The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 17, 2018, 12:31 AM   #1
noahred000

Problems with Pin on PPSH41 Bolt

So I have recently bought a PPSH 41 parts kit and am in the process of converting it to a semi auto build. One of the problems I've been having lately is getting the Pin that holds the firing pin out. I have tried spraying Pb blaster penetrating oil on the pin, heating it up, and tapping it out with a punch but this didnt work. Than I tried a last option by drilling the pin out. I applied cutting oil to the pin and used a handheld drill with a tungsten bits to try and drill it out. Now realizing i might have to use a carbide bit to drill it out. Has anyone ever had this problem, or experienced anything like this, If someone out there can give me any advice on how to get this pin out I would highly appreciate it
Thanks Noah
Old September 17, 2018, 05:42 AM   #2
tango1niner

Hand drilling with a carbide drill can be done but may end w/a broken drill. If you know someone with a Bridgeport mill it might be easier to drill the pin. You said you drilled it out, can you tap it? If you can tap it, screw a piece of threaded rod (or bolt) and jack it out.

Last edited by tango1niner; September 17, 2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:09 PM   #3
noahred000

I tried drilling it out with a titanium pin but it didn't work. I might try finding someone with a mil I think that would be better. If I can make a tap i know i can just drill it out but its just a straight pin its not threaded on the sides or anything. Thank you for you advice.

Tags
gun smithing , parts kit , pin , ppsh41