The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2015, 06:46 AM   #1
pete.bauer

Browning Gold Sporting Clay - Jamming 2nd Shot

I recently picked up a used 2004 Browning Gold 'Sporting Clays' model. This gun had a lot of use but doesn't look abused. I'm having issues with the gun reliably cycling loads while shooting clays. After firing the initial chambered round it ejects fine and brings the next round up but many times it jams when closing the action. Tried a wide variety of ammo with similar results. I'm shooting 1 1/8oz. Gun has been cleaned well. Today it jammed 5 times shooting 50 rounds.

Any suggestions or ideas? I've included a picture of a round when it jams.

Thanks,
Pete

Old July 6, 2015, 08:40 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I owned three of these guns over the years. I never had one that worked perfect. They are fussy about the load being used in the gun. What size shell and shot charge are you using? If too light, they won't cycle correctly. You may also need a new spring in the stock that pushes the bolt closed. If shot a lot they compress after a while and won't push hard enough. My Beretta's need to be replaced after around 10,000 rounds. When laid next to a new one, they'll be two inches shorter!
Old July 6, 2015, 12:13 PM   #3
FITASC

If a selection of premium ammo does not work, and the gun is clean, either springs-as mentioned above- need replacing, or there might be an issue on the lifter. Don't forget to also check mag tube spring when checking main recoil spring.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 6, 2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Grant D

Just a guess, but have you checked the gas ports to see if they are clean?
I've had that problem with a gas operated shotgun.
Old July 6, 2015, 05:38 PM   #5
FITASC

Now that I can see the pic (Ipad previously) check the crown of the shell to see if it has a nice rounded curl to the edge. Some ammo isn't as "rounded" as others and that can cause hangups as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 6, 2015, 06:13 PM   #6
BigJimP

Cleaning it well....to me....means the trigger group and everything has been removed...and cleaned.../ and lubed where appropriate. If that has not been done - it should be your first thing.

If that doesn't fix it ...then it might be springs...or the ammo - or some of both / photo looks like you're running a high brass Federal shell..../ I'd try some Remington STS shells ( 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz should not matter / it should run both and low brass 2 3/4" ....its the velocity that matters primarily ) so make sure its a shell that is at least 1200 fps or maybe a little faster.

11 yrs old ....no way to really know how many shells have been thru it / replacing all the springs - so you have a baseline for usage would be a good plan even if they look ok. I think Brownells has a spring kit for it.
Old July 6, 2015, 06:22 PM   #7
BigJimP

Here is a link to an illustrated parts breakdown for the Browning Gold semi-autos..../ this might help you identify the parts you need to replace.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/CTGY/C-016-5