One hand under the mag?
One hand in front of the grip?
LEO's/military welcome to answer.
+++not the stance, but how do YOU hold it?+++
just wondering
Old March 23, 2006, 01:12 AM   #2
HuntAndFish

If you're not sure...

take an NRA basic pistol course and they will teach you.

There are various disciplines that require different holds. One handed and two.

When at the range just shooting, I use both hands, thumbs forward, weak hand supports 40%, strong hand supports about 60%.
Old March 23, 2006, 01:31 AM   #3
#18indycolts

I wasn't asking how I should hold it. I'm right handed and hold it with my left hand in front of the mag behind the trigger guard. Just curious how other's hold it.
Old March 23, 2006, 01:44 AM   #4
westphoenix

Old March 23, 2006, 04:14 AM   #5
DunedinDragon

Support hand over strong hand under trigger guard with both thumbs forward along the frame of the gun. I suspect that's going the be the case for about 90% of the people here...
Old March 23, 2006, 08:02 AM   #6
HangFire83

I have started reaching my left (support) hand's index finger and putting in front of the trigger guard. I saw that in a shooting demo. and found it to be very comfortable. I have met a few other guys at the range that do this as well.

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:08 AM   #7
threegun

DoubleD, Is this a picture of what you are describing?

Rob Leatham pictured. This is my grip also.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:34 AM   #8
gunmoney

I hold my glock fo-ty sideways with my right hand while making a 'west side' gang sign with my left. Sometimes my medalion gets in the way so I have to switch gun hands and change to the ghost face killa gang sign with my right hand. It take years of practice and technique to get to the level I am at now.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:41 AM   #9
9mm1033

threegun,

I'm curious. Do you know why the guy in the dark shirt, behind the shooter is holding a gun in his hand? It looks like it may be cocked.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:56 AM   #10
HangFire83

That's a good question. I think that is a gal behind the shooter.

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 23, 2006, 02:24 PM   #11
threegun

Yeah it is a gal. Her hand is resting on a holstered gun. Its a speed holster used in cometition. Skeletonized holster. Good eyes it is cocked but probably on an empty chamber and no mag.
Old March 23, 2006, 02:42 PM   #12
Big Calhoun

Two hands, strong hand first, index finger on trigger guard and thumb on opposite side facing target. Weak hand over strong hand, thumb parrallel to thumb on strong hand.
Old March 23, 2006, 03:00 PM   #13
spacemanspiff

righty here. the fingers of my left hand don't quite make it to the last knuckles of my right hand. i try to give a firmer grip with my left than with my right, as if envisioning left/right = 60/40.

this is just one part of a technique that aids me in handling recoil. the rest of it involves having feet inside shoulder width, slightly bent forward at hips, leaning just forward, and shoulders rolled forward.

muzzle flip is quite reduced, and follow up shots are faster.
Old March 23, 2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Phxdog

I hold mine just like Rob Leatham, only I take up more space in the shooting square and don't hit the target as often.
Old March 23, 2006, 03:45 PM   #15
j1132s

I switch between the pictured Rob Leatham's grip and support hand index finger on the trigger guard. Haven't settled on the one I want to use yet.

If there's accessory on the rail, then I'm forced to put allmy support hand's fingers on the grip. Having my index finger on the trigger guard seems to be a more stable grip, but takes more concentration to shoot accurately.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:13 PM   #16
threegun

Phxdog,

Quote:
I hold mine just like Rob Leatham, only I take up more space in the shooting square and don't hit the target as often.
I take up less space and don't hit the target as fast or as often lol. Rob is an incredible pistolero. When I changed to his style of hold on the gun my scores increased tremendously, from the fewer pulled shots, to the tighter groups.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:15 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

Typically I do the old school one the hand duel stance or crouch draw with my non gun hand over my heart.

Every now and then I will do the two handed Weaver stance when I am trying to be a marksman.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:18 PM   #18
stephen426

Since almost everyone here uses the grip that Rob Leatham uses (Why not? He is a pro.), I will throw a monkey wrench into the works. When I am shooting my Glock 26, I sometimes hold the grip with my 4th and 5th fingers while pulling the trigger with my middle finger. My index finger is on the side of the gun more or less in line with the barrel. I came up with this method of shooting after reading about point shooting. Most people can easily point their index finger at an object and be very close to pointing directly at it. You can test this by identifying an object in the room. Close your eyes and point your finger to where you feel that object is. Most people will be fairly close to dead on target. Since combat distances are usually very short, this style of pointing makes for very rapid target acquisition while providing sufficient accuracy. The recoil on the 9mm Glock 26 is very easy to control and there is only room for a 2 fingered grip anyways.

For most of my target shooting, I use the grip that Rob Leatham uses. One thing most people here failed to mentioned is that the hand holding the gun is pushing forward while the supporting hand pulls back. This increases stability by keeping the gun under tension. One other thing is don't grip the gun to death unless you are really shooting a hand cannon. Gripping the gun too tight will affect accuracy and may cause your hand to tremble or fatigue more quickly.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:31 PM   #19
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
I sometimes hold the grip with my 4th and 5th fingers while pulling the trigger with my middle finger. My index finger is on the side of the gun more or less in line with the barrel. I came up with this method of shooting after reading about point shooting. Most people can easily point their index finger at an object and be very close to pointing directly at it. You can test this by identifying an object in the room. Close your eyes and point your finger to where you feel that object is. Most people will be fairly close to dead on target.
If you get familiar enough with your pistol, pointing it at objects is like using your finger.
The pistol becomes an extension of your hand.

But whatever works best for you is what you should use as long as it is safe.
Your not the first I have heard shooting like that.
Do you ever have finger and slide contact?
Old March 23, 2006, 04:31 PM   #20
SW_fan

I use an iscosoles stance which means, feet square both arms straight and locked. Strong hand first with firm grip, then I place the base of my weak thumb on the other side of the handle where the grip is still exposed,point both thumbs forward and wrap my left fingers around my strong hand.

This gives you a good firm grip, and the iscosoles stance will make you absorb the recoil between your shoulder blades, instead of in your wrists. I have noticed a HUGE difference in accuracy with this method.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:54 PM   #21
rellascout

Check out this link

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1363&q=handgun

Videos are worth 1000 pictures
Old March 23, 2006, 05:06 PM   #22
Talon66

I hold mine like Leatham's pic. I recently switched to that grip after watching one of Kelly McCaan's "Inside The Crucible" DVD's. It's been about a month now and my shooting has improved significantly. My follow up shots are tighter as a group and the recoil has been reduced somewhat. I'm also acquiring the target faster from the draw but I'll attribute this to a slight change in my drawstroke in conjuction with the "new" grip. How do I know this? My times are quicker and I'm hitting better scores during our defensive pistol league.
Old March 23, 2006, 05:07 PM   #23
stephen426

westphoenix,

I have used that grip on my Glock 26 and my Sig P228 (while I had it). There is some slide contact on the Glock when I grab the gun quickly but the slide is smoothe and does not cause any injuries. The same is true of the Sig P228. I guess if my guns had serrations on the front (such as my Baer TR Special), it would hurt. Most of the time, my finger rests along the frame, under the slide.

I know with enough practice, the gun should become an extension of my hand. I wish I had more time to practice. Even with my limited practice, I am a decent shot. I just feel that point shooting using the method I described allows for faster target acquisition time compared to the traditional grip since I don't get to practice as often as I want.

It seems to work for me. Thanks for not being non-judgemental.
Old March 23, 2006, 05:46 PM   #24
Hook686

Thumb & two fingers (index and middle).

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:27 PM   #25
threegun

Who needs point shooting if you can shoot like jarrett wow.