The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 20, 2009, 01:43 PM   #26
sc928porsche

Double lung shot with 300WM with any wt bullet you want to use and within reasonable distance (400yds) and they drop in their tracks. Well, once I had one go about 10 yards.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:48 PM   #27
freakshow10mm

Heavy bullet at moderate velocity. Take a 220gr Hornady RN at 2400fps. Enough gun for several hundred yards, little meat damage.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Daryl

The one that does the least amount of meat damage is the one that misses.

For the one's that hit, I like 180 gr Speer Grand Slams for the .30 cal cartridges. Penetrates well, expands sufficiently for a quick kill, and doesn't destroy extra meat.

Daryl
Old May 21, 2009, 01:10 AM   #29
W. C. Quantrill

I believe in accuracy and shot placement. I get that with managed loads, meaning I do not go for maximum loads but for the most accurate loads. When we are talking 165+gr bullets at 2800+ FPS, ONLY a chrono is going to settle any arguments. I would say load your loads down, with a lower pressure powder such as some of the Hodgdons/ADI powders. Lower pressures give less recoil and more accuracy. I load Hornady 165 gr BTSP's at about 2850. I use H4350SC powder and it gives a very nice shooting load that is extremely accurate--the bullets expand as intended, and I dont get a handful of damaged meat. Depending on the shot--I go for either the neck just in front of the shoulder, or a low lung/heart shot just behind the elbow. Close behind the elbow, just miss the leg bone. Also, I pass on shots over 350 yards. Even tho I have the TRS-1 mildot scope, and I am confident in my rifle, loads and shooting abilities, I set that as my limit unless I am looking at something really huge that demands to be taken out of the herd. In that case, its one in the boiler room, a shoulder shot intended to break that front leg and destroy the lungs. I agree with 7mm about the 165 to 180 bullets, and would restate, dont push them to max. They do what they are supposed to do just fine at mid speeds. If you are going to be really reaching out on the distance such as 300 to 400 yards, then you need to take them out to max obviously, but know that if you shoot something in close, its gonna blow a hole. It is just simple math.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:50 AM   #30
jrothWA

So summing up, what I have read...

then in my following rifles;

M70, .308 using hand loaded 165 BTSP, @2500 fps (muzzle), I should have little problem with whitetail & elk here in the Cascades?

Will be reloading for a 7mmMag, using Hornady 162gr SST's, and reloader 19 powder, so I should consider max velicity around 2900fps???

This is a GREAT thread! Thanks for info.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:27 PM   #31
James R. Burke

Va Fisher is correct. Dont worry about it to much. If it is the only rifle you have, just use the bullet you feel will be the most accurate. Double lung not bad. Stay off the shoulders if you can.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:32 AM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

About all that neck meat is good for is chili, so I never worried about ruining meat with a neck shot. Didn't matter what bullet I used.