The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 29, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1
MosinM38

Shoulder holster+CCW Holster Questions

Hey all!!!!

Been awhile (Again) but real life is a pain. Read quite a bit but can't find time to post*Sigh*

Anyway...I had a few (Bunch) of questions. I will try and make them readable

First I will say that although I am not old enough to get a CCW in my state (Montana)yet, I will be soon and I am going to get the holsters/gun/etc now so that I will be comfortable with it by the time I can. I work on my parents farm/ranch so no worries about someone going spastic about it.

#1. This is not CCW related. What is a good make/model of shoulder holster? I really have no clue as most people I know don't use them. An for work a shoulder holster will be easier to carry with when working. (Compared to a hip holster) I am wanting one that is of pretty good quality but not overly expensive.
Also. Is there a type of shoulder harness that will allow use of differant holsters by that same company? I mean, that will allow you to have a holster capable of holding a N-frame S&W and another holster for a 1911? I doubt it but I wasn't sure.
-----------------------------------------
Okay..On to CCW related topics. I will say I am almost clueless in this area. No one I know has a CCW permit. I will be the first.

My general outfit will almost always consist of Jeans, longsleeved shirt and laced up leather workshoes. In the winter add a light jacket.

Okay..my first question......
What type of holster would I need to conceal a handgun? What I wear is generally somewhat slim, that is not a lot of slop, or bags to conceal a gun. I was thinking of a holster in the small of my back, but I generally tuck in my shirt. Another thought was a ankle holster, but I the shoes I wear have a pretty high top.

My first thought was to wear a light jacket that wouldn't be to hot in the summer.....But even then a jacket moves, and in some cases you wouldn't want to wear it........
Anyone have a suggestion?

Okay...Onto my second question.

If I wore a light jacket, would a shoulder holster be a reasonable option? It would allow me to carry a larger handgun (Which would be preferable), but even so it would be easier to inadvertantly reveal it by accident.

Generally I was thinking of carrying a Ruger .357 snubby, or a compact 1911 because I would have to. If I had my own preferance, I would like to carry a larger 1911(Wouldn't have to be the full 5" though) or a 4" .357, but a handgun that large would be even tougher to conceal.

MANY thanks to any response
Old February 29, 2008, 07:37 PM   #2
The Canuck

This is a lot to absorb and respond to, so I'm gonna break it up into the relevent parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinM38
Shoulder holster+CCW Holster Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all!!!!

Been awhile (Again) but real life is a pain. Read quite a bit but can't find time to post*Sigh*

Anyway...I had a few (Bunch) of questions. I will try and make them readable

First I will say that although I am not old enough to get a CCW in my state (Montana)yet, I will be soon and I am going to get the holsters/gun/etc now so that I will be comfortable with it by the time I can. I work on my parents farm/ranch so no worries about someone going spastic about it.
Welcome aboard, life is always a pain, get used to it! Now on to the hard facts.

Quote:
#1. This is not CCW related. What is a good make/model of shoulder holster? I really have no clue as most people I know don't use them. An for work a shoulder holster will be easier to carry with when working. (Compared to a hip holster) I am wanting one that is of pretty good quality but not overly expensive.
Also. Is there a type of shoulder harness that will allow use of differant holsters by that same company? I mean, that will allow you to have a holster capable of holding a N-frame S&W and another holster for a 1911? I doubt it but I wasn't sure.
I would recommend that you stay away from shoulder holsters. You see, every time you draw a handgun from a shoulder holster, you are sweeping whoever else may be around. While it may seem inconsequential right now, think about drawing that firearm while under extreme stress. NDs are still your responsibility. I recommend a hip holster. IWB, OWB, Paddle, Belt, whatever. That way the gun comes from the holster, sweeps the ground and is on your threat.

Quote:
-----------------------------------------
Okay..On to CCW related topics. I will say I am almost clueless in this area. No one I know has a CCW permit. I will be the first.

My general outfit will almost always consist of Jeans, longsleeved shirt and laced up leather workshoes. In the winter add a light jacket.

Okay..my first question......
What type of holster would I need to conceal a handgun? What I wear is generally somewhat slim, that is not a lot of slop, or bags to conceal a gun. I was thinking of a holster in the small of my back, but I generally tuck in my shirt. Another thought was a ankle holster, but I the shoes I wear have a pretty high top.
As mentioned, I believe a hip holster, of good quality and a good gunbelt are essential to the proper wearing of a concealed firearm.

You have to consider the firearm, its thickness, length, weight, heft, capacity, shape when deciding where/how to carry it. You will have to make some changes to your wardrobe, or even look at a belly band for carry, but a lim fit wardrobe will not help hide a gun very well at all.

Small of Back holsters can be risky. If you fall or are pushed on your back the gun in the holster could cause serious spinal injury. I recommend avoiding them.

Quote:
My first thought was to wear a light jacket that wouldn't be to hot in the summer.....But even then a jacket moves, and in some cases you wouldn't want to wear it........
Anyone have a suggestion?
The first thing you will have to start adjusting is your mindset, then your wardrobe! I, as a big guy of 6'1" 220lbs, can readily hide a TRP Operator under a polo shirt.

Quote:
Okay...Onto my second question.

If I wore a light jacket, would a shoulder holster be a reasonable option? It would allow me to carry a larger handgun (Which would be preferable), but even so it would be easier to inadvertantly reveal it by accident.

Generally I was thinking of carrying a Ruger .357 snubby, or a compact 1911 because I would have to. If I had my own preferance, I would like to carry a larger 1911(Wouldn't have to be the full 5" though) or a 4" .357, but a handgun that large would be even tougher to conceal.

MANY thanks to any response
A light jacket can conceal a shoulder holster, more or less, but again, the Miami Vice look is not what I have been exposed to by Instructors. Again I would recommend that you go to a quality holster maker (my preference is Kramer Handgun Leather, I can carry a TRP Operator on my hip for hours at a time without any trouble) and you make sure that the gunbelt and mag carriers are of equal (top) quality. A snazzy holster don't mean squat if you don't support it with good product as well. Once you get a good support system, you can carry just about anything within reason.
Old March 1, 2008, 07:15 PM   #3
MosinM38

Hey thanks for the advice.

I am 6'1" and only weigh 175 pounds..... a little tougher to conceal something....sorta like looking at a pencil

Anyway.. Okay. Good advice...Guess its almost no choice in having to change wardrobe
Old March 2, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

The Canuck is dead on. The best place to start is a good leather OWB holster and good gun belt.

I prefer Galco or Bianchi and both are decently priced. Check out

www.usgalco.com

www.bianchi-intl.com

http://store.packinheatleather.com/index.html

Packin' Heat has better prices than either the Galco or Bianchi websites so if you find one you like, take a look there.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:46 PM   #5
MosinM38

Hey thanks!!!

I will look through them.

Again thanks to both of you for the advice.

One question (sorry )

Why is a "gunbelt" so important? As long as it is not one of the "Braided belts" and is at least 1 1/2" wide it should be okay right?

I asked because the ones I saw seem to be (near)identical to the ones I wear now.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Murdoch

Gun belts are typically reinforced, made to take the weight of carrying a holster. Read the descriptions though...some of them are just fancy belts made to match the holster. Depends on the maker.

I personally shopped around for a good sturdy belt at different dept stores, since I don't carry that often. A good thick Columbia belt serves me just fine currently, but I'm planning on picking up a "real" belt, by Galco or somebody, sometime soon.

If you're determined to get a SH, Galco makes a nice interchangeable rig, the Miami Classic. I'd say stick with something like an inside the waistband or OWB, and dress accordingly.

Welcome!
Old March 4, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7
xpun8

+1million on the belt.

I carried Blackhawk Serpa (paddle and belt) for about 3 months on a belt that I would consider good by looks, it only lasted about 3 months and it was so contorted. I then purchased another "heavy duty" belt for $30, it lasted about as long as the last one. When I finally decided to follow everyone's advice and buy a gun belt I shelled out $50, that was a year ago. I now have one black and one brown gun belt, and I couldn't be happier. Outside of it lasting a lot longer, the comfort factor is huge and make it worth the extra $$.
Old March 4, 2008, 12:09 PM   #8
M1911

+1 on a good gun belt. The holster won't work right on a floppy belt and it won't be comfortable either.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:54 PM   #9
MosinM38

Okay thanks!! I was curious. Personally I think mine will be okay, it is about 2 or 3 times thicker than a normal belt and has stood up to carrying my .41 Mag S&W for a long time

I am looking over the various types. I am thinking of going with a inside the belt, or a slim outer belt holster. But in about another month and a half there will be a gunshow not TOO far away. Be a good chance to go and actually try on the holsters before deciding on one

Anyway.. Thanks all!! Given me a lot to look over and think on.
Old March 8, 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
Vitamin G

A gun belt makes the IWB/OWB holster. if you do lean toward a shoulder holster, i LOVE my alessi bodyguard. It makes me look forward to winter.
Old March 10, 2008, 10:25 PM   #11
MosinM38

Although I am leaning to a belt holster, I may keep an eye out for a deal on a shoulder holster as well, Just in case. Although I agree that a belt one would be better, it's a "Just in case" type thing you know...Like If I ever saw a Mint Colt SAA for $400 Won't happen but you can dream