The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 9, 2018, 06:13 AM   #1
Josh17

Why why why does Glock limp wrist?

I love Glocks and really want a G43 or G26 but my god do they limp wrist way too often. My wrist is slightly injured and if I shoot one handed it jams a lot. I tried 124g hotter ammo and isn’t much help, just a little.
Before anyone says revolvers...
I can shoot a shield PURPOSELY super weak handed it nearly flys out of my hand (on purpose I am trying to induce a limp wrist) and shoot it that way 200 times in a row and not have one limp wrist failure! So what in the world makes the Glock jam every other round but the S&W shield not once in hundreds of rounds with same grip and ammo? Is Glock recoil spring to blame?

I also tried the xds single stack 9mm and put roughly 200 rounds weak handed - and purposely tried to limp wrist it (I hardly could depress the grip safey!) yet it still fired fine even when TRYING to make it limp wrist. I just don’t get it...
How can the xds and shield not limp wrist when I purposely hold them super weak and try to induce one? While the Glock even if I try NOT to limp wrist often times I get a jam even holding firmly. How’s that possible?
Xds single stack
S&W compact
S&W shield 2.0 and regular
Sig P226
Beretta 92FS
^
All the above no issues even when trying to induce a limp wrist.
The Glock - be it the Glock 43 or 19 will limp wrist so easily. I don’t understand this at all. Especially since many are polymer framed...
Old November 9, 2018, 07:28 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

The gun doesn't "limp wrist", you do. You need to understand how a semi-auto works before determining the cause. Change the spring in the gun!
Old November 9, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh17 View Post
I love Glocks and really want a G43 or G26 but my god do they limp wrist way too often. My wrist is slightly injured and if I shoot one handed it jams a lot. I tried 124g hotter ammo and isn’t much help, just a little.
For right above..I have an arthritic wrist and poorly repaired dislocated RH thumb..shoot a G17/19/43/42 often and most often one handed and have had one fail to eject(on the -17)
so..YMMV, IMHO.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; November 9, 2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old November 9, 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
HistoryJunky

I've had some pretty inexperienced shooters with some garbage grips shoot my 26 and it's never malfunctioned.

I think it you might be doing something really strange and not realizing it.

I have heard that some people are prone to limp wristing with Glocks but never seen it in person.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old November 9, 2018, 09:10 AM   #5
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
The gun doesn't "limp wrist", you do. You need to understand how a semi-auto works before determining the cause. Change the spring in the gun!
This is the truth.
Old November 9, 2018, 09:27 AM   #6
stagpanther

If you fire it and allow it to flip and come back towards you it will have a failure to feed every once in a while. Hold it reasonably steady and it won't happen.
Old November 9, 2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Josh Smith

The Glock's frame flexes, absorbing energy that would otherwise be used for cycling the action.

The Glock is therefore more prone to your limpwristing than, say, steel pistols.

Regards,
Josh
Old November 9, 2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Josh, the amount that a Glock may flex is pretty inconsequential. Some steel guns are very prone to malfunctions due to limp wristing. The issue isn't the material of the gun's construction.

Notice the lack of flexion in these slow mo vids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqu9jCuR5P0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DBYFLe2eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmN99t7ulSE

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; November 9, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old November 9, 2018, 12:00 PM   #9
TunnelRat

I've been shooting Glocks for years now and I have to go out of my way to get the pistol to limpwrist. That said, and this is just a comparison not an insult, my wife has shot most of the pistols I own and she only limpwrists Glocks. I'm not entirely sure the reason. There are a lot of pistols out there. If Glocks don't work for you there's nothing wrong with choosing something else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 9, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old November 9, 2018, 12:10 PM   #10
Dano4734

I would have the gun looked at by glock. I think something is wrong.
Old November 9, 2018, 12:18 PM   #11
Dave T

Quote:
I would have the gun looked at by glock. I think something is wrong.
Before going so far as to send it back to Smyrna (or how ever it's spelled) I think you need some instruction in proper grip, with some attention to hand position and emphasis on two handed shooting.

Using two hands gives more control over recoil, thus faster follow-up shots. It makes it harder for an assailant to take the gun from you...and it will help prevent the shooter from limp-wristing.

Dave
Old November 9, 2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Lohman446

In fairness to the OP if the Glock has issues and every other gun he has tried does not its not unfair to blame the Glock.

However it seems this is not a common issue - most people do not have issues with Glocks.

This is the beauty of choice. Don't keep / buy the Glock if it gives you problems.
Old November 9, 2018, 01:01 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...My wrist is slightly injured..." That'll do it every time. It is most assuredly not the pistol. It has to do with your hand being what holds the frame in place while the slide recoils over it and your grip not being strong enough to do it.
Isn't the ammo either. Hotter ammo will just make it worse. You need to give your wrist time to heal.
I don't think a medical brace on your wrist will help either. Screw up the fit to your hand.
The Glocks have a relatively light frame with a relatively heavy slide. More weight moving over the centre of gravity.
"...The Glock's frame flexes..." Nonsense.
Old November 9, 2018, 06:11 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
"...My wrist is slightly injured..." That'll do it every time. It is most assuredly not the pistol.
But, as Lohman446 noted, the fact that the op reports that none of the several other pistols he shoots (and deliberately tried to induce jams with by using as little grip as he could and still be able to fire them) malfunctions like the Glocks do routinely, suggests to me that there is something else in play here (besides a slightly injured wrist).
Old November 9, 2018, 07:07 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

There are many different brands of gun on the market and most of those brands make a variety of models.

You've been fighting with this problem for months. In my opinion, that's enough time to determine that Glocks don't work for you and to move on to a brand/model that does.
Old November 9, 2018, 07:18 PM   #16
Capt Rick Hiott

,,,,,this is one funny post!!!!!
Old November 9, 2018, 10:05 PM   #17
Josh17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
But, as Lohman446 noted, the fact that the op reports that none of the several other pistols he shoots (and deliberately tried to induce jams with by using as little grip as he could and still be able to fire them) malfunctions like the Glocks do routinely, suggests to me that there is something else in play here (besides a slightly injured wrist).
I think you are the only one who read the post fully. With Glock 43 or 26 I can shoot one handed and if my grip is off slightly it will jam almost on command.

For the xds 9mm I can PURPOSELY hold it very weak (trying to cause a limp wrist and jam like the Glock) in fact I can hold the Springfield Xds so weakly (again on purpose) that I can hardly depress the grip safety - and it shoots perfectly!

Same story with S&W shield 9mm, I will PURPOSELY grip it super weak - with my weak hand - with such a weak grip the muzzle does flip/rise (again I am doing this ON PURPOSE to test the Glock vs two main competitors) and the S&W was 100% in 200 rounds.

So reading that going off that it shouldn’t be my grip as ALL other polymer pistols shoot fine even when purposely trying to limp wrist them...As I can grip all other pistols fine and shoot them with zero issues even if attempting to limp
Wrist them!
The Glock will fail though when not even trying! So either Glocks grip is way different then the competitors causing me issues (but I was told my grip on the Glock was proper) or the Glocks spring is way different then all the competion causing me the issues. Glocks are known as the most prone to limp wristing so maybe for some of us whatever is different with Glock causes an issue. Just cannot figure out what it is.... wouldn’t chsnging the recoil spring impact reliability?

So far 2 instructors have told me my grip isn’t an issue but it wasn’t a 1on1 training session, my work has range instructors whom I asked. Also the XDS and shield are basically the perfect to compare to a Glock 43. All 3 are single stack 9mm, all polymer and striker fired.

And John I guess you are right I just don’t want to give up on Glocks I guess, blah.

Last edited by Josh17; November 9, 2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old November 9, 2018, 10:14 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Just shoot something else as both I and John recommended.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old November 9, 2018, 10:37 PM   #19
reddog81

I'd go see a physical therapist and get the wrist fixed. I recently went to a physical therapist for my elbow and my wrist ended up being a much bigger problem. An old injury had me really limiting the movement of my wrist which was in turn causing elbow problems.

My Glock 17 is super reliable until my girlfriend shoots it. She limp wrists every other shot. She can shoot .357's and .44 Mags accurately so it's not a matter of not being able to handle a gun, it's just something to do with the way she holds the Glock.
Old November 10, 2018, 12:11 AM   #20
Josh17

Yeah, must be something different with the Glocks grip that makes it a lot more prone to jam if the user doesn’t have firm grip. People say the Glock 43 has snappy recoil but I actually found it had less Perceived recoil then shooting a Beretta 92FS!! Yeah, seriously. So I can definitely “handle” the small framed semi-auto pistols perfectly fine. In fact they seem to fit my hand much better and I shoot better with them. Xds, SW Shield all small pocket sized single stack 9mm and I can’t seem to make them limp wrist when trying.
So that means something is up with Glock be it the recoil spring, way the grip is designed, or maybe it has different slide lock up timing making it more prone to “limp wrist jams” ?

Don’t really know.

As the S&W shield I rented multiple times firing 200+ rounds TRYING to limp wrist it... It basically refused to. Then I picked up the Glock and fired with same off hand and weak grip (again on purpose) and it would jam every every other round basically.
My wrist is 99% healed so all the jams I had was a couple of months ago. Now I only experience the same limp wrist jams shooting left handed/weak handed. Right handed it will shoot almost 100% if I hold it firmly aka hold it normal. But if I loosen my grip strong handed (sometimes by accident) then it’ll often have a jam. Not always but often enough.

So I’ll purchase a S&W but I own multiple Glocks already so I’d hate to have to sell them all. That’s why I keep trying to give them a chance and figure out the issue but besides changing the recoil spring cannot think of anything. But I read changing the recoil spring to something lighter makes it more likely to malfunction in general.... which kinda defeats the purpose.
Old November 10, 2018, 01:06 AM   #21
Gats Italian

The funny thing about this thread is someone hanging on for a series of pistols that don’t work for him. That’s a textbook dysfunctional relationship. Move on, there’s nothing irreplaceable about Glocks. They are a role filler with many, many, equally competent alternatives.
Old November 10, 2018, 01:27 AM   #22
Josh17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gats Italian View Post
The funny thing about this thread is someone hanging on for a series of pistols that don’t work for him. That’s a textbook dysfunctional relationship. Move on, there’s nothing irreplaceable about Glocks. They are a role filler with many, many, equally competent alternatives.
If you read my post I stated I own quite a few Glocks which is why I’m even bothering trying to make them work. Not all of us have thousands to throw away on new pistols to replace them.
Sure I can sell them all but that’s a huge loss and amount of time. If I try to sell say a G43 or G26 to the stores out here I have been told $150 to $200 even though they are in great condition.
But I’m already trying to sell them online at the moment which takes longer then normal as my state requires it to go through an FFL dealer. Which 5 or so years ago private party sells did not require that, so online sales was much, much more active and more competitive price wise.
Old November 10, 2018, 02:13 AM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
If you read my post I stated I own quite a few Glocks which is why I’m even bothering trying to make them work.
You own all those Glocks yet never encountered this issue before the injury?

When you kept comparing your Glocks to the XDs and the Shield I assumed you owned those pistols, until the later posts clarifying the rentals. My point was to simply use one of those in the meantime, if you owned them. With the price of a Shield, around $350 or so online, for the number of times you say you've rented one and then put hundreds of rounds through it you'd likely be 1/3 of the way towards the purchase price.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 10, 2018, 04:24 AM   #24
Josh17

Yeah, I think I wasted way too much on rentals....I thought maybe it’s my Glock or the mag... Nope. I’ve rented even the same Glock just to see if mine was the issue, but nope. If anything the Glock 42 seemed to function just fine if I recall correctly. It’s been a few months or so since I rented anything, all the shooting I did was a couple or months ago or longer.
I just got reminded of this since I was going to purchase a new handgun and was trying to decide if I want to keep my Glocks or not.

In the last decade or however long it’s been I probably have only shot the Glocks maybe half a dozen times - until this year I actually started to go to the range and noticed the issues.

But I think my best solution is just to move on and forget about trying to make the Glocks work.
Old November 10, 2018, 08:53 AM   #25
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
The Glock's frame flexes, absorbing energy that would otherwise be used for cycling the action.

The Glock is therefore more prone to your limpwristing than, say, steel pistols.

Regards,
Josh

True.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread