Marlin 336 18 37.50%
Savage Hog Hunter 3 6.25%
Mossberg MVP Patrol 3 6.25%
SKS 7 14.58%
Other 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27, 2017, 05:32 PM   #26
jmr40

Unless you want to play cowboys and indians levers are not a good choice, pump guns only slightly better. Bolt guns or semi's are the way to go. Mag capacity isn't that big of a deal especially with DBM guns. Carrying 2-3 spare 4or 5 round magazines for a bolt gun is plenty.

There are lots of AR's that meet you budget. A 223 will kill any deer or hog, but if you just want a bigger caliber they make them.

There are several options for short handy bolt guns that will meet you budget. The "scout rifle" concept has merit, but I'm not a fan of forward mounted scopes. With irons or a low powered scope mounted conventionally they work great.

The Savage Hog hunter would be my pick of the ones you are considering. I seriously considered it, but went with the Ruger Predator in 308 instead. It is more than a pound lighter and uses detachable magazines. It doesn't have irons, but they could be added and you'd still have less money in the Ruger than the Savage. Adding iron sights to any rifle just ain't that hard nor expensive and you'd most likely get BETTER irons than the junk coming on most factory rifles that have them.

Personally I have no use for irons. A decent 1-4X scope is much better in every way and just as reliable.

Winston Churchill
Old August 27, 2017, 06:10 PM   #27
CLYA

Quote:
Unless you want to play cowboys and indians levers are not a good choice, pump guns only slightly better. Bolt guns or semi's are the way to go. Mag capacity isn't that big of a deal especially with DBM guns. Carrying 2-3 spare 4or 5 round magazines for a bolt gun is plenty.
I did want to play cowboys and indians today. Since I was shooting right next to the original Pony Express Trail, it just felt and looked right............I guess Lots of blue sky, lizards, and sagebrush.

Had a lot of fun. Two 45-70 levers, and the 30-30. Iron sights only for some good shooting at steel gongs and paper at 100 yrds.

My wife took her personal, and more modern red dot AR-15 (.223 Wylde), along with the Glock.
Old August 27, 2017, 06:17 PM   #28
flashhole

jmr40 - You're putting a bolt action rifle ahead of pump and lever guns for defense?

Bolt action would only be put ahead of break action single shot on my list. With practice you can get to be pretty good with one but it's a lot slower than a pump or lever.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 28, 2017, 12:59 PM   #29
TRX

The Marlin 336 would be high on my list... but I'd go SKS. I recently acquired one and I like it a *lot.*

Though the SKS looks clumsy, it balances and points very well, at least for me. I swing it up, my eye is looking through the sights, no need to roll my head over to get a sight picture.

My wife was similarly impressed, which has led to a marital dispute over whose rifle it is...

Availability of commercial ammunition with proper hunting bullets is limited by comparison to other calibers, which might be an issue depending on what you intend to hunt. ex-Combloc plinking ammunition is still relatively inexpensive. And if 7.62x39 isn't appropriate for your chosen game, the SKS is out. But if you've never handled or shot one before, try one before you make your final decision. The SKS isn't pretty, but I sure like mine.
Old August 28, 2017, 01:54 PM   #30
Reloadron

TRX:
Quote:
Though the SKS looks clumsy, it balances and points very well, at least for me. I swing it up, my eye is looking through the sights, no need to roll my head over to get a sight picture.

My wife was similarly impressed, which has led to a marital dispute over whose rifle it is...
About 20 years ago when my Godson who lives in NC turned 18 I gave him an SKS for his birthday. When I get down and see him and his dad I constantly need to remind his father that I gave the rifle to Jacob and not him. Willie seems to refer to it as "his" rifle.

As to wives and possessions? What's yours is hers and what is hers is hers also. Pretty simple huh?

Ron
Old August 29, 2017, 01:28 PM   #31
ronl

I'd say one of the PSA 10's that can be had for around your budget. An 18' barrel would still keep it handy without sacrificing velocity and you can get mags from 5-25 rounds. The .308 has enough oomph to handle just about anything and is usually pretty accurate.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:22 PM   #32
PatientWolf

+1 on a .44mag lever action.

Marlin 1894 or Browning '92 or Rossi '92 would be some I'd look at.
Old August 30, 2017, 07:34 AM   #33
precision_shooter

It's at the top end of your budget, but I'd go with a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Plenty of ammo, designed to shoot steel cased ammo, and shoots brass cases as well.
Easy to scope, good iron sights, controlled round feed mini Mauser action, detachable box magazines, nice wood stock. Short, light, handy, and plenty of power for hogs and deer and SD.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 1, 2017, 05:03 AM   #34
Jack O'Conner

I'd opt for the Mossberg model 464 in 30-30.

Jack
Old September 1, 2017, 05:47 PM   #35
Hanshi

A Winchester M94 Trapper in 30/30.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...1&d=1504306034
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 776b6c7e-07bc-4770-bfbb-a1d7b391bf42_zps0d068589.jpg (118.3 KB, 15 views)
Old September 9, 2017, 10:28 PM   #36
Dirty_Harry

12g pump shotgun

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old September 10, 2017, 05:24 AM   #37
fourbore

For a quick and effective hunting for fast moving game in cover I like and use the Marlin 44mag. IMHO, Any of the longer and heavier lever guns will be a handicap. You dont need or want 30/30 or 45/70 for this type of game (game size and distance).

The dual purpose is a whole different situation and for me a bit complicated. I dont want a tube feed lever for that. I think the choices would include Mini14 or probably the Mini30 and any AR-15. But an AR in one of the 30's might be better for hunting? I never hunted hogs and I hear so many totally different internet stories about what power level and bullet are needed. They dont look that big to me? The 30 BO seems like something to consider too.

I have read a lot of complaints about the Mini14/30 accuracy. I had a Mini30 that was a problem, but it was the rifle bore vs ammo diameter. I am sure that is squared away now. I like the mini more than sks, just at a gut level. Also shooting iron sights at moving targets is world different from bench resting with a scope. The budget is $700 and that favors something like a S&W or Ruger AR with change in your pocket. The think the mini is more like 800 retail. Maybe more even? Then, I dont know where this 700 number comes from. Basically you need 2 rifles or stick with the shotgun for protection and get a Marlin or the Winchester 92.

The 92 carbine is lighter than the marlin and in my experience the Miruko 92 is smoother than the marlin. The Marlin was milder to shoot with extra pound weight and rubber butt pad. I (as in me) would look at the stocks on the current 92's if I had to replace my guns.
Old September 10, 2017, 03:53 PM   #38
ThomasT

I decided on my rifle for this use many years ago and my fire of choice is the Marlin 357 I bought back in 2002. It will work for SD and hunting as long as thr range is kept to 125 yards or less.

And I have about all the other rifles mentioned so I can change anytime I want or if the situation becomes different.

And if you are in the middle of a disaster and looking for ammo you planned very poorly.

About any gun you have a good supply of ammo for can be made to work. The man with the gun is far more important the the firearm.

Mini 14s are priced around $650 at my local Walmart. Not $800.
Old September 10, 2017, 09:49 PM   #39
Model12Win

Not sure why anyone would choose a Marlin .30-30 when an SKS fires just as good a cartridge at half the cost per round if not less, and also is semi-automatic with a larger reserve.
Old September 11, 2017, 06:55 AM   #40
Reloadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Not sure why anyone would choose a Marlin .30-30 when an SKS fires just as good a cartridge at half the cost per round if not less, and also is semi-automatic with a larger reserve.
Likely because for many the look and feel of the traditional lever gun a a certain lure to it. The taste of a good many people leans towards a lever gun as a good handy rifle for general use.

Quote:
I've been wanting to get into boar hunting for a while and I think I'm going to buy a rifle next week with this in mind. But I'd also like something to use as a brush deer rifle and even for defense in a SHTF type of situation (where I might want something more than my pistols or shotguns). This is new ground for me as I've only hunted with shotguns in the past. This would be the first rifle I've owned in a while.
Additionally cartridge offerings like the .44 Remington Magnum and .45 Colt in a rifle compliment a nice side arm in either cartridge.

I am not saying the 7.62 X 39 cartridge or the SKS is a poor choice but saying in many instances individual personal taste figures into things. A good friend of mine took many a whitetail deer in West Virginia using an SKS and quality hunting ammunition.

Ron
Old September 11, 2017, 08:06 AM   #41
kraigwy

Looking at your criteria the Marlin 336 seems to be the best option on that list.

The 30-30 is tired and true, been around a long time and will be around a lot longer.

Personally I like the Winchester 94 but it wasnt on the list. It reality there is nothing wrong with the Marlin except its not a Winchester.

I have a lot of guns, fancy target rifles, to some that are just So So, but still my (Wife's) Model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine (made in 1929) is a pure joy to shoot.

Everyone has to have a Thirty Thirty Lever gun, its the law, or should be.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 11, 2017, 09:09 AM   #42
reinert

"Everyone has to have a Thirty Thirty Lever gun, its the law, or should be."

I'll concur on that one...

My first good deer rifle growing up back in Minnesota was a M94 Winchester in .32 Special. My oldest son has that now, and it was, and still is, a very accurate shooter. My youngest son has a M94 in 30-30, and it too is spot on accurate. Both those rifles were built back in the mid-fifties; classic old lever guns, classic old Winchesters.

Up until a few months ago, I did not have a 30-30 in my arsenal. I now have 2, both 336s, one built in 1962, the other in 1953. My next oldest brother found a 36A model Marlin at an auction not long before I found my two Marlins, and his is a 30-30 also. He got me started on my quest for a good 30-30. I shopped gunbroker for a good long time looking at all the vintage models offered, and selected the two I have now. They will go to my grandkids, but not until I have my fun with them ;>) .

The one built in '62 has micro-groove rifling, and it wears a 4x Leupold compact on it, and is superbly accurate (m.o.a. @ 100 yds doing my part). The one built in '53 has the Ballard rifling, wears just the barrel sights (not drilled and tapped), and even with my old eyes, I can keep my shots well under two inches @ 50 yds. consistently. That may not sound like much, but to me, that's pretty big. I can also mess with cast bullets with the Ballard rifling, too; looking forward to that.

With my handloads, I'm having more fun with those two Marlins, and wondered why it took me so long to play with the 30-30. Reloading components are so readily available, and so easy to reload for, along with being so easy to shoot on cost, and on the shoulder. You just cannot beat a 30-30 lever gun, be it Winchester or Marlin. Personally, I'll take the Marlin these days (my vote), and an old vintage one to boot. Shop around and find a good ol' 336. Just an old guy's opinion... Have fun deciding on your quest!
Old September 11, 2017, 09:21 AM   #43
reinert

BTW, I forgot to mention that BOTH of those 336s I found on gunbroker were just a tad over 400 bucks each, and that cost included the shipping and FFL charges. Those good ol' Marlins are still out there, and lots of 'em to choose from besides. And again, good hunting, on hogs and guns!
Old September 11, 2017, 01:11 PM   #44
Model12Win

Factory .30-30 is easily three times as expensive as factory x39, FWIW.
Old September 11, 2017, 01:15 PM   #45
lordvader

My vote would be for a lever gun in either a 44 magnum or 30 30. Unless you live in bear country, the 45 70, although a great cartridge, the rifle is heavy, recoils hard, and ammunition is expensive. I own its little cousin the Marlin 444 and the above is pretty much true.
Old September 11, 2017, 03:34 PM   #46
ThomasT

Quote:
BTW, I forgot to mention that BOTH of those 336s I found on gunbroker were just a tad over 400 bucks each, and that cost included the shipping and FFL charges. Those good ol' Marlins are still out there, and lots of 'em to choose from besides. And again, good hunting, on hogs and guns!
rienert i just picked up a Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 off GB a few weeks ago for $305+$50 transfer and shipping. Its a Glenfield model 30D with a half magazine and no cross bolt safety made in 1968. I had one of these years ago and with the half mag it would shoot groups in the 1" range with a scope on it.

I reload for 30-30 and have loads from 5grs of Bullseye and a .30 caliber round ball up to full power hunting loads and since a lever action cycles by hand a full power load isn't needed. I like that option over the semi autos. The ability to recover your spent brass is a big plus to me.

If you take the time to look a nice JM stamped Marlin lever action can be found for a decent price.
Old September 11, 2017, 03:44 PM   #47
zipspyder

I'd take a lever over a pump rifle but it's hard to ignore sks for the cheaper ammo. If it was me I would go for the ever dependable lever in 30-30.
Old September 11, 2017, 08:34 PM   #48
ThomasT

Yes ammo for thr SKS can be cheaper as long as you are talking about the steel-cased blasting ammo and FMJ bullets. But when you compare brass cased ammo with a good soft point bullet the prices are within a couple of dollars apart per 20 rounds.

But the odds are much better that you will be able to find the cases for the 30-30 when the cases for the SKS will be flung far away into the dirt and grass. Once you have the cases the rounds can be loaded for a fraction of the factory price.

But I do own three 30-30s and two SKS rifles so I like both.
Old September 12, 2017, 09:47 AM   #49
reinert

ratshooter,

You sound like a 336 guy, so I thought I'd tell you a bit about my new/old Marlins. The one built in '62 is just a really nice standard RC model, pistol grip with the white spacers as you'd expect (and topped with the Leupold 4X compact). The older '53 model is stamped RC on the barrel, has the Ballard rifling as mentioned, but has a straight grip along with the old standard blade and brass bead on it (no ramp). From what I've looked up lately on the old 336s, it looks like a Texan, but without the squared lever, and of course, no saddle ring. As long as I own it, it won't be drilled and tapped, either. It's just a really cool old rifle that looks like it should live in a saddle scabbard. Really shoots fine, too. Great find for me.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:58 AM   #50
hdwhit

What about an AR in 458 Socom? Big bullet. Decent speed. Uses AR mags. Just swap uppers to go between it and 223.