The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 27, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Marineleo

Suppressor help

First a little about myself I am a Leo in south Florida I work Marine Interdiction. Mainly I stop drug runners and other smugglers and Cuban nationals VBSS (Vist Board Search Sieze) For those that don't know lol. So I don't deal with the ticket writing or fish limits. My rifle is an LMT upper and lower I built with YHM lightweight free float rails, SOPMOD stock, aimpoint and 10.5" barrel. Now the question what is a good suppressor to look at I want good sound reduction accuracy and reliability. Once I get it, it will be on from now on I won't run it with out it on. It also needs to be able to handle being around salt water. Some guys on my team go out and spend money on crap or something way to expensive because it's tacticool. Unfourtunatly there aren't to many guys I work with that are well gun guys like me. Although I know little about suppressors for now I'm reading and learning more but would like some first hand honest assessment of various kinds. This way I can look at various kinds from users and not what the company says because according to company a,b,c they each are the best since sliced bread. So if you could give me three options would be great like a low end, middle of the road and then "the best". Sorry for the long write up thank you in advance .
Old June 28, 2011, 10:11 AM   #2
pvt.Long

redjacket.com can provide what you need
Old June 28, 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

10.5" barrels are known to eat up the blast baffle.

What is your price range?
Old June 29, 2011, 12:40 AM   #4
MrM4

Alot of my stuff came from these guys.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/5-56-MM-c9.htm
Old June 29, 2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Wildalaska

Somehow I have never seen a Law Enforcement Officer write like the OP.

WildowellcarryonguysanswerhisquestionsAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 1, 2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Marineleo

Money is no option as long as its not way out there. Could you elaborate more on the 10.5 eating up the blast baffle? I've not heard this before and would like to know more.
Sorry I don't write per your specs just wanted a clear and concise question.
Old July 1, 2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

From a 10.5" barrel there are quite a lot of very hot particles under quite a lot of pressure. They exit the barrel and hit the first baffle in the can, the blast baffle. These particles damage the baffle. Over time the baffle gets eroded by these particles giving it an appearance that Phil Dater likened to the surface of the moon. In longer barrels (14" 16" etc.) there is a little more room for the pressure to drop and less damage is done to the baffle.

Many industry professionals say 10.5 is the shortest you should try to run with a can.

Perhaps you should read on some of the real suppressor boards.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:08 PM   #8
oldcspsarge

Look at the 223 can from Yankee Hill Machine w/ QD mount.

Well built with excellent warranty.

http://www.yhm.net/store/SSphantom556.html
Old July 1, 2011, 11:04 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

sworn LE officer; Silencertalk.com ....

If you are a sworn, active LE officer, I'd check a few of the forums or message boards like www.Silencertalk.com for details about cans/sound reduction add-ons.

If you are in south Florida, you may want to contact Knight's Armament company in Vero Beach FL. They do a lot of DoD/spec ops work.
Other big names include Surefire, Gem-Tech & AWC.

I'm not a sworn LE agent or officer, but I'm curious to know if your LE agency or supervisor allows you to buy/use surpressed weapons on duty.
Is the agency not buying or obtaining any weapon contracts or do they allow PODA(private owned, dept approved) weapons/gear/ammunition?

Stay safe & catch lots of bad guys!

CF
Old July 1, 2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Marineleo

I've heard good things about Knights Armament and Yankee Hill suppressors. Which do you think is the "best"? Also which would be better one that goes over a flash suppressor or one that screws on? Yes we are allowed suppressors which is a good thing when we search container ships so far never have fired a shot minus training drills on an old tanker that is used by many departments for training ops. We do have MP5sd's that we can use but if we want a rifle we must purchase our own. Our policy is actually pretty liberal in the rifle category has to be 5.56/223 can't be a "custom" rifle ie an upper that is a different company than lower no two stage trigger, and a few other specs. Sidearms on the other hand aren't as liberal but I don't mind as much because mine is on the list. You have to get qualified with all firearms even if you don't use them and there's ALOT of various sub guns we have UMP's, and MP5's plus our approved rifles and our sidearms. Hope that answers your question.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Marineleo

As far as gear that's up to us to set up any way we want there are certain things we must have but that's about it. Ammo is provided we can't use anything else except department issue.
Old July 2, 2011, 01:03 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

5.56mm sub-sonic or FMJ/milspec, Surefire...

I'm not a well-versed expert on military weapons or sound reduction equipment but I think Surefire; www.surefire.com markets cans or AR units that can safely fire all types of 5.56x45mm(5.56NATO) rifle ammunition.

If your LE agency or PD uses sub-sonic 5.56mm loads that might work better.
I'd add that some cans are "self-cleaning" but with the salt water/marine/humid conditions may increase or speed up wear.

A good coating/treatment of Black-T or Green-T, NIC/Cerakote, NP3+, or Bearcoat may help protect the patrol rifle/long-gun.

CF
www.RobarGuns.com www.Black-T.com www.Bearcoat.com
Old July 2, 2011, 06:26 AM   #13
David Hineline

Subsonic .223 rounds are called 22lr.
Old July 2, 2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Geezerbiker

It's too bad you're stuck with .223 rem. The .300 Whisper (.223 rem necked up to .308) is subsonic round designed to be fired from an AR15... This would solve the problem of burning up the silencer.

Tony
Old July 3, 2011, 01:55 PM   #15
oldkim

On the same note...

The 300 AAC BLK (Blackout) is also something to look at...

Simple AR upper chambered for the 300 BLK, takes the same AR magazines. Shoots a 30 caliber bullet from a necked up .223 case

http://300aacblackout.com/

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old July 4, 2011, 07:35 PM   #16
RAnb

Actually the 300 whisper and 300 BLK both use a 221 fireball necked up to 30 cailber or a 223 remington cut of at the shoulder and sized in the whisper or blk die to form the cartridge. Uncut 223 brass necked up to 30 calaiber would be more like the TCU wildcats used in the TC contender pistols.

Notice that the 300 whisper is loaded to nearly the same length as the 223 remington. When a 240 gain bullet is used, this leads to binding in unmodified ar-15 magazines when trying to load more than 5 rounds in a 20 or 30 round magazine. I milled a slot in the rib to eliminate this problem.

The 300 BLK deals with this problem by loading to a shorter overall length so unmodified magazines can be used can be used. As far as I know, the same dies can be used to load either cartridge and the 300 BLK will chamber just fine in the 300 whisper chamber. But a 300 whisper carridge loaded to 2.25" will probably not chamber in the 300 BLK.

Ranb

Last edited by RAnb; July 4, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old July 4, 2011, 07:43 PM   #17
RAnb

Quote:
Subsonic .223 rounds are called 22lr.
Not in my book. A 1050 fps 40 grain 22lr bullet gives me 98 ft-lbs. The Aguilla SSS 60 grain at 770 fps (best velocity in my guns) is merely 79 ft-lbs and needs a faster twist then the typical 1-16 for good accuracy.

I loaded 70 grain speer bullets in my 1-9 twist suppressed ar-15 and got decent accuracy with a bit more noise than the suppressed subsonic 22lr. At 171 ft-lbs, it is far superior to the subsonic 22lr in any form as far as power is concerned.

If you need less noise, go with the suppressed subsonic 22lr, but never confuse it with the power that can be had with a heavier bullet.

Ranb
Old July 4, 2011, 07:54 PM   #18
SurplusShooter

Gem tech would be a good place they really know what they are doing there.
Old July 4, 2011, 10:36 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

5.56x45mm/.223Remington LE agency issue...

The different surpressed rifle calibers like .22LR or .300Whisper are moot because MarineLEO stated the duty rifle must use 5.56/.223 ammunition.

Clyde
Old July 5, 2011, 02:35 AM   #20
Geezerbiker

If they're never brought up, then the rules will never change. Sometimes all you have to do is present a good case for change to get the ball rolling. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to try...

Tony
Old July 5, 2011, 10:57 PM   #21
rsilvers

The 300 AAC BLACKOUT throat is such that a 220 Sierra MK loaded to 2.26 OAL will have a 0.010 jump to the lands.

Here is an FAQ:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...it=faq#p699521
Old July 6, 2011, 10:28 AM   #22
Marineleo

We have tried to have more calibers added to our list. So far were not looking so good in that department. I reload ALOT for hunting, target practice or whatever and have been working on a whisper round to tryout. I believe I may go with YHM phantom I like Mark White and I belive that's one of his designs.
Old July 7, 2011, 10:58 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

POF-USA: Military/LE sales Robar NP3 treated M4s, uppers, rifles..

If you are in hot/humid south Florida, you may want to check into www.POF-USA.com .

They sell a few rifles, uppers/lowers, parts, merch, etc.
Some M4 & AR products are for sworn LE or active duty military ONLY.
The firm also uses a few M4s with Robar's great NP3.

If you are a sworn LEO and have the $$$, this company may have a great patrol or spec ops platform for you.

ClydeFrog

Tags
leo rifle , suppressor