The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2002, 06:13 PM   #1
Blarneystone

Dumb..dumb mistake..

Hi,

I was just cleaning up my garage and happened to uncover my reloader and find that my powder dispenser on my Lee Loader is full of powder and has been since the fall of last year! I just haven't had any money to go shoot at the range so I haven't even though about reloading.

What should I do with this powder? Is it bad? It's still covered and dry, but I dunno...seems like it may have gone stale or something.

Seriously, should I put it back in the container? I only have one brand of powder so I know where it came from...or is there some secret way of disposing of it without burning down the house?

thanks!
Old July 14, 2002, 07:29 PM   #2
at2000

I don't have any experience determining if powder has gone bad. However, I once had to dispose of some powder in preparation for moving. I disposed of it by scattering it on the lawn. I believe this was one disposal method recommended by one or more of my reloading manuals. You should check a good reloading manual.
Old July 14, 2002, 07:35 PM   #3
mec

It is a recommended expensive fertilizer. If the powder looks good and doesn't present a sharp odor, it is probably still good.
Old July 14, 2002, 08:55 PM   #4
jjmorgan64

I agree, the powder is probrably still fine. What is the main difference if the powder is stored in the plastic hopper, or the plastic jar?

The funnest way to dispose of it, however is to simply dump it into a pile and light it,(from a distance) you can get some pretty impressive flames. I don't recommend this with black powder, however, doesn't give you much time to get out of the way.

JM
Old July 14, 2002, 09:21 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hell, I've had the hopper of my Lee loader full for well over a year before.

I just verified my powder settings, and started loading.

No problems at all.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 14, 2002, 09:56 PM   #6
Chuck Dye

If there is ABSOLUTELY no question of what powder it is and no obvious changes such as a new odor, clumping, breakdown (fines-dust) I think I might load a few starting loads and try them. ANY questionable qualities and I would feed the lawn or torch it.

An e-mail or phone call to the manufacturer is a good move, also.
Old July 15, 2002, 05:01 AM   #7
LAH

I'll go with HucK on this one.
Old July 15, 2002, 05:50 PM   #8
Larry Ashcraft

We moved about 8 years ago and I stored my powder in a damp basement. When I started reloading again 2 years ago I worried about my old kegs of powder but I had too much to throw away. Talked to a local gunsmith who said that as long as the powder is not clumped and has a "good strong chemical smell" it should be good. So far he has been right.

One keg of 4227 was in a steel gallon can. When pouring or metering it gives off a puff of rust in the air. Naturally I was worried about that but I had 8 lbs. of it so I loaded up some starting loads and they work fine.
Old July 15, 2002, 06:09 PM   #9
saands

Dumb, Dumb Mistake????? That was just an oversight "Dumb Mistake" would be charging a case with 40 grams of powder when the recipe called for 40 grains
Old July 15, 2002, 08:55 PM   #10
blades67

If you decide to get rid of it you can pour it down a sink drain with running water if you don't want to throw it on the lawn.

I'd try loading it.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 15, 2002, 09:30 PM   #11
CheapSeats

Try loading a few rounds and see how they shoot. Powder doesn't go bad real easily. As long as it was in a closed container and didn't get polluted with something it is probably fine.

Of course if it smells significantly different than it should then you might want to just use it for fertilizer. Spread it over your lawn and water it.

I may not agree with this person in entirety, particularly in the political party realm. But I have seen a lot of truth on these pages regarding the 2nd Ammendment:

http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/

The 2nd Ammendment of the U.S. Constitution is to keep the government in line...not the citizenry.

Who ever came to the dangerous conclusion that the government(s) had the right to interpret it FOR us?

Ever heard of the wolf guarding the henhouse? I know what! (ludicrous thought) Let's allow the wolf to determine for us how many chickens is normal to "lose" each night.

I am sure that the wolf will help us to save our chickens.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:22 AM   #12
ZeusOne

As a rule, we reloaders don't like waste, but there's not that much powder in a Lee hopper. So given all the variables, feed the lawn and walk away to load another day.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:22 PM   #13
Blarneystone

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll give it a try. I'm pretty nervous about getting my stuff right.