The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 23, 2017, 06:55 PM   #1
sixgunnin

Vaquero grip interchangeability?

Do New Vaquero grips usually need fitting? I have read stories of factory grips that were not even close to fitting, is this something that people see with Ruger revolvers?

I am a bit scared of buying Ruger grips for that reason. Is it a concern?

I once handled a nib Blackhawk that had about a 1/16'' gap between the grip and the frame

I am looking for a set of factory checkered polymer grips to replace the Dooley Gang star grips.
Old April 24, 2017, 08:40 AM   #2
CowTowner

While I don't have an answer to your question, I do think this thread would do better in the Smithy section.
Mods, perhaps you could move this?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 24, 2017, 12:03 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Never had to 'fit' aftermarket grips for anything.
Ruger factory grips are made for Ruger by Altamont. According to their site. Slightly less expensive direct from Altamont too.
Old April 24, 2017, 06:51 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

This probably should be moved to the Smithy section, but it seems to have little interest, so let's leave it and see what happens.

Jim
Old April 24, 2017, 11:05 PM   #5
Tinbucket

vaquero grip interchangability

Interested my self on this one. I want to put modern mother of pearl on my stainless Vaquero.
I put ivory on my Super Blackhawk and they fit perfectly.
I took them off as the Pachymers are called for with heavy loads. If you are talking another pair from Ruger they should fit perfectly, as they are all ade on the same machinery.
I don't have Ruger's number handy but give them a call. I don't believe they are hand fitted except for perhaps a little burr or something.
Don't buy a pair that may be lemons someone is trying to get rid of.
Old April 25, 2017, 12:44 AM   #6
shootniron

Grips for Ruger guns interchange very well as long as you make sure that you have matched the grips to the grip frame. Different models of Ruger revolvers can have different grip frames. If the grips match the grip frame...there is normally no fitting required...however, some grips will matchup better than others...but, they will fit and be functional with no problem.

There is one caveat to this...if you happen to have a gun with the lock...it requires grips with a relief cut in the grips.

This is a pretty thorough explanation of all of the Ruger grip frames...will give you an idea of what you will need to fit your gun.

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Last edited by shootniron; April 25, 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old April 27, 2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Never had to 'fit' aftermarket grips for anything.
You never tried to put grips on an Italian black powder revolver then. They finish the grips and grip frame together so no two sets of grips will swap. As for the New Vaquero any grips made for the New Vaq will fit but other Ruger models will not. On the other hand grips for the old Vaquero fit everything except the Super Blackhawk and New Vaq. Check out these grips. You may find something you like. https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...er/newvaquero/
Old April 27, 2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Tinbucket

How can I tell if this is the new or old Vaquero.
I bought it circa 1996. It has the horrible stamping on the barrel and frame but does not say new anywhere.
Old April 27, 2017, 03:15 PM   #9
sixgunnin

It is an old Vaquero