The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
KyleH

How thick of steel to stop 1oz slug?

I wanted to build a steel box to shoot at. I would line it with particle board to absorb most of the bullets. I will be shooting 12ga rifled slugs and buckshot, .45, 9mm, and 22s. Mostly 12ga and .22. I was planning on building a scatter shield around it as well for a just in case I miss and then making the box 15 x 15 x 15 covered by a piece of ~.125" aluminum backed plywood.

I was wondering what metal thickness I should use to ensure that when shooting 1oz lead slugs into it, they don't penetrate it. I would most likely be bolting two 1/2" mild steel plates together onto the back. Either that or put some solid 2.5" OD round steel stock into the box I have access to for free and using one 1/2" backing plate.
Old November 26, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2
EHCRain10

i have no clue but id really like to know how this turns out, update to let us know the results
Old November 28, 2007, 10:07 PM   #3
KyleH

Whats the thickest thing that a shotgun shell has ever penetrated for you guys? What have you shot at that the shell lodged itself in an didn't penetrate or broke/bounced off?
Old November 28, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Gbro

I would go 3/8 inch steel at the minimum. (50 Y).
The 1-Oz slug is awesome.
If you use the 3" or 3-1/2 use of 1/2 " steel may be necessary.
Old November 28, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Slugs will beat a box like that to death.
Old November 29, 2007, 12:39 AM   #6
BillCA

Kyle,

I think you'd be better off building a "sand trap" box.

You can build your box to hold a bunch o' sand shoveled in from the top or build it to hold sandbags stacked at least 3-deep and maybe 3-4 high. The bags can be filled with washed sand or simply low-rock dirt. Personally, I'd set it up for sandbags to make portability a bit easier.

Most handgun rounds, even from under 25 yards, won't penetrate through the width of a filled sandbag. Once you get into the momentum of a 1oz 12-gauge slug though, I suspect you'll need 3 sandbags.

Sandbags can be had cheap, as can bags of clean sand at your hardware store. Just remember to bring extras of both along when using the 12-bore.

Check out The Box o' Truth to see their setup that uses water bottles. A similar rig that allows sandbags laid down 3-wide and 6 deep up to 4 bags tall would weigh a lot, but probably stop anything except a .50BMG. Then your 1/2" steel backing plate wouldn't get beaten into submission.
Old November 30, 2007, 05:58 AM   #7
Hawg

A shotgun slug fired at a steel plate isn't going to leave much more than a thin circle of lead and a bunch of small fragments and your particle board will be destroyed pretty quick.