The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2010, 04:44 PM   #1
cameo1

Rookie Case Length Question

Howdy,

I am new to reloading and new to the forum so bear with me. For now I just want to reload my 30.06 shells which have only been fired once. I recognize the need to follow a clear, consistent and accurate routine, so I am trying to learn one step at a time. It will be way down the road before I attempt to get fancy. So far I think I am figuring out everything up to, but not including priming, adding powder and seating the bullet. Unfortunately, I have nobody to show me, "hands on". My first of what will likely be many future questions is this: The books shows 30.06 case length at 2.494. After cleaning, de-burring and trimming my cases, they range from 2.478 to 2.481. I am just using a simple handheld case trimmer. So is this an acceptable range? How consistently sized should all the cases be?

Thanks!
Old January 10, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
gman3

Howdy back

Are they new cases? If so then you are good to go as they are a little short, the usual spec for .30-06 being 2.484 to 2.494. When they are fired and resized a few times and stretch in length beyond 2.494 then you would use your case trimmer to trim them back to 2.484. How many times that you are able to fire them will depend on the type case (brand) and how intense the pressure of your loads are. I would suggest getting some books on reloading and study them before you make any bullets. Its not the hardest thing in the world to learn to do, but it is important to stay within the published guidelines for the cartridge that you are using. The consequences of a mistake or error can be very serious to yourself and others nearby.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:01 PM   #3
johnw63

I am new too. I just read "The ABC's of Reloading" and am getting Lyman's 49th Edition book on reloading to read next. I found a ton of videos on reloading on YouTube, just search reloading, handloading, lee classic turret, dillon or hornady and you'll be able to find vids that show people doing actual reloading. Good Luck. After I read Lyman's I'll hopefully have enough $ saved to get started.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Trim to length is 2.484" on that round. You're good to go. You're a little short but if you're using the Lee system, there is nothing you can do about it. Load 'em up and fire at will.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:44 PM   #5
ka041a

Did you full length resize these cases? Oftentimes when i full length resize my cases they grow .010" or more in length. If you're using the collet neck sizing dies that might explain the shortness. Always check to see if the empty, unprimed cases will fit into the chamber of your rifle easily. Having to force the bolt closed and use too much force to extract them is a sure sign that the cases need to be full length resized. What i find odd is that once fired cases should have stretched out to fill the entire chamber and should not be short.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
cameo1

Thanks

Thanks everybody. I think I have discovered the error of my ways. I was dutifully following the instructions which said to trim the case. However, since the cases have only been fired once they probably don't need trimming since they haven't stretched out any appreciable amount. I think what I wasn't getting from the directions is, measure the cases first and trim if needed.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:23 PM   #7
chevelle383

You got it, most newer cases will be short. Measure them as you resize them after being fired.
Old January 12, 2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Whits_Mac

I also have a rookie case length question. Im from the mechanical world and am used to having a spec and then a permissible deviation. When my .223 spec says 1.750 trim length, what is the plus/minus to that? I guess what im trying to get at is, my manual case trimming seams to be off from 1.746 to 1.751 in any given group that I trim. Its driving me nuts because I want them all to be exactly the same, but its not working out that way. Are the 1.74's ok to use or should I just toss them?
Old January 12, 2010, 07:12 PM   #9
mapsjanhere

Too short is usually better than too long. After the next firing they're the right length again. For rifle cartridges that head space of the shoulder it doesn't really matter (unless you're an accuracy fanatic going for 0.1 MOA groups).
Old January 12, 2010, 08:13 PM   #10
medalguy

I'll throw in two things. First, a variance of .005 is negligible unless you are trying for 0.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Second, always refer to a good reloading manual because in SOME cases you need to trim after every firing. .30 carbine comes to mind because the case headspaces on the mouth and it is very length sensitive. Safety first!
Old January 12, 2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Whits_Mac

Maybe your book says .005 is ok but my books dont touch on the subject. They just say trim to xxx. Thats why I asked. Thanks for the .005.