The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2018, 06:22 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Savage 110 trigger guard

I'm trying to help a friend with his Savage 110. The Front trigger guard screws is stripped out an missing. The trigger guard is cracked around the hole for the front screw. He doens't have much money right now so I'm trying to do this for the lowest cost.

I think I can repair the trigger guard for now but I can't find the screw anywhere that the shipping isn't horrendous. Any suggestions?

Tony
Old December 1, 2018, 07:02 PM   #2
std7mag

Try Numerich.
www.gunpartscorp.com
They've done good by me in the past, whenever i needed something like that.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 1, 2018, 09:36 PM   #3
olddav

I believe the bolt is a 1/4" x 28, length is 1.6" approx. Your local hardware story should have one.
Old December 2, 2018, 02:34 AM   #4
Geezerbiker

I was able to find a pair of action screws and ordered them. Since the new ones are allen head rather than slotted I figured replacing both of them would be a good idea.

Until I took the rifle apart I though the rear trigger guard screw was an action screw and that's why I thought the hole was stripped out.

This poor rifle hasn't seen the best care but the bore is bright and I cleaned and oiled it up pretty well. It could really use to be reblued but that's not my problem...

Tony
Old December 2, 2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Jim567

I have a steel trigger guard for a Savage model 11. He can have it if it will work. PM me for pictures,
Old December 22, 2018, 03:57 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

Now that the rifle is back together and home with its owner, I thought I'd post a pic and talk a bit about what I did to it. First off I wasn't that familiar with Savage 110 rifles when I offered to help with this one. When it came to me, it was already the second day of elk season and he was just now dealing with changing the scope. Since he was already someone I knew, I loaned him my M70 Winchester and a box of my best hand loads and sent him on his way. Thinking I would have it done by the end of elk season.

Originally I thought one of the trigger guard screws was stripped out but on this rifle that was the hole for the rear action screw and it was missing. To make things worse, the front action screw was one for a plastic stock not a wooden one. All the usual places I buy gun bits were out of these screws. I managed to find a pare of stainless ones on fleabay so I nabbed them 12 bucks. A member here graciously donated a steel trigger guard so the project was on...

The bluing was gone on most of the barrel and it was beginning to rust between the stock and barrel. I cleaned up the rust then wiped down the barrel with paper towels and acetone. I didn't have approval to spend more than the cost of the screws so I sprayed the barrel with molybdenum lube then went over it with a heat gun. This gave it a good looking (if not permanent) finish to protect it from rusting.

I was getting ready to button it up when I discovered it had about 1/8th inch of slop in the bedding. So I used 5 minute Gorilla epoxy to glass bed it in. I also before I did the job, I epoxied in a nylon bushing between the stock and the action and ground it down to clear the trigger group with a die grinder. The bushing was about .003" proud of the stock after I sanded it down to the shape of the underside of the action.

I used a set of Weaver stepped rings to mound the new scope and the project was done.

This is a bit long winded for about an hour and a half of real work. All the other effort was gathering the stuff up to do the job...

I'm having problems with the pic but I'll have it up soon...

Tony
Old December 22, 2018, 04:06 AM   #7
Geezerbiker

Let's try this again...

It's still coming out huge but I'm not sure what to do about that...

Tony
Old December 22, 2018, 07:50 AM   #8
std7mag

Fine job.
Don't you love it when a simple job ends up being much more?

I have to admit, when i was reading the description of the condition of this rifle, i had to wonder about the returned condition of your rifle....

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 22, 2018, 12:13 PM   #9
RC20

What SN (xx o on last two or 3 numbers fine

Looks to be an old one.

Caliber?
Old December 22, 2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Geezerbiker

My Winchester came back in the same shape it left in. I was a bit concerned about my steel tube Weaver Scope but that was unfounded...

I no longer have the rifle to look at the serial number but he said it was his father's rifle that was bought new in 1986....

I like the way the finish came out so well, I might do the same to one of my rifles. It looks good and is very weather resistant...

Tony