The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 16, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Deja vu

Hypothetical SBR question

I have an antique 22long/22xlong rifle. If I was going to cut the barrel to less than 16 inches I would have to fill out all the paper work.

Now for the question Because of the age of the gun there is no serial number. What would I put in the area where it requires a serial number on the paper work?

p.s.this is purely hypothetical, there is no way I would cut down this rifle, While it is not worth a great deal it is a great shooter has has a lot of sentimental value to me.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 16, 2012, 03:21 PM   #2
mingheemouse

According to the BATFE NFA Handbook
ATF E-Publication 5320.8
Revised: April 2009

in section 6.2.1 Description of firearm.
"...All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and entered in Block 4(g)."

"...The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements."

7.4.1 Serial numbers.
"Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm’s frame or receiver an individual serial number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm."
Old May 16, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Deja vu

So what do I do if the gun is an antique and predates Serial numbers? It was built in 1896.

Sorry but for some reason I find it confusing.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 16, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
RJay

If I understand the law correctly, you give it a serial number, the serial number can be as simple as " Deja-Vu 1 ".
Old May 16, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Deja vu

ah ok thank you.