The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 19, 2012, 01:14 AM   #26
egor20

Had a few M14 (E2)s on board ship for shark watch and SSDF. Totally turned me off on FA guns.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 19, 2012, 02:03 AM   #27
phagar

What did you find wrong with them ?
Old March 3, 2012, 02:54 PM   #28
abkennard

M14SA Info

I am new to the firing line so please be patient with me lol, I am looking for information on an M14 I recently acquired...just don't know enough about them to know what I have, it is a Federal Ordnance M14SA. The stock looks like it has been filled in from where the select fire switch used to be. Anyone know much about these?
Old March 3, 2012, 03:22 PM   #29
Jason_G

Quote:
Anyone know much about these?
To my knowledge, they were not an NFA item. They were semi auto M14 type rifles. Seems like they had some QC issues with some receivers, too, IIRC. I can't remember now if it was a bad heat treat or what, but I seem to remember some cracked receivers. I may be wrong and thinking about something else though, it's been a while.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old March 3, 2012, 03:32 PM   #30
David Hineline

Do a google search on your M14 Federal Ordnance they do not get much respect.

It is a semi auto gun, and you are posting in the section discussing full auto guns.

Anyway it's like any other crap shoot where some company makes receivers and tears apart old machineguns for spare parts, if the machinegun your parts came from was new, then your gun is like new, if it saw 20yrs of hard jungle fighting then got a new paint job, it is a worn out gun with a new paint job.

I had a Chinese Polytech M14 with the same reputation it functioned fine but any round fired in that gun, the brass even when loaded on a small based sizing die would never chamber in any other gun.

Hopefully your gun has seen enough use that it is past the stage that a problem part is going to cause it to blow up.

I saw one new that one the third round fired the case was blown out to a straight wall as the barrel separated from the receiver. Federal Ord exchanged the gun of course and no one lost an eye.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:14 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many M14 stocks were put on semi-auto "clones" and the hole for the selector tang filled in with plastic wood or some similar material, sometimes with an actual wood insert, for appearances. BATFE "discouraged" making semi-auto receivers with the tang and with the configuration of the M14 right receiver rail, saying they would be too easy to convert to full auto. That is why rifles like the M1A take down like the M1, not like the M14.

Jim
Old March 6, 2012, 03:36 PM   #32
SR420

Quote:
James K

Many M14 stocks were put on semi-auto "clones" and the hole for the selector tang filled in with
plastic wood or some similar material, sometimes with an actual wood insert, for appearances.
SAGE now offers Full Auto Cut-out Cover for the EBR chassis (M14FACC) - this one is grey, black is also available.