as well as gets more lube into the bore.

The first step would be for your friend to have the rifle checked over by a competent gunsmith to ensure that it is safe to shoot.

That should include a chamber casting and bore slugging to ensure that the chamber is in shootable condition (many of the old guns aren't, due to corrosion), and to see what caliber the thing really is. Many of these guns had wildly varying bore sizes. The joys of old production.

There are a number of good books available on prepping and shooting black powder cartridge rifles. Midway and Dillon carry them.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 23, 2002, 10:52 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

If you referin to the 11.5X57R Spanish....oft refered to as the .43 Spanish. Cartridges of the world list the military load as 395gr bullet, 74gr of Fg black.

Lyman cast #454485 works.

Do your homework re workin with blackpowder.

Sam
Old January 24, 2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

Yahoo has groups you can join. There is one about cast bullets, one about blackpowder cartridge guns, etc. One of these sites (sorry I don't remember which one) has just had a VERY long discussion about loading the 43 Spanish. You might find that interesting.

I've got a 43 Egyptian. The other thing about it, and I think your gun, is the bullet diameter. RCBS, however, has a couple of moulds. One is a special order and much more expensive. The regular production version however is the one you want. NEI also has moulds.
Old January 24, 2002, 05:34 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Kenneth L.Walters right.
.43 Spanish bullet diameter is .454.

Sam

Last edited by C.R.Sam; January 24, 2002 at 09:52 PM.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:37 PM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

Kenneth L. Walters nor Ken Waters!
Old January 24, 2002, 09:53 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Sorry, fingers outran brain....edited.
Sam
Old January 14, 2010, 08:29 AM   #9
BDX

@ C.R. Sam et al, .43 Spanish Bullet Size

Bullet size can vary depending on the release version of the 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block. For instance The .43 Spanish normally takes a .439" bullet, but the Reformado version takes the .446" bullet.

I highly recommend slugging the bore of these weapons to be sure to get the proper bullet size. The Rolling Block action is great from an operational standpoint but offers little protection to the shooter's face and head in the event the block action is overcome by an improper load. Please, take the time to properly size this weapons bore.

Last edited by BDX; January 14, 2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 14, 2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

This thread is almost EIGHT years old, and a number of the people who participated in this thread originally haven't been to TFL for years.

A reminder to everyone...

If you're going to bump an ancient thread, think about what you're doing.

If you want to use an old thread as the springboard for a NEW series of questions, that's generally a lot better than replying to the old thread as if it happened yesterday.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread