The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 14, 2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Zen Archery

Big Boar -vs- Cutting Edge Bullet

I like the idea of an all purpose bullet but I'm always weary of terminal performance.
First shot was in the neck.
Second shot was in the paunch (discount this shot).
Third was in the throat.
Fourth was in the... well just look below....

Fast forward video to 9:15 for the hunt. Click Here For Video.

Old December 15, 2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Keep up the good work!
Old December 15, 2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Old Stony

Sorta looked to me like that first shot should have done the job via hydrostatic shock. Which bullet were you using?
Old December 15, 2018, 09:28 PM   #4
reynolds357

4 shot kill and brag on the bullet? Nice boar, but I am definitely missing something????
Old December 16, 2018, 03:20 PM   #5
GeauxTide

He wasn't bragging about the bullet, at all.
Old December 16, 2018, 05:59 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
He wasn't bragging about the bullet, at all.
As I said, I am missing something.
Old December 17, 2018, 09:36 AM   #7
taylorce1

I've had some experience with Cutting Edge Bullets, and on game it has been pretty positive. However, it has only been with their Raptor line of bullets in .224 and .308 calibers. I can tell you the 55 grain Raptor is a faster killing bullet in .224 than a TSX/TTSX and in .308 150 grain out of a .300 Win Mag it's too much of a good thing. Since the petals are designed to shear off they create maximum damage on whitetail deer.

I think the CEB MTH suffers the same way the Barnes X and TSX bullets have in smaller diameter calibers. The hollow point is too small and the bullets don't open reliably, and often act like a solid by just penciling through. Barnes solution was to make larger hollow points in the TSX line and to add a polymer top and call it the TTSX. I do believe CEB is correcting this issue with their Maximus line with a larger hollow point for more reliable expansion. I'd love to see CEB add polymer tips to their MTH or Maximus line of bullets.

I think it simply boils down to the wrong bullet for the job. CEB makes better bullets for hunting than the MTH IMO that work as intended all the time. However, I'm grateful that there are guys like Zen testing stuff all the time and not afraid to post the results good or bad. It definitely helps people looking for that bullet for a once in a lifetime hunt.
Old December 18, 2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Saltydog235

First shot killed it, just going through the death throws. 2-4 were a waste of ammo but it’s a hog so who cares how many you put in it. Good killing
Old December 20, 2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Zen Archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
First shot killed it, just going through the death throws. 2-4 were a waste of ammo but it’s a hog so who cares how many you put in it. Good killing
Disagree. Time lapse was 4 minutes and he got up and started flopping around. I’ve run 24 other .264 bullets out of my 6.5CM with similar shot placement. This is the 3rd bullet that has had this similar performance. The other 21 bullets I’ve shot at a hog drop and do a death kick with 1 shot. Not get up and flop around like this Boar.