The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1
olds442man

Beware of Richard's Microfit Gunstocks

I purchased a laminant wood stock from Richard's Microfit Gunstocks Inc. in Sun Valley, CA. It was to be a 99% press-fit inlet gunstock. However, when it arrived (2 weeks late) it did not have a hole for the box magazine nor the magazine release buttons. I took the stock to a gunsmith that could not help me because of backlog and he said it is 95% finished at best. I have tried to call RMG to no avail, all lines on their phone are always busy, it sends you to voicemail which is always full. I have sent numerous e-mails with no response. In addition I have faxed a note to call me again with no response.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:05 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

That's too bad. I will +1 on the beware of them. My stock arrived something like 4-6 weeks late, and although not completely missing inlets, was not cut properly for the Savage rifle it went to.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:26 PM   #3
5whiskey

Many of the guys on the savage forum have had this problem with richards. They have good prices, and I would have no problem paying their price for something that I have to spend a couple of 3 hours working on to shape. I mean, we have to finish the stocks anyway. What I do have a problem with, however, is them advertising a 99% press fit and it's more like a 80%. And for once just be real with people about finish times. I still think some people purposfully mislead people on the turn-around just because they are afraid that they will lose that persons business if they say "2 or 3 months". They say 3 to 4 weeks, knowing it won't be, and get the payment up front so you're forced to wait the 3 months. Bad business practices...
Old May 22, 2007, 01:40 PM   #4
olds442man

I am ticked in the lack of response to all my calls and e-mails. I can't seem to find a gunsmith in my area to fit the darn thing. I am not sure I want to attempt to try it myself for fear of ending up with something that will not work at all. My rifle is a Savage as well. Where is the Savage Forum?
Old May 22, 2007, 01:44 PM   #5
fisherman66

http://www.savageshooters.com/

I have yet to have an e-mail answered by Richards. I plan on using Great American Gun Stocks for my project. They are a little pricer (even with me supplying my own walnut), but I have seen their work and it's top notch.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:47 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Yap. They seem to be intentionally under-quoting the delivery times and the amount of finish work you'll have to do. Bad business practices indeed.

On doing finishing work, I would have been quite happy to remove some material here and there to finish it. As it was, they took off *too much* material - way too much, and obviously you can't add back the material. Since the material erroneously taken off that didn't need to be highly interfered with the integrity of the anchoring of a screw (not mere cosmetics), had to send it back.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:48 PM   #7
5whiskey

I'm sorry, I didn't mean the guys at the savage forum sold or shaped stocks (though some of them do). I was talking about richards the whole time with the low price bit, but low price or not thats no excuse for false advertising. For the money I would buy it and fit it, but they want to advertise it as a drop in for those that don't want to do any fitting. Gets them more business, and it ticks me off. Thererore I will never buy anything from them, low priced or not.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:50 PM   #8
olds442man

Wheeler

I was asking about the Savage Forum because I wanted to check it out.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:52 PM   #9
olds442man

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the Riverside CA area?
Old May 22, 2007, 05:06 PM   #10
taylorce1

I can't say that I've had the same problems with Richard's Microfit. I've had good luck with the three stocks I've bought from them so far. Two of the stocks I bought shipped right away because they were close outs and in stock. The one I had made for me was over due so I called and they satisfied my questions and I saw my stock about four weeks later. I wasn't in a rush anyway for the stock.

All of the ones that I've bought have came in and were about 95-99% pre fitted to the action. All have needed some work but none have needed as much work as yours has. Did you accidently order a stock made for a blind magazine? I'm sure they could have made that mistake as well on their own.

The stock I orderd for my Savage 93 .22 WMR fit beautifly, it needed the least amount of work to fit the action to the stock. I only had to open up the barrel channel to get the heavy barrel to fit properly.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:35 PM   #11
olds442man

I told them the model of my rifle which is a Savage Arms 111FCXP3, it only comes in one configuration, with a box magazine. I have tried calling a few times a can not get to talk to a human or leave an electronic message. They don't respond to e-mails either. I am anxious to get it so I can get some target practice before a hunting trip in Oct. I have heard that some gunsmiths have backlogs of months.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:03 AM   #12
srtrax

Back about 10 yrs. ago, i ordered stocks from Richardsons for a few customers who wanted them. One ordered two stocks, if i remember right, one lefty in some brand and a righty for another brand of rifle. Delivery back then was 3 to 4 weeks, but they screwed the whole order up with the right to left thing, i had to send them back at my cost and they did make it right.(4 monyhs latter) Dont know what the fit was like because the customer done all of that. But the one i did was for a Savage and it was over cut and had gaps in the inletting, luckly the customer went with a bedded gun, or it would have had to be returned, it worked out. I told everyone after that , NO MORE RICHARDSON'S! I blasted them on a recent thread and more or less shut the thread down, looks like there still *-@!%# people around. When i would call i got this feeling the lady on the phone was fileing her nail and chewing gum and making bubbles, and could give a rats ass what i wanted and that was a long time ago! (guess they havent changed.) While im at it there was the best looking Remington 700 black walnut stock on e-bay a couple months ago that was out of sight beautiful, one of a kind,would have gave my left walnut for it. It was semi finished by Richardsons. What a shame! Thank you, i do feel better now!

Last edited by srtrax; May 23, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:11 AM   #13
fisherman66

What an eyesore. All those wavy reflective lines and mineral streaking.:barf:

Old July 4, 2007, 12:42 PM   #14
olds442man

I got my stock back from the gunsmith. They did a great job fitting it to my rifle. It has great balance now, which is what I was looking for. The extra weight is also a nice benefit. It looks real good. I have sanded, stained and put a few coats of oil on it and it is starting to look real good. A few more coats of oil, some sheen and conditiiner and finally bees wax and I will be all set. In the end I will be happy with it. The only drawback is I now have a entry level rifle that has cost me $930
Old July 4, 2007, 10:18 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

I bought one years ago. Besides the fact that it wasn't nearly as close to being done as they suggested, there were cosmetic issues that couldn't be remedied. I won't buy from them again.
Old July 28, 2007, 07:42 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

Richards.

In all fairness, they DID, at least, promptly issue a refund when I had my troubles.
Old December 5, 2007, 06:54 PM   #17
boomaster

Richard's Micro-fit gunstocks

Richard's Micro-fit gunstocks is the worst business I've ever ordered anything from. I ordered a stock and paid for it 9 months ago. I've emailed them and called them countless times and never get a returned message. Like so many other customers, their mailboxes are always full and when you do leave a message, their promise to return your call never happens. Your emails never get answered either. They send me pamplets and their gunstocks do look great. I do hope to get the stock I ordered some day, but I'm not holding my breath. I have keep the copy of the money order and all the emails I've sent them and received from them along with a copy of all the calls I've made. I think soon I'll see if my attorney can do something about this problem. Is there anyone else out there that's had this problem with them? All I've got to say is Buyer Beware!!!!!
Old December 5, 2007, 10:34 PM   #18
UniversalFrost

I have seen similiar threads on Richard's stocks, but all the complaing was over their savage stocks.

I personally have ordered 2 stocks for my REM 700's and one for a 98 mauser and they were in excellent condition and were shipped with in a few weeks of ordering.

I would only hesitate to order a savage stock from them based upon the lengthy amount of negative feedback. Anyway, I don't own a savage and never will again, so I need not worry.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 5, 2007, 11:59 PM   #19
Bigfatts

I had a bad experience with Richard's too. My stock was for a short action Savage and it ended up being fubar as well. The action screws were drilled off, the front one about 1/2" too far forward. They wouldn't take it back either. So I was stuck with a bogus stock. I filled the forward hole and redrilled it, now it's just plain ugly.
Old January 14, 2015, 03:21 PM   #20
archeratlrg

Richaard's Micro Fit

I guess I just have to put in my two cents here. I've been a custom stockmaker for 40 years now and have had Richard's blank out many pieces of wood for me over the years. Yeah, at times it takes longer than anticipated to get my wood back but only once did I have an issue with workmanship. Unfortunately it was on a piece of presentation grade Myrtle. Since it was my own wood they turned, the ate the cost of turning it and I was able to make a repair that was unnoticeable in the end. Aside from that, I've always had good work from them on my own wood BUT, I make sure each piece of wood I send has explicit instructions attached to it and a request to call me before they start work to make sure each piece is done as I want it.

LeRoy
Roy's Custom Gunstocks
14792 Springwood Rd.
La Pine, OR 97739
Old January 15, 2015, 11:04 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

A lot can change in seven years, as it's been since this thread was last active.

If new information comes to light, feel free to start a new thread. In the meantime, I'm going to close this one.
Closed Thread