The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2015, 03:10 AM   #1
molinee

20 Gauge Pardner and Pardner Youth differences????

I have a 20 gauge Pardner and a 20 gauge Pardner "Youth". I just noticed that the Youth model has a thinner overall barrel outside dia (OD). I noticed the differences when I tried to swap out a Choate synthetic forend and there was a huge gap between the barrel and the forend on the Youth model. Wouldn't the thinner barrel on the Youth be less safe than the thicker Pardner barrel?
-Just wondering and thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old July 13, 2015, 04:15 AM   #2
skizzums

That's strange. I thought there was no difference besides stock length. If it is thinner, i guess to reduce frontend weight to make pointing easier for kids. Interesting. I don't know about less safe, can't see why. It can either handle the loads or it can't, may wear out fastrr
Old July 13, 2015, 04:23 AM   #3
idek

One is no more safe or less safe than the other. Shotgun shells don't generate as much pressure as most centerfire rifles, so they don't need super strong chambers or barrels (this is also why H&R/NEF centerfire rifles have different, stronger receivers than the their shotguns do).

The youth barrel has a thinner contour simply for the sake of making the gun lighter for smaller shooters.
Old July 13, 2015, 01:16 PM   #4
molinee

Makes sense to me....... Thanks to All for info.
Old July 14, 2015, 01:15 AM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

I assume that the thickness of the barrel walls is sufficient that both models are safe. I am guessing that the thinner walls of the youth model may be more easily dented. An adult being able to handle the weight, and possible preferring a heavier gun, may not feel the less rugged barrel is worth a reduction in weight. The lighter barrel may possible be less expensive to manufacture, which would better enable a manufacturer to offer an introductory youth model, but I doubt that to be a consideration.

Come to think of it I looked into buying a Pardner a few years back and that sucker was heavy.