The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2020, 09:50 PM   #26
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
Oh I'm sure there will be a learning curve ...lol

I took it out on the back porch...yep a new or another light will have to be looked at for sure...looks like maybe 50-75 yrds....and 75 might be stretching it a touch

Snow didn't seem to have much of an effect.... But I for sure want at least 150yrds of illumination......so more light

I may take you up on the tricks....but first I got to get it on the ar and sighted in....get some load data installed and see just what I really have..lol

Thanks for the offer to help out.....your friend probably has some very good insight on the ins and outs of these scopes

Ocharry
the snow didnt have an effect just cause of how crappy the factory ir illuminator is
http://www.sniperhawglights.com/66LR...-p/66lrxrl.htm
if u do get that be sure to pick up the mount with it u most deffinatly want an adjustable light mount

will get u out 5-600+ yards

whatever u do get make sure its 850nm in any brand

yeah she does

Last edited by mel80; January 11, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old January 11, 2020, 11:00 PM   #27
mel80

if anyone is curious heres the difference between the 3-14x x sight hd ( older scope) and the 4k pro 5-20 ( new version )

823 yards on the x sight hd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYGJtPX_pxk

and 1150 yards on the 4k pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33LKATuXx04
Old January 13, 2020, 11:23 AM   #28
mel80

i have got to take the brake off this thing , not sure if i wanna just put a thread protector on it or a flash/blast can , or just a flash hider ,anyone got suggestions
Old January 14, 2020, 09:36 PM   #29
ocharry

Hi mel

Would it be ok if I PM you about my 3-14 4k scope ?? If so when would be a good time??

I have some issues and I dont know if it something im doing wrong or if the scope is having a problem

I got it mounted and zeroed,,, I did the zero thing a couple times just to fine tune it,,, everything looked good

So tonight I had it out in the dark to line up the ir light,,, I did order the 66 ir you recommended, ,,,, but im not sure if I have a lemon scope or not,,,

It was only around 40* and it didnt seem to like being on night mode,,, at first I thought it was to cold,,,, but surely it can stand colder than that

It did freeze up a few times and the screen went all white a few times,,, sometimes the screen would freeze but all the other stuff seemed to work,,, sometimes it would let me switch back to day mode and then back to night,,, other times it would need a long hold on the off button to get it off and back on and be ok for a few minutes,,, then do something stupid again,,, I dont know ,,, maybe im doing something wrong,,, I played with it for about an hour

I did like the instructions said,,, full charge before I started anything,,, then did the firmware update,,,, seem ok,,, but tonight,,,, uhhh,,, not so much

Frustrating

Ocharry
Old January 14, 2020, 09:53 PM   #30
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
Hi mel

Would it be ok if I PM you about my 3-14 4k scope ?? If so when would be a good time??

I have some issues and I dont know if it something im doing wrong or if the scope is having a problem

I got it mounted and zeroed,,, I did the zero thing a couple times just to fine tune it,,, everything looked good

So tonight I had it out in the dark to line up the ir light,,, I did order the 66 ir you recommended, ,,,, but im not sure if I have a lemon scope or not,,,

It was only around 40* and it didnt seem to like being on night mode,,, at first I thought it was to cold,,,, but surely it can stand colder than that

It did freeze up a few times and the screen went all white a few times,,, sometimes the screen would freeze but all the other stuff seemed to work,,, sometimes it would let me switch back to day mode and then back to night,,, other times it would need a long hold on the off button to get it off and back on and be ok for a few minutes,,, then do something stupid again,,, I dont know ,,, maybe im doing something wrong,,, I played with it for about an hour

I did like the instructions said,,, full charge before I started anything,,, then did the firmware update,,,, seem ok,,, but tonight,,,, uhhh,,, not so much

Frustrating

Ocharry
u can pm me anytime , if u have an sd card in the scope remove it some sd card will cause instability issues and see if that solves the issue , and also always do a reset after updating the firmware

first big thing is to write down ur zero cordinates , reset will wipe out ur zero
Old January 14, 2020, 10:15 PM   #31
ocharry

Thanks Mel

I will pm you tomorrow sometime....got to take GF to the doc in the morn

Well I do have a sandisk 64 extreme card in it...and I exported the setting to it when I got it where I wanted the zero...but I will jot it down

I did reset when I put the firmware in...firmware numbers changed....took that right in..no problems....and the export sight settings too

Maybe I got something turned on I shouldn't...but without the SD card...lol...no video..lol

Talk tomorrow my friend...maybe we can figure something out

Thanks again

Ocharry
Old January 14, 2020, 11:23 PM   #32
mel80

my 4k has been extremely picky about sd cards, was also told not to use anything over a 32gb gb card in it ive been using 16gb cards , and the card has to be a class 10 card

i bought some spare sandisk cards off amazon , and the scope wont even detect them, my older xsight works just fine with them , if ur card came from amazon etc i would suspect the card right off the bat

some symptoms of a card causing issues are scope not booting or booting up and not dis0playing widgets/crosshair, randome freezing of the scope , and specially the scope freezing up when taking pics or recording video

using obsidian 4 app on a smart phone or tablet is known to cause the scope to freeze up , the app for the 4k is junk i dont even try to use it anymore , just incase u were trying to use that

anyways drop me a pm tommorow and ill get back to ya soon as i see it
Old January 17, 2020, 10:27 PM   #33
mel80

heading out for some shooting this weekend

1000/1500y with the grendel. Going to go for 1 mile & 2000y+ with the creed and see how it does
Old January 18, 2020, 12:00 AM   #34
riffraff

Sorry if you mentioned this already - I saw Aero upper but is actually an Aero barrel or who's?

thx
Old January 18, 2020, 12:03 AM   #35
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
Sorry if you mentioned this already - I saw Aero upper but is actually an Aero barrel or who's?

thx
wilson barrels on both this creed and my grendel
Old January 20, 2020, 02:51 PM   #36
mel80

broke my buffer spring , its deff needs and adjustable gas block , i knew that ahead of time i just didnt expect it to break the spring so damn fast
prolly going to give one of theese a try
https://suparms.com/collections/adju...ss-steel-matte
got rid of the really cheap bipods to and went atleast a lil better with theese

ive got a new flat wire sring arriving tommorow
Old January 20, 2020, 08:40 PM   #37
stagpanther

Broke a buffer spring? I've tried my damndest to break just about everything on an AR--but I haven't ever managed to break a buffer spring! How did that happen? Supralitive arms makes excellent adjustable gas blocks.
Old January 20, 2020, 10:10 PM   #38
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Broke a buffer spring? I've tried my damndest to break just about everything on an AR--but I haven't ever managed to break a buffer spring! How did that happen? Supralitive arms makes excellent adjustable gas blocks.
cheap spring ? i dont know but i know from the first round i shot it was way over gassed throwing brass out at about 1-2oclock and far , didnt think it would actually break anything though

i got the whole stock/buffer/spring/tube as a unit havent had an issue with it on the other shorter barreled creed

new good spring and adj gb on the way
Old January 26, 2020, 10:32 PM   #39
mel80

got a stike industies flat wire spring , and actually upgraded the bolt while i was at it , still waiting on the gas block ,hopefully no more issues
Old January 26, 2020, 11:44 PM   #40
stagpanther

That buffer looks like it might be a short PA10 style buffer (DPMS used one also on their SASS)--which is shorter than the standard buffer length for a carbine buffer tube buffer.
Old January 27, 2020, 12:00 AM   #41
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
That buffer looks like it might be a short PA10 style buffer (DPMS used one also on their SASS)--which is shorter than the standard buffer length for a carbine buffer tube buffer.
hmm thanks ill have to check on that, if it is ill order up a different buffer
Old February 11, 2020, 11:16 PM   #42
mel80

been playing with some 90g speer tnt loads moving at 3350fps so far , down right nasty on small varmints

not shooting to bad for a starting load squares on target are half inch ignore the hole on the top left

also been working up some 123g nosler comp loads moving out at 3150 fps theese are shooting at about .5-.6 of an inch at 100y for a 5 round group and im going to be trying out some 140/142g loads here soon