The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 16, 2014, 11:05 PM   #1
TacticalJackal

Just another .223 hog hunting post. Oh btw I'm Jackal and I'm new

Hey all! After scouring the interwebs for data regarding hunting hogs here in North Florida with .223, I have learned that apparently, it's either like hitting a hog with a hand grenade OR it's like shooting them with a rubber band gun

How useful.

I'm going on a hog hunt this weekend and I'll I've got laying around are .223s. I have my AR (M&P 15 Sport, Bushnell TRS 25 Red Dot, 1:9) for shots out to 75 yards and my Remington 700 (Redfield Revenge 3-9x42, 1:12) in case I need a little magnification.

I'm thinking my best bet for nailing a nice, fat, stinky hog is going to be popping one in the ear, preferably with a round that can handle both twist rates.

Cue the American Eagle .223 Tipper Varmint! Basically a 50 grain v max for about half the price. Anyone have any luck with these lighter grain rounds on hogs?

And please don't let this devolve into a ".223 ain't enough gun for pork" conversation. I can't handle another one today.
Old March 17, 2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Scorch

I wouldn't use varmint bullets, use a heavier soft tip bullet to get good penetration. Other than that, the 223 is entirely capable of killing pigs, has been for decades.
Old March 17, 2014, 12:14 AM   #3
TacticalJackal

Do you think the Tipped Varmint rounds would do the trick? I hear shot placement is key and I generally don't have any issues keeping tight groups. They're what is available that will work in both barrels.

The name of the game is efficiency in cost. I close on my 1st house this week and I have my wedding coming up in 6 weeks, so I'm really trying to eek out those pennies and make them count. I have no doubt that soft points like Federal Fusion or Power Points would work, but I'm trying to make due with what's available.

This is my last chance to go hunting before we get back from the honeymoon and after having 8 trips cancelled this past whitetail season (YUP you read it right, 8 cancelled trips in one season), I'm dying to get out in the woods. So I hope it doesn't seem like I'm ignoring your knowledge and experience, it's just a matter of making something work with poor timing and low funds.
Old March 17, 2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Tipsy Mcstagger

I've shot many hogs with 223 fmj 55gr broadside and it has always done the trick. The one that actually ran a good distance (50-60 yards into cover and died) was with a 55 varmint bullet broadside, and that was my mistake and I was much younger. It was the wrong bullet and the wrong shot, even though it killed it. So 223 is fine, I'd just recommend a non varmint bullet but I'm sure even if you do, you'll have success, especially on a head shot. Good luck!
Old March 17, 2014, 04:03 AM   #5
Old Stony

I use .223 in an AR for shooting after dark with my night vision. I only use fmj 55 gr. and have no problem shooting dropping them with one shot in the boiler room. If you can shoot them in the head, fine and dandy, but they die just fine with one in the vitals too. Penetration is much better than trying to get lighter bullets to open up and do more damage.
Old March 17, 2014, 08:22 AM   #6
TacticalJackal

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I'll try to get my hands on something else that'll work in both guns. It just seems that no one is really making soft points from 50-55 grain. Everything I'm finding is 62 grain and up.
Old March 17, 2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Where in north Florida? Kevin's in Tallahassee should have a good selection of .223 ammo. They're on the Web; try phoning.
Old March 17, 2014, 01:09 PM   #8
TacticalJackal

I'm in Gainesville, going hunting in Perry.
Old March 17, 2014, 11:23 PM   #9
alex0535

The thing about the varmint bullets is that they tend to expand, often explosively and dump all their energy over the course of a few inches. This might kill it if shot just right, but it's likely to just seriously wound it and it's going to run farther than you are going to want to track it.

A slower expanding bullet will keep on going through whatever it runs into, reaching vital organs in the process.

I would go for a .223 fmj if it's legal to hunt with it in Florida. You will get exceptional penetration. Wouldn't be against using a hollow point, either will work more effectively than the varmint round. Save those rounds for killing softer animals.
Old March 18, 2014, 12:33 AM   #10
TacticalJackal

I can honestly say I hadn't considered hollow points for game. I figured varmint rounds would work best since the heart, lungs and brain don't sit deeper than 3 inches in the thoracic/cranial cavity. Provided shot placement is where it should, I just figured the rest would take care of itself.
Old March 18, 2014, 06:31 AM   #11
jmr40

I'd prefer something in the 60+ gr range with conventional bullets. In your case I'd look at some of the Barnes copper bullets. Even in the 50 gr range I doubt if you'll ever find a bullet in a hog. Most likely complete pass throughs with excellent expansion.
Old March 18, 2014, 07:52 AM   #12
603Country

I hear good things about the Winchester 64 grain PSP load. I'd try that one on pigs.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:33 PM   #13
thallub

Quote:
Cue the American Eagle .223 Tipper Varmint! Basically a 50 grain v max for about half the price.
Do not use a varmint bullet on hogs. Use a 55 grain or heavier bullet like a Sierra Game King, Barnes Triple Shock, Partition, or M193 FMJ round. i've killed many wild hogs with the M193 round: Hit in the heart-lung area the animal dies quickly.

Good luck on your hog hunt.
Old March 20, 2014, 09:33 PM   #14
NCummins

I like 62 and 55 grain soft points, FMJ works fine as well. With varmint rounds I seriously doubt you'll get enough penetration to kill quickly. They are made for soft bodied small critters.
Old March 25, 2014, 07:06 AM   #15
Ibmikey

55 grain FMC knocks them butt over tea kettle at 100 yds or less. This year I built a 300 blackout for the job and am anxious to see how 125 grain supersonic will work.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

The base of the ear or a bit further back on the middle of the neck is a good shot, but you still want to err on the safe side, which means a soft point bullet 55 grains or up, or an FMJ 55 and up, or a 75/77 of any style, even HP/OTM. Varmint bullets aren't a good choice ever, for any shot, on any large game. I'd rather have a .22 magnum with a 50 gr soft point for a brain shot, than a .223 rem than a light & lightly-constructed constructed varmint bullet - by far.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:41 AM   #17
TacticalJackal

Thanks for all the replies and help. Unfortunately, the hunt went poorly. A dam broke the night before we went out so the river on the property flooded about 80% of the camp
Old March 25, 2014, 09:34 PM   #18
alex0535

Sounds like a place that would bring the pigs from miles around. They like swampy flooded areas. Go back in a week or two and try again. Will be miserable for you, but the pigs will love it.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:16 PM   #19
TacticalJackal

Oh I know they do, but when I say flooded, I truly mean flooded. No access to most of the stands or feeders.

Would love to go back, but I just bought my first house which needs some TLC weekends and then I'm getting married in a month. So, sadly, hunting takes the back burner until June

Tags
armedtotheteeth