The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 28, 2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Prof Young

To become a CCW instructor in IL . . .

So local range owner said he'd consider me as an instructor if I got qualified to teach CC in Illinois. I've been on line trying to figure out what training I need to do that and am a touch confused. I have NRA basic pistol plus the eight extra hours to qualify for my own CC permit. What else do I need to teach besides finger prints and the paper work?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 31, 2018, 01:33 PM   #2
DaleA

If nobody here can answer your question maybe you could go back to the range owner and ask him...I'd think he'd know what the qualifications were if for no other reason than to check and make sure they were good.
Old May 31, 2018, 01:56 PM   #3
JohnMoses

You need to take the NRA instructors course for basic pistol, basic pistol is not enough. The requirements are on the ISP website.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Don P

Quote:
You need to take the NRA instructors course for basic pistol, basic pistol is not enough.
I believe the OP has that, as he stated this,

Quote:
I have NRA basic pistol plus the eight extra hours to qualify for my own CC permit
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Mike38

Don P, I think what JohnMoses means is you have to become a NRA instructor in basic pistol, not just take the class as a student. Or at least that's how I took it?
Old May 31, 2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Don P

Yeh, guess it could be taken either way. What we need is for the OP to clarify his statement
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 1, 2018, 02:46 AM   #7
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
So local range owner said he'd consider me as an instructor if I got qualified to teach CC in Illinois. I've been on line trying to figure out what training I need to do that and am a touch confused. I have NRA basic pistol plus the eight extra hours to qualify for my own CC permit. What else do I need to teach besides finger prints and the paper work?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Hi Prof... this might be of help to you if you haven't already got it figured out:

How to be an approved Illiniois Concealed Carry Firearms (ILCCF) Instructor

Snippet:

In order to become an approved Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms (ILCCF) instructor you must meet the following requirements:

• Be at least 21 years of age
  • A legal resident of the United States
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate
  • Have one of the following valid firearms instructor certifications:
  1. Certification from a law enforcement agency
  2. Certification from a firearm instructor course offered by a State of
    federal government agency
  3. Certification from a firearm instructor qualification course offered by the
    Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board
  4. Certification from an entity approved by the Department that offers
    firearm instructor education and training in the use and safety of
    firearms
Old June 1, 2018, 11:33 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...as he stated this..." No instructor qualifications or training mentioned. Having personal level training and a CCW licence does not make one an instructor.
Aside from the stuff Jazzgun posted, how much time have you spent actually teaching? Preferably firearms related subjects and the local laws pertaining to 'em? It matters.
Old June 1, 2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

If one is to become an instructor, the NRA classes are just a beginning step, IMHO. It depends how in depth you want to go. Is the class just legalisms for the permit with some basic handgun techniques? It seems so from the descriptions, I've found.

If one is interested in a greater depth of knowledge and higher level instructing then, classes like this are a good idea:

https://massadayoobgroup.com/deadly-...tructor-class/
http://rangemaster.com/training/inst...opment-course/
http://rangemaster.com/training/adva...opment-course/

These are not cheap but quite intensive.

I would also be cognizant of gender issues in instruction. See our Pax's write up:
http://www.corneredcat.com/what-make...ms-instructor/

for example.

I would ask the instructor's credentials if I were interested in more than a simple permit certification and would expect such along with a battery of tactical usage courses and competition participation.

So decide your level of instruction and don't teach out of your depth. With no offense to anyone we have a range of 'tactical instructors' out there.
Old June 1, 2018, 05:16 PM   #10
Mike38

Quote:
Is the class just legalisms for the permit with some basic handgun techniques?
In the Illinois CCL class I attended, not much time was spent on handgun techniques. The very basic fundamentals, sight alinement, stance, smooth trigger press, that's about it. None of it was new to me, but may have been to someone newer in handgun ownership. I got the impression that the instructor assumed everyone there had a good grasp of the basics. The range time proved otherwise. I was surprised at the number of people that failed the live fire test of the class. They have the opportunity to refire as many times as needed, but I didn't stick around to watch. Most of the time was spent on "legalisms". Too much actually. I doubt I walked out of there remembering a fraction of what the instructor even said. I kind of felt like I'm on my own when it comes to the legal sides of carry.

Personally, I wouldn't want to become a Illinois CCL Instructor. If I understood correctly, there is a certain amount of liability the instructor is required to hold, even after the student passes. As law suit happy as Illinois is, I want no part of that.