The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 18, 2001, 10:23 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Time once again for THE GATHERING.
We need suggestions for the following:
Date
Time
Lets plan it out a little bit - give people time to schedual, and pack.

All in favor?

*Note to all Non Utah resident members... You are most welcome too.
Old January 18, 2001, 04:54 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Suggestions:
Feb 24th, PMAA Range, East Canyon Exit off I80 East (towards Park City from SLC).
After the shoot we run back into SLC into Sugar House to Rubios for Fish Tacos and Lobster Burritos.
Old January 20, 2001, 04:07 PM   #3
skyder

Firearms followed by food?
Of course I'm in!!
Old January 20, 2001, 11:48 PM   #4
Correia

If we have one count me in! I love the get-togethers. Plus I have a few lurker friends who I'm sure would love to tag along and bring their toys. Are we going to have some mini-competitions like we talked about last time? Battle rifle shootathon? Grass hopper hunting? Auto-Car Destructothon?

George, I still have the e-mail list of Utah TFLers. Do you want me to send out a message?

Sorry I missed out on this post the first couple of days, but I had a job interview to go too and I've been away from home. But hopefully if I get this job, I'll be living down around you guys area, ahh then I won't have to drive so dang far to go shooting with everybody.

p.s.

skyder, you wanted me to let you know when I'm doing shirts again, and there is a post over in general about them right now if your still interested.

Old January 21, 2001, 12:40 PM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Yeah - Send out the call, its time to rally the troops.
Uh - Check your email.
Old January 21, 2001, 01:01 PM   #6
Correia

Got it. I'm on it.
Old January 21, 2001, 05:19 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I was thinking of what we could do...
We could have a mini TFL Olympics! This will depend on where we actually go for the meet.
A series of "Games" that will include:
Can Bouncing
Bullseye
Brat Eating
Pin Shoot (Actually consisting of plastic disks if those can be available again - we dont have any actual pins.)
and a few others...
These will be shot head to head in a double elimination fashion.
We'll try to have more structure to it since we are growing every time...

Any ideas on the location?
Old January 22, 2001, 01:01 PM   #8
Correia

e-mail sent, I hope that Meiji sees this, his e-mail bounced for some reason.
Old January 22, 2001, 07:05 PM   #9
Porter-Glockwell

count me in...

the 24th sounds great. Please bring your pro-gun wives/SO's I need some one to help me convert my wife into a gun fanatic. She likes to shoot once I drag her to the range, (and routinely kicks my sorry butt) but it's the dragging that I hate.
Old January 22, 2001, 10:58 PM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

My wife has been to the last two and will not miss one now.
Old January 22, 2001, 11:42 PM   #11
Karsten

George and the rest. I used to help set up Steel and Pin matches, Ipsc and NRA action as well as SSA matches. I am (Or was) NROI and NRA cert range officer. I just bought a very heavy barreled Winchester 70 .308 and all my Competion guns are gone. I have a few SKS and subcompact .45 ACP and a 12 gauge shotgun. We could do a number of stages if there was enough safe area.
We could do some team stuff, long gun and small assault hunter, killer stages at 300-400 yards. Some stuff for those SKS, AR15 and 16 lovers, some shotgun stuff and even a few home self defence stages....We did some fun stuff in Colorado when shutting IPSC. The Pizza delivery guy, the Movie theatre, some one bring a bed and night stand and we can do a compact, subcompact and derringer stage. Wake up to two or more interuders after being blind folded and spoon around and laid down on the bed. Possibitities are endless. Charge a reasonable fee, get a few weapons donated and camping stuff and you can and will pull people from all over. We had shooters fly in from other states just to shoot and we donated the proffits to a good charity...It is work but it is fun in the end. Shooters, whether they be pistol. rifle, competion or what ever....they are all damn good people.

The new guy here.
Gotta thing big and imagine....maybe someday they will have shooting sports on TV.

Karsten
Old January 23, 2001, 12:46 AM   #12
Ding

The 24th is horrible for me. Oh well, I probably wouldn't be able to make it even if it was on a weekend. Maybe next time...

Have fun!
Old January 23, 2001, 06:25 AM   #13
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

Me and Tank Girl will try to make it....

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old January 23, 2001, 10:48 AM   #14
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Ding - the 24th of FEB... Its on a Saturday.
Take a sick day... You dont want to miss this!

Karsten, Your help will be appreciated. Welcome Aboard!
Compact .45 huh? Sweet... my favorite kinda pistol. You'll fit right in. You think big - thats cool.
Caeca - Your not getting out of this... I will come get you and Tank Girl and drag you there! You guys havent missed one yet.
Old January 23, 2001, 12:30 PM   #15
Tank Girl

Transportation is our ONLY issue with going George... How to get ammo and get there. Usually it depends on if my dad won't need his truck for a day...
But if your willing to come get us there will be no dragging required
Old January 23, 2001, 01:28 PM   #16
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Count on it.
Old January 23, 2001, 08:48 PM   #17
Correia

I'm trying to talk my very pro-gun wife into coming along, but we will need to find a sucker...errr...all-day baby sitter first. skyder met her, she rocks on the belt fed stuff.

And if I can help out at all let me know. Even though I'm up in Logan, if there is anything I can do...
Old January 23, 2001, 11:46 PM   #18
Karsten

George, there not reactive target but if you want Plates. 1000 card board paper plates (white one side/ brown the other) are available from Nobell/Sysco....Food stuff. Cake stuff for the bakery. Does any one have a Plasma cutter, we can make reactive targets for shotgun and handgunners to have fun with.
You want to start a Utah Club with a wide variety of shooting. Make it fun and if you have the space and man power make some pistol berms. Have a few 100, 200,300 and way beyond matches for the High Power guys and Gals. Yes GALS, I have shot with 3 National Champions and lost but thy where awesome ladies.
lets get a great club going with a board and a minimal dues deal to get some targets, steel plates and a few other things. You need a supplus Conex for storage, PVC pipe and I can make a great target stand, A load of sand bags, a bunch of cheap 2x1 pine and we could put the a lot to shame, we could put Utah on the map.
Just a thought, 500 serious shooter at $20 bucks a year is $10,000.....People unite and we can do this and make it fun and safe.

Just the new guy in need of serious friends and shooters are great friends.

Karsten
Old January 24, 2001, 03:16 PM   #19
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

George, should we count on you giving us a ride or expect a dragging anyway?

Old January 24, 2001, 07:32 PM   #20
Porter-Glockwell

HELP!

Any ideas on how to convince my wife to come? I think this is going to be the mother of all dragging sessions. I mentioned it in passing and she didn't seem too enthused. Like I said she likes to shoot once I get her out there, it's just hard to get her interested. I have a college course that morning so I probably wont be up there until afternoon. But if I can't get the wife to come I probably won't be coming either. suggestions?
Old January 24, 2001, 07:38 PM   #21
Meiji_man

I'm In for the 24th

Gotta new 10/22 i've been playing with...
Old January 24, 2001, 08:27 PM   #22
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

All the wives need to come, this is a Family get-together after all.

Correia, just put your kids in a cage like I do

Old January 24, 2001, 09:30 PM   #23
Karsten

By the way, where is this place and how the heck do you get there? What are the plans or is George stilll working on that? What sort of guns to bring, sorry I am a new guy and just found you all. I have alot of ideas and maybe we all need to meet before and see what is going on or what we can do.
As for your wife...invite her to a Ladies ONLY assualt rifle competion.
I have never been to a Gathering so I don't know how many show up or what disaplines you shoot....HELP!!!!

Karsten
Old January 24, 2001, 09:34 PM   #24
Mrs. Kodiac

Caeca Indivia Es - Of course you can count on a ride. We've got the big momma van that fits everyone!
Old January 24, 2001, 10:12 PM   #25
Mrs. Kodiac

Porter Glockwell: Welcome and we are glad to have a new face at the gathering! In case you don't know, I'm George's wife and I occasionally show up here with a word or two. You asked for advice and I noticed you are not getting much from the men!
I have a couple of suggestions you might use to convince your wife to come. I'm guessing that she is thinking "Oh great! I get to go to a 'guy' thing and watch a bunch of guys shoot and think they are cool." (No offense guys you know I love ya!)With this attitude I wouldn't be enthused to go either. You need to change her perspective.
Approach #1: It's a social gathering - if Correia's wife comes, there will be at least three of us girls there, four if your wife comes- it is fun to meet other people who have so much in common with you. You can actually have a conversation with a stranger and leave friends! Tell her she doesn't have to shoot if she doesn't want to, but remind her how much fun she had the last time she did.
Approach #2: If your wife is not the social type, perhaps the homemaking type, you could use the line "Honey, you really make a great chocolate cake, it would be perfect to bring to the TFL gathering (we brought food last time)I'd love it if you would come and help us out."
Approach #3: This is most important... ALL GUYS TAKE NOTES...Women love to be cherished. We feel cherished when you want to include us in something that is most important to you. When you would rather have your woman by your side at a supposedly 'guy' gathering showing her off more than your guns, proudly introducing her, and making her apart of your interests...what can I say? It's a wonderful feeling! Get rid of the "dragging" her there attitude. Tell her how important it is to you to go, how much you would love to share your interests with her, to find something that you could enjoy doing together. That you would like to introduce her to some of the great people you have talked to on TFL-meet some other couples who have the same interests to talk about.I think she will go for the sake of your relationship rather than the guns. Then of course when she gets there we will get her addicted to shooting and you will genuinely have another thing in common to do together.
Good Luck! We will see you there!

OH...I haven't really talked to George about the plans, we will get something organized and let you know soon!