The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2019, 12:07 PM   #1
jmtbiggin

SKS Magazine?

Bought a Bubba special Chinese SKS. Has custom camo stock. Yuck. No mag. Looking for steel 5 round magazines. Recommendations?

Last edited by jmtbiggin; December 14, 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old December 14, 2019, 12:54 PM   #2
smee78

I had good luck with the 20 round Tapco mags. They ran fine in the one I had with their Tapco stock installed.
Old December 17, 2019, 08:21 AM   #3
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtbiggin View Post
Bought a Bubba special Chinese SKS. Has custom camo stock. Yuck. No mag. Looking for steel 5 round magazines. Recommendations?
How much of a "bubba"?...Years ago I ran the gamut of after market duck bill SKS mags. So-called high cap, detachable mags. This included 10, 20 and 30 round mags as well as the Red Star 20 round non-detachable mags....NONE of them were reliable!

These mags were used in both Russian and Chinese military carbines and proved to be a serious waste of time and money. Of course you will hear other opinions but I wonder just how much shooting is involved with these mags leading to a conclusion that they work as intended.

If it was me I would try the original, 10 round fixed magazine that was INTENDED for use in the SKS and get some good condition 10 round stripper clips and become adept at the operation, Some of these mags may not fit and as in all things SKS you might have to try a few. Unless you intend to hunt with the weapon and laws mandate a 5 round capacity.

A lot depends on how much and where the original weapon was altered. IMO, these weapons should be left in the original.
Old December 17, 2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Ben Dover

I use the Norinco fixed 20 round magazine. No alterations to weapon. Slip in, slip out.

Several thousand rounds of both Norinco and various Russian ammo without a hiccup.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 17, 2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Is 922r still in effect? 5 rds, good to go. Over 10, could be a problem.

Original 10 round fixed, fifteen bucks on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/c/1934601033
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 17, 2019, 02:17 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Have a look at these. No idea if they're any good though. Like JJ45 says, a lot depends on how that 'custom' stock has affected the mag well.
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/all-maga...5-round--steel
"...on ebay..." Buying or selling there directly finances the people who want to take your firearms away from you.
Old December 18, 2019, 05:26 PM   #7
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
How much of a "bubba"?...Years ago I ran the gamut of after market duck bill SKS mags. So-called high cap, detachable mags. This included 10, 20 and 30 round mags as well as the Red Star 20 round non-detachable mags....NONE of them were reliable!

These mags were used in both Russian and Chinese military carbines and proved to be a serious waste of time and money. Of course you will hear other opinions but I wonder just how much shooting is involved with these mags leading to a conclusion that they work as intended.

If it was me I would try the original, 10 round fixed magazine that was INTENDED for use in the SKS and get some good condition 10 round stripper clips and become adept at the operation, Some of these mags may not fit and as in all things SKS you might have to try a few. Unless you intend to hunt with the weapon and laws mandate a 5 round capacity.

A lot depends on how much and where the original weapon was altered. IMO, these weapons should be left in the original.
Tapco mags work. I haven't read any reviews that said otherwise. I went through a couple thousand rounds with my 20-round Tapco mags without a hiccup (Wolf ammo primer cup issues, which was not a mag issue). I never tried anything other than the original 10-round mag and the Tapco mags. Tapco has the SKS mags in 5, 10 and 20 round capacities.
Old December 19, 2019, 09:24 PM   #8
HJ857

The important thing about the Tapco mags is that they cannot be squeezed in to the magwell at all. If the fit is tight, they will jam. Just open up the magwell and the Tapco mags will run all day long.

Tapco has this in the product instructions.

One note, unless Tapco has changed their materials or design in the past 10 years, the magazine lips can weaken over time, so you may have to keep an eye on them after a couple thousand rounds.
Old December 19, 2019, 10:30 PM   #9
jmtbiggin

Thanks for the pointers. Decided on a used OE magazine off eBay. The reviews were inconclusive on aftermarket, lots of yay and nay. Wanted reliability and durability.
Old December 22, 2019, 04:39 PM   #10
veprdude

10-rd fixed are the best for reliability. I've had issues with the 20 round fixed that have the star on them.

Fit and finish for aftermarket "duck-bill" mags go to tapco. Haven't tried them but own and have sold some. The worst are probably Cobray or anything metal with a plastic follower. These are for people who want the SKS to be an AK-47. They can't be and you have to choose one or the other.
Old January 1, 2020, 10:21 AM   #11
SEHunter

Ive got a larger capacity USA magazine for mine. Its an older metal duckbill. It jammed every once in a while then I spent a little time polishing, filing, and bending in a few key areas. Now i can fast fire and empty the whole mag without any ftf. I dont use it much simply because its so large and hits on everything. Have the factory 10rd mag back in it now.
Old January 1, 2020, 01:54 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

There are three paths followed by SKS owners:
1. Factory 10-round is fine. They never screw with other stuff.
2. Experiments with detachable mags, eventually resulting in going back to a fixed 10-round mag.
3. Experiments with detachable mags, eventually resulting in selling the SKS and buying an AK.
Old January 1, 2020, 05:47 PM   #13
SEHunter

With a mechanical mind and patience, its not impossible to make a steel duck bill magazine feed well with a little trial and error. The SKS is a fine firearm. If its sold for magazine related purposes, thats a shame in my mind. Unless one is overcome by the tacticool movement, in no scenario besides real world battle is the stock configuration of an SKS insufficient. JMO, of course.
Old January 1, 2020, 05:50 PM   #14
FireForged

10 round fixed is the only practical way to go
Old January 2, 2020, 06:18 AM   #15
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
There are three paths followed by SKS owners:
1. Factory 10-round is fine. They never screw with other stuff.
2. Experiments with detachable mags, eventually resulting in going back to a fixed 10-round mag.
3. Experiments with detachable mags, eventually resulting in selling the SKS and buying an AK.
That and Fireforged describe it best IMO

Trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse when without realizing it you already have a silk purse and are going to create a sow's ear Only my opinion and you can see how many opposite opinions there are.

The 10 round intended, fixed mag and stripper clip operation is not all that slow with some practice. You can also carry about 200 rounds (heavy?) in the surplus, 10 pouch, chest rigs. I don't know if there is a practical way to carry many duck bills. Possibly with an AK rig with the "bills" sticking out?

You will lose a round or two from an SKS stripper when the clips are carried in a chest pouch, as the end cartridges seem to wobble and easily work loose from the clip. I have found that bending the clips flat springs up a little, in the direction of the cartridges, helps hold the cartridges a little more snug but doesn't totally eliminate the problem
Old January 2, 2020, 10:16 AM   #16
chadio

Another vote for the 10 round trapdoor that they were originally equipped with.
Old January 6, 2020, 11:38 AM   #17
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
With a mechanical mind and patience, its not impossible to make a steel duck bill magazine feed well with a little trial and error. The SKS is a fine firearm. If its sold for magazine related purposes, thats a shame in my mind. Unless one is overcome by the tacticool movement, in no scenario besides real world battle is the stock configuration of an SKS insufficient. JMO, of course.
"real world battle" for the individual rifleman, as opposed to an infantry company, is a different ball game.....

Suppressive fire by a rifle squad actually is a tactical consideration. Not so for us individual riflemen. Especially since we don't have full auto capability.
Old January 23, 2020, 12:26 AM   #18
Ignition Override

"SKSboards" website:

A quick scan on the Romanian, Russian, Albanian etc forums should be persuasive enough to convince people to use only original 10-rd. SKS mags, except -possibly- for either the D or M series (I can't remember which) which was Designed to use only AK mags.

My first look at the website in 2007 was enough confirmation.