The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 12, 2020, 06:51 PM   #1
SAA GunSlinger

Chiappa Spencer carbine whats it rated for?

Hello i have recently acquired a chiappa spencer carbine in 45 colt. Its a riot to shoot. This year i want to take it hunting and ive looked high and low for what the gun is rated for and i cant find anything. Could my chiappa spencer carbine handle hornady lever evolutions 45 colt and or buffalo bore 45 colt. I dont want to be careless and damage my spencer with over powered ammunition. Any advice or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old October 12, 2020, 07:50 PM   #2
Jim Watson

It is made in Italy. It was proof tested for CIP standard ammo, not much different from SAAMI. You would be ok with the Hornady if the rubbernose bullet fed from the butt magazine.

Buffalo Bore claims "standard pressure" .45. Your call.
Old October 12, 2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Hawg

It's safe with any over the counter standard .45 Colt load. With it's falling block action I would think it would be safe with +P but don't take my word for it.
Old October 13, 2020, 03:02 AM   #4
Pathfinder45

Buffalo Bore makes some very high pressure 45 Colt ammo that is intended only for certain firearms that they list for it. Beware and don't use that ammo in your Spencer. That being said, they do make some 45 Colt ammo that is about as powerful as you can get at standard pressures. Be careful what you feed your Spencer; don't try to make a magnum rifle out of it.
Old October 13, 2020, 09:49 AM   #5
denster

I had one for quite awhile and ran some pretty stiff handloads in it. The Spencer action is pretty strong just don't get stupid about it. it is sensitive to cartridge length though.