The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 29, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1
FALigator

WTK: Colt 1911A1 Lend-Lease help please!!

Summoning the 1911 gurus...I've recently acquired a 1943 production Colt 1911A1 (SN #9336XX) and have determined that it is not one of the 1,515 Canadian Lend-Lease pistols (no "C" broad arrow marks on slide or frame). It is British proofed on the frame, slide, and barrel. My question is, was the US still supplying firearms to the Brits as late as Spring/Summer 1943? The SN falls in the range of the Canadian guns but again, no Canadian proofs. It is in about 70-75% condition and is all matching, marked, and #'d as a correct 1943 mfg. Colt. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance gents.
Old December 29, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2
kraigwy

Ok, now you got me to wondering. Years ago someone told me my 1911a1 was a lend lease. I never paid too much attention to it, but it has something looking like the "C" broad arrow marks" on the frame, right side to the rear, pretty much lined up directly under the rear sight.

My serial number is 16333**.

Anyone have a picture of the "C" broad arrow mark or know the serial number range for lend lease, either to Canada or England.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 29, 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Try going here and shout out for John Holbrook or Doran or Scott Gahimer.

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Photos of the pistol and the markings would help a LOT.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have a 1943 Colt M1911A1 with British proofs that I know was Lend-Lease. It is new and unfired except for factory and British proof firing.

The Lend-Lease program began in March 1941 and continued throughout WWII, sort of morphing into the various military assistance progarms at the end of the war.

The British proofs, BTW are not military proofs; few if any of those guns were ever issued because of the different ammo. The civilian proofs were applied when the guns were sold out of military stores in Britain. Some were sold in Britain (British "subjects" were graciously permitted to own handguns in those days) or the continent, but the bulk came back to the U.S. I saw them unpacked from the same crates they had been shipped in during the war.

Jim