The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 25, 2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Jimboh247

False Advertising?

I bought 50 rounds of 9mm ammo from a reputable reloading company.

What they were advertising was "9mm 115 gr. XTP Hornady New". This lead me to believe that it would be Hornady brass, in a Hornady box.

Well....what I got was 9mm, 115 gr. XTP bullet in Ammoland brass, in the company's own box. The only thing Hornady about the deal is the bullet, and I was absolutely certain that would be new!

Was I expecting too much? I'm playing tag with customer service right now. Should I shake the tree and see what falls out?

The price was about 1/2 per round of what a round of Critical Defense runs. I wanted to see how well my SR9C was going to cycle before paying $1.00 a round for Hornady CD.
Old June 25, 2014, 04:06 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Who?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 25, 2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Jimboh247

Let me see how this plays out before I start naming names.

What do you think? I have dealt with the company before and have ALWAYS got what I thought I should have got.
Old June 25, 2014, 05:32 PM   #4
DT Guy

I would have read that as "New manufactured (by the vendor) ammo with a Hornady XTP bullet"; that's how most smaller loaders list their ammo when a name-brand bullet is used specifically.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old June 25, 2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Jimboh247

I'm waiting on them to play their hand. Maybe they'll be nice and send me some swag....
Old June 25, 2014, 06:04 PM   #6
TXAZ

Sorry to hear that. I got bit once like that and said it wasn't worth the slight difference in price for the concerns I had, and just buy new now
Good luck on a positive resolution.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 25, 2014, 06:30 PM   #7
Jimboh247

I went ahead and ran a magazine of it thru tonight. It cycled fine. No hiccups.

I guess you get what you paid for. I've still got some decent hollow point rounds that cycle the pistol fine,so......
Old June 25, 2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Have a quality pic of the ammo box?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 25, 2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Jimboh247

I still waiting on the response from customer service. I really don't want to start smearing someones reputation until the issue is resolved. I'm not totally convinced that it wasn't my misunderstanding.

I'm going to give it a day or two and then let you know what they said. I just wanted to know what everyone thought about the description and what you would read into it.
Old June 26, 2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Can really make a determination without seeing what was advertised.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 27, 2014, 12:21 AM   #11
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboh247
I bought 50 rounds of 9mm ammo from a reputable reloading company.
What they were advertising was "9mm 115 gr. XTP Hornady New". This lead me to believe that it would be Hornady brass, in a Hornady box.

Well....what I got was 9mm, 115 gr. XTP bullet in Ammoland brass, in the company's own box. The only thing Hornady about the deal is the bullet, and I was absolutely certain that would be new!

Was I expecting too much? I'm playing tag with customer service right now. Should I shake the tree and see what falls out?

The price was about 1/2 per round of what a round of Critical Defense runs. I wanted to see how well my SR9C was going to cycle before paying $1.00 a round for Hornady CD.
The 2 points I emboldened tell me everything I need to know.

First, you were browsing a commercial reloader's website. That is not where I would expect to buy factory loaded ammo. I am expecting reloaded ammo.

Second, you should expect to get Critical Defense ammo if that is what's advertised, but per your quote, they advertised ammo loaded with 115 gr Hornady XTP bullets. While, again, based solely on your quote, it was awkwardly worded, I don't see any reason to be surprised, especially when you are searching a commercial reloader's site.

Unless you can show a screenshot showing a box of Hornady Critical Defense or similar ammo as the image for the ammo you purchased, I don't think they owe you anything.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old June 27, 2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

A simple search finds this ammo manufacturer and the ad in question: http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-...115n-b0050.htm

Elsewhere on the site, they state that all ammunition they sell is manufactured at their plant. The difference between "New" and "Remanufactured" is that new ammo uses unfired cases from various manufacturers, not necessarily Hornady. Remanufactured ammo uses fired brass bought from indoor ranges which is then cleaned and resized. Most of the cases I saw in their images were Federal cases.

Even if they had used new Hornady brass, the actual ammo would have been assembled on their presses, not Hornady's. Their 9mm selection page clearly states which selections are "New" (their definition of new), and which are "Reman", and it shows the box you would expect to receive it in.

I wouldn't pursue it any further.
Old June 27, 2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Doyle

There was nothing screwy about the deal. You bought from a RELOADING company. There was nothing in the description that would have even remotely made me thing I was going to get all Hornady brass in a Hornady box.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:16 AM   #14
Jimboh247

Ok, thanks for your input. I guess I better read for comprehension.

I just wanted everyone else's take on the deal.

That's the reason why I did not want to mention the company. I HAVE been wrong in the past........

Thanks,