The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 12, 2008, 04:41 PM   #1
NineInchNails

Help With Swivel Stud

I am trying to install a swivel stud on the side of my Bushmaster Varminter. There is already one on the bottom of the hand guard, but My Harris Bipod uses that one.

Here’s my Bushmaster:

Here’s where I’d like to install another swivel stud:

This is basically what I’m looking for:

Anyone know where I can purchase a swivel stud to do this? I have no problem drilling a hole, threading if necessary, but I’ve been Googling for quite a while and have come up with nothing.
Old July 12, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
AK103K

Try Uncle Mikes or Brownell's
Old July 12, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Pahoo

Okay, let's try this one!!!

Look at the bottom of your Harris and you will see two fingers that are used to clamp the Bi-pod to the existing stud on the stock. On the lower end, you will notice that these clamping fingers, have a hole through them. Put you swivel stud through these two hole. You then can string you sling through the swivel loop. Unkle Mikes also make a set for this application. Take a look and see how this works for you. Sure hope I described this correctly...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 12, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
NineInchNails

Pahoo,

I see exactly what you are talking about (under the bipod). That would work, but I forgot to mention that I have been using a 2 point sling. When mounting the 2 point sling to the underside of the front of a rifle, the rifle always wants to roll outward on ya. It's annoying and I think it would worsen the situation to mount it there. Good idea though.

I rigged it like shown below until I can figure out how to install a stud on the side:

I don't think the nylon webbing will last rubbing on the steel.
Old July 13, 2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Pahoo

Sorry bout that !!!

Looks like you have to come up with a bought or homemade barel band, mounted either on the barrel or guard. I would think that the rifle manufacturer would have some kind of an after market mount. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Be Safe !!!