The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 2, 2018, 12:40 AM   #26
HiBC

This whole scam is not about getting a deal on a Leupold.You don't get a Leupold.

If you expect a $500 scope for $110,...well,Life gives lessons.The cure for Naivete is betrayal. A fool and his money are soon parted,etc.Suckerbait.Life is not fair.Caveat Emptor. No sympathy,either.

Some folks have morphed this into "Just buy the $110 scope"

Thats up to you.

I'm not going to reward fraud.This marketer is lying to me and ripping off Leupold. Why would I have any faith in the product?

If you want a cheap imported scope,thats OK. Buy one that is honest.

I just bought a Chinese copy of the old 3/4 tube Denver Redfield "Baby Redfield" .22 scope. Its a really nice little scope! I liked it well enough I bought another.
Thing is,it was sold to me as a Gru-Bee Wolf Pup 4X Chinese scope.It was NOT sold to me as a Redfield.

No lies,no fraud. I'm grateful to the guy who pulled off the project for bringing back something from the 70's
Old September 2, 2018, 06:54 AM   #27
eastbank

you have it the nail right on the head, I have 30-31 leupolds and know that if I have any problems that leupold will fix or repair them. I sent in a leupold pioneer 4x scope made in the 50,s that was a bit cloudy and they sent me a new FX-11 4x scope(299.00 on optical planet) free of charge including shipping. there is not another scope maker in the world who will fix-repair one of their scopes over 50+ years free of charge, no matter if you are the first or tenth owner.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:04 AM   #28
Don Fischer

How do they get away with selling it with the Leupold name on it in a box that look's like a Leupold box?
Old September 2, 2018, 10:38 AM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Don, not having seen one (or even known about it before reading this thread), I'm guessing that somewhere on the box, as at the website, it says, "Leupold China". The proverbial "technicality".

Maybe Leupold is in contact with the Federal Trade Comission about it; I dunno.
Old September 3, 2018, 01:36 PM   #30
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
dhgate is shameful.
Or shameless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
So, the theory is that knock off factories will do high end goods.
Knock off goods don't always come from different factories. They aren't even always unlicensed, though the license may not include sale within the US.

I don't know that we would call the bulk of the market "high end". As I understand the model of Primary Arms optics, they sell chinese optical products along with a promise of adequate quality control, one of the big variables in off hours production.

Ebay is a gamble. I use it for small things and have been wrong several times.

Last edited by zukiphile; September 4, 2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old October 10, 2018, 11:34 AM   #31
RAfiringline

>How do they get away with selling it with the Leupold name on it in a box that look's like a Leupold box? <

They didn't - at least not with me.

As soon as I got it, I knew it was bogus. The box wasn't quite right (I have a couple real Leupolds), and the serial number on the scope was all numbers instead of numbers followed by 2 letters which key to the manufacture year. I didn't even bother to call Leupold to verify the number.

The scope itself looked good so I thought it might be ok on a 22lr for $25 (he refunds me $85), if it dialed in ok at the range. I didn't like how it dialed in so I just told him to give me a full refund. It had very nice glass, but adjustments, not so much.

I quickly got refunded the $110 and didn't even have to pay for return shipping. As I told the seller, I didn't think he was aware he was selling counterfeits since he used USPS for shipping - he was very apologetic.

Since I was in the mood for a new scope, I bought a Leupold vx-freedom 1.5-4 from Optics Planet for $164 tot - a little better than the going price. I called in to L, and verified the serial #. It's a good AR scope.

Ebay and Paypal have builtin refund procedures so I knew I was at -0- risk on the deal.