The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
slammedsi

44 Mag, H110 and 300Gr

Been loading 44 mag with 19grs of H110 and 300gr Nosler JHP. The books i have show several different loads. Any were between 17grs max to 22.5 max. Anyone load a similar round? I started at 16 and went up from there, and stopped at 20. I would like to know how high i can safely go. It seems the higher the charge the better the accuary Ive been getting from a rest.

Ps the gun im using is a Ruger Super black hawk, With a 4 5/8 barrel.
Old January 21, 2011, 04:13 AM   #2
rude robert

I use h110 in both my 357 and 44 mag. I only load 240gr at this point so i am not sure on the 300 gr bullets
Old January 21, 2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Win_94

Quote:
I would like to know how high i can safely go.
What your books list is a general benchmark; then you must know how to read overpressure signs. Every gun is different, you will need to determine when your loads in your guns become unsafe.

[edit]
I better add...
"Determined" "unsafe" by starting with a known safe load weight, then increasing powder weight in .1 increments. Then upon firing, checking each case in turn for stckyness of extraction, overly flattened primers, cratered primers, deformed and/or damaged cases.
If you find overpressure signs STOP. Pull the bullets from those cartridges so no one shoots them accidentally.
The highest charge weight that displayed no overpressure signs is tour max charge.

Note: Some powders may burn faster in summer than the do in winter. When developing a load in winter months, the load may display overpressure signs in summer; keep your eye on pressure in hotter temperatures.

Note 2: That is why I don't chase max velocity; although I may run into from time to time.

Last edited by Win_94; January 21, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:40 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

To continue (safely) you really need a chronograph, accurate measuring tools, and a thorough understanding of what they tell you.

How much do you really need?
Have you increased the charge weight using .2g MAX increments?
Did you make at least twenty at your highest charge weight to test? Twice?

It can get squirrely quick, so be safe in your testing.

can try moving up but "Make five test five" as you do; use .1g increments MAX as you near published maximums, and REMEMBER: EACH GUN and SPECIFIC BULLET CHOSEN are DIFFERENT, and you are testing with EACH SHOT A UNIQUE EVENT

yeah......
Old January 21, 2011, 04:20 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
Been loading 44 mag with 19grs of H110 and 300gr Nosler JHP. The books i have show several different loads. Any were between 17grs max to 22.5 max. Anyone load a similar round? I started at 16 and went up from there, and stopped at 20. I would like to know how high i can safely go. It seems the higher the charge the better the accuary Ive been getting from a rest
If you are using published recipes, identical components and a modern properly working firearm, you should safely be able to go to max loadings. If you experience sticky extraction and/or a decrease in accuracy as you work up, you need to stop and go back to the recipe that gave you the best accuracy without difficult extraction. Using bullets that decrease case capacity because they seat deeper in the case will produce higher pressures and recipes must be adjusted accordingly.

I have never loaded the 300 gr Noslers, but have used the 300 gr Speer JSPs and and stopped at 21 gr of H110/W296.
Old January 22, 2011, 12:13 AM   #6
Steve in PA

20.0 grains of H110 and 300 grain Hornady XTP's are one of my pet loads for my Ruger SRH.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:25 AM   #7
700cdl

H110 and 296 are very slow full house magnum powders and should never be loaded below minimum listed data. What has worked well for me specifically regarding slow powders is starting some where above the minimum and below the middle. I do this because slow powders are more temparemntal and more likely to go high pressure when working at the minimum loads. A person would likely have less to be concerned about with the slowest powders exceeding maximum, than dropping down below minimum. Unlike faster buring powders, you never decrease data below the listed starting charges, never! In most loads with the slow ones, charges over maximum will usually result in wasted powder, rather than high pressure issues. Many of the slowest buring powders are so stable when compressed, that accidental over charging isn't even noticed. But for the sake of good hand loading practices and safety, never load something not listed in the manuals, or take mine or anyone else's personal opinions as proper procedure.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:38 AM   #8
HoraceHogsnort

What's the point of trying for the max load anyway? Are there grizzleys running thru your back yard or some T. Rex's perhaps? If you want a really hot load buy a 454 Casull or even an S@W 500. Don't run the risk of blowing up a good 44 mag.