The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 15, 2019, 01:08 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Looking for a place to shoot in FL.....

As some of you know, I am not a club person or a CAS Shooter. I like to shoot alone. (For safety, but mostly because few other shooters would put up with my shenanigans.) I am too slow and way too finicky.

I will be living in North Naples off of Immokalee Road.

I found a gentleman who has invited me to look at his property which is in Ona, FL about 90 minutes from home. Former Marine, 100% disabled after a head wound in Second Fallujah. Big piece of property about three tenths mile from the nearest road.

I will likely build a shooting bench with a canopy.

We leave VA for the last time on March 23. I will pick up my pick up truck on about the 27th. (2007 Chevy 2500.) Company truck from South Car Motorsports on Lee Road near Fort Myers.

I was hoping to find a place closer to home but am as yet unsuccessful. One person responded but asked if I would sign an affidavit absolving him of any and all liable from now until the second coming. Of course I would but that was not enough for his attorney. I told him I would also get PL coverage. The attorney was unmoved. Not surprised by that, attorneys being the zero risk animals that they are.

I know it sounds like I don't like attorneys which is not the case. Attorneys are a very necessary evil. The folks who really bother me is the people who employ attorneys with the belief that they must do exactly what the attorney says every time the lawyer opens his or her mouth. Even the attorneys will tell you that is not true.

I'll post some photos of this place once I get settled
Old March 15, 2019, 01:46 PM   #2
woodnbow

Go with the devil dog. No better friend...
Old March 15, 2019, 02:09 PM   #3
noelf2

...or just look around for a piece of land for shooting, and dodging cottonmouth strikes, and alligators and such. Find a secluded beach spot and shoot holes in the water. Etc..
Old March 15, 2019, 06:28 PM   #4
HillBilly Willy

Good luck and keep your powder dry in that humidity!

I'll be moving to Florida next year myself, but in the Orlando area.
Old March 15, 2019, 07:18 PM   #5
FITASC

Sorry to hear that; the Orlando area traffic really sucks with lots of toll roads. There are some decent gun clubs and ranges but there are better places.
Naples has a nice shotgun club just outside of the area; there might be a metallic range in the area.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 15, 2019, 07:42 PM   #6
HillBilly Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Sorry to hear that; the Orlando area traffic really sucks with lots of toll roads. There are some decent gun clubs and ranges but there are better places.
Naples has a nice shotgun club just outside of the area; there might be a metallic range in the area.
Yeah, I won't be IN Orlando, hopefully just south enough to escape the worst. I'm only moving there to keep an eye on my parents, who are getting up there. Otherwise I'd move somewhere more rural, and a different state too possibly.
Old March 15, 2019, 08:37 PM   #7
FITASC

Lakeland has a rifle/pistol club, as does Polk County and a few other areas near Orlando
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 16, 2019, 02:18 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

HBW...

We are in the same boat. Folks are 94 and 90 respectively, still very healthy but not healthy enough to drive, mow their lawn, decorate for Christmas and climb on ladders. Unforunately they still do all of that stuff. It just made more sense for me to sell out and move to them than to uproot them.

For FITASC,

I am not a club kind of person. Kind of awkward socially when it comes to shooting. I shoot slowly. I don't like interruptions. I don't like having to do what others are doing. I am not that great of a shot, so I don't like people watching me. My observation of organized groups both in the shooting sports and in other disciplines is that FOR ME they fall into two extremes:

1. Far too many rules trying to be safe, or legal, or regimented, depending upon the discipline.

2. Far too much chaos which, in groups which get together to shoot, spells potential disaster.

I have come to embrace an ALMOST universal truth. Two people on a range is more than twice as dangerous as one person on a range.

Okay, Off that soap box.

Anyway, it appears that the place I have found will be more than acceptable notwithstanding the long drive.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:22 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

BTW

There is a very good gun show that is held three or four times per year in Dade City. High percentage of small size vendors.
Old March 17, 2019, 10:53 PM   #10
OutlawJoseyWales

Doc, that's a good choice with the family. They will not be with you forever. Wish you were closer, you could just drop by and shoot all you want. I'm also a "lone" shooter, I'm just like that. As I'm in the Dade City area, it'd be a long drive for you however. Take care, glad you're back on here.
Old March 18, 2019, 06:31 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

OJW....

I noticed the Dade City Gun Show is April 6,7. I love that show. Fewer big vendors and more little guys.

I wonder how long it takes to shift to FL residency.
Old March 18, 2019, 09:31 AM   #12
Jleonard

Quote:
Not long. I did it in 2016.
Go online to the city or county government where you'll be located. All the info should be there, it was in my area which is Pasco county. You need some mail to your address, we did that ahead of time.
We also registered to vote before we actually moved. Easy to do online.
Day 1 we got our Florida Driver's license (15 minutes)
We were then residents.
Day 2 we registered our vehicles (20 minutes)
Day 3 I got my carry permit paperwork submitted (10 minutes), received the permit 5 days later in the mail.

Good luck!!
Old March 18, 2019, 04:56 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

Thanks J

I will have a vehicle registered in FL within about three days of getting there.

We will also have a utility (Cable and internet) by about the 26th. Not certain if it will be documented that quickly.

I am going online right now to see if I can register to vote.
Old March 26, 2019, 03:23 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

We're here.

Moved in and getting situated.

Establishing domicile in FL is easy. Should be finished in one visit
Old March 26, 2019, 10:03 PM   #15
Tidewater_Kid

Glad you made it!
Old March 26, 2019, 10:28 PM   #16
Doc Hoy

Tnx TK

Tnx TK
Old March 27, 2019, 10:16 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Congratulations. Hopefully you're not in a flood zone.

BTW, this thread reminds me to step outside and practice. See you guys.
Old March 27, 2019, 10:00 PM   #18
ChuteTheMall

Florida, the fastest growing state, is very efficient at accepting new residents.
Although any DMV can get crowded, if you have your papers in order they'll welcome you ASAP.
Old March 28, 2019, 04:06 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

We live in northern Naples.

There is a government services office within five minutes of the house. Everything needed can be done in that office with the single exception of VA benefits which I already handled.

The online instructions swear up and down that specific documents are needed. But folks at the office reveal that in the absence of documents, the applicant can swear to affidavits. Looks like the total bill to establish domicile for two people will be about 140.00.

We can do it in one day.
Old March 28, 2019, 07:23 AM   #20
FITASC

Quote:
Fairly immediately; I moved here in 2003. D/L, tags, utility bills, go for the homestead tax exemption, it will cut your property taxes down
Old March 29, 2019, 07:09 PM   #21
Doc Hoy

Am a Florida voter and a Florida driver as of today. I think I can legally buy at gun shows. When I establish domicile I will check the Homestead act.
Old March 29, 2019, 10:03 PM   #22
FITASC

Where did you wind up?
Old March 30, 2019, 06:41 AM   #23
Doc Hoy

Naples

Near the intersection of Immokalee and Airport pulling
Old April 7, 2019, 07:17 PM   #24
Doc Hoy

Major strides

We got our FL driver's licenses.
We established FL domicile. (Can't take advantage of the Homesteader's act.)
Picked up my pickup and did not have to pay the "Impact fee" because it weight more than 4500 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy 1.jpg (171.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Chevy 2.jpg (132.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Chevy 3.jpg (144.5 KB, 11 views)
Old May 6, 2019, 07:23 AM   #25
Doc Hoy

FINALLY!!!

After about five years I finally got out to shoot. Made an arrangement with a guy in Ona, Florida Pop. 314, one bar.

That is farm country, horses, cattle and orchards. Next time I go, I will be making the shooting bench and target stands. (Grass is tall and I lost about 90% of the brass from a lever gun.) I'll take a weed wacker too. Once that is complete, I will post photos.

The location is about half a mile off the road and fronts onto woodlands and grasslands of about 35,000 acres. Easy to see a clear field of fire.

Two minor drawbacks:

1. It is about an hour and a half drive
2. It is lovebug season so the windshield gets a good pelting.