The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 25, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1
checkmyswag

Point me to good concealed carry choice resources please

I have searched this forum and searched online.

I can't find what I'm looking for.

I would like to find objective (if possible) data/facts/suggestions/commentary on concealed carry weapon choices, caliber sizes, number of rounds to carry and such.

Are there any such definitive resources?

I understand everyone has an opinion on the subject, I'm looking for resources to make a good decision with.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Hans

"I understand everyone has an opinion on the subject, I'm looking for resources to make a good decision with."

That's the problem, everything you read is likely only someone's opinion. There is no single answer for what you are looking for, it depends on what works for you.

You may want to look into statistics like those on the FBI website about criminal shootings. At least it might give you some info.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:30 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

Here's a good resource:

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB...h-Handguns.asp
Old May 26, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4
HK Jake

Check out Defensive Carry Forum. I belong to this site as well, and it's an excellent resource for issues regarding concealed carry and open carry. Give it a look!
Old May 26, 2011, 12:20 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Factors...

The problem with the "what should I buy" or "what works best" topics is the very broad nature of the subject.
Budget/$, skill level, general health/well being, size, legal issues(local laws or ordanances), etc are all important.
There are a few simple concealed pistols or DA only revolvers that could protect you but as the owner/user you'd need to make a full effort too.
For a concealed carry user/entry level; I suggest a SIG Sauer DAK type P239 SASII or a P229R with night sights in .40 or .357sig.
Other brands include the HK P30, P2000, P2000sk or HK45 compact. All of these models would be in the DA only/LEM(law enforcement modification) format & include 3 dot night sights. The 9x19mm PX4 Storm C(constant action) could do well for defense or some concealed use too.
Glock, M&P, Ruger SRs, Kahrs, XDm model pistols are better for advanced level handgun owners or LE/armed security officers in my opine.

ClydeFrog
Old May 26, 2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Glenn Dee

I'd recomend this forum right here.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:56 AM   #7
PSP

There are a few comparison sites that may help.

http://www.whichgun.com/

http://mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf
Old May 26, 2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Maxem0815

As far as a gun no real suggestions. But caliber BIGGER THE BETTER. I personally carry a 1911 .45 acp but I stand 6'4" and weigh in at 225 so I can hide one.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:02 PM   #9
checkmyswag

Thanks for the URL's!

I don't want to geek out too hard and search for some whiz bang caliber or wundergun.

I don't want to carry a .17HMR the size of a postage stamp, yet I don't need a hand cannon.

So that leaves me to look at things in the relative middle. I don't want to be under/outgunned, but I also don't want to haul around 5 pounds of firepower either.

I like the logic of "whatever you will carry and shoot well" is best.

Just looking for some specific information. Thanks again.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

The two hands you used to type up this thread and the safety between your ears.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Mudinyeri

Quote:
I don't want to geek out too hard and search for some whiz bang caliber or wundergun.
Good. Because there is no such thing.

Here's my recommended approach when someone seeks my advice about a carry gun:

1. Try to shoot as many potential prospective carry guns as possible - ask friends that own guns if you can buy them some ammo in exchange for a range session with their guns; also offer to help them clean the guns afterward
2. Select a handful that you shot well and that fit you well - both a fit in your hand as well as carry and concealment fit
3. Shoot that handful of guns some more; become familiar with their operation, positive traits and negative traits
4. Select the one of the handful of guns that you can operate the most confidently, shoot the most accurately, carry the most religiously and ... prepare to buy several more

The simple truth is that a carry gun is a very individualized choice - as is the holster in which you carry it. There's no website or computer program in the world than can make that choice for you.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Amin Parker

There is no one size fits all.

A 38 snub, a pocket pistol, a full size 9mm or 45, a compact 9mm or 45. This is basic carry equipment imho. This will cover you for different seasons, clothing types, home defence, road trips and nights out. Dont forget to practice.

The above is just my opinion. I carry all day, every day.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:04 PM   #13
orionengnr

Or you could do what I did. Spend about ten years buying this one, shooting it, carrying it, finding that it is too big, too small, too fat, too unreliable, lousy trigger, too small a caliber, buying another, selling the prior, repeating three or four dozen times...

Fun, and effective (in time), but neither fast nor cheap.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Seaman

Like orionengnr I’ve shot just about everything out there, and for CCW duty it boils down to (1) size, (2) reliability, and (3) accuracy.

Everything else is secondary.

Finding your natural shooter, the one that carrys well concealed, is 100% reliable, and can shoot bottle-caps at 5 feet or 50 yards (in your hand), is the quest.

Just tell forum members what you need, sit back and read the advice.

Good luck.

PS…. if any of you have found the perfect CCW handgun let me know, I’m still looking…
Old May 27, 2011, 06:28 PM   #15
chris in va

Rent a *lot* of guns in various calibers.

Don't worry, the gun you get as your first 'carry' weapon won't be your last. Trust me.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:01 PM   #16
Buzzcook

What makes the best concealed carry for you is completely subjective.

There are plenty of objective facts about guns. Size, weight, capacity, etc. All those objective facts add up differently for each person.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:31 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Read as much as you can. This site is a great place to start. Everyone has their own opinion but the only one that really matters is yours.

Read up, make a choice and then be prepared to change it. What sounds like great advice doesn't always work for every individual nor does it always work as well in real world.

Case in point, after a lot of research, I decided I'd pocket carry and IWB carry a S&W 637 when I first started. Pocket carry didn't work and I found IWB to be very uncomfortable. I've since moved to a smaller auto along with a couple of larger autos. While I still carry that 637 on occasion, it's always OWB now.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:17 AM   #18
fightingbard

Hello,

I will humbly suggest;

Buy a gun that fits your hand.
Buy a caliber that you can shoot comfortably.
Carry, a size that you can carry comfortably.

So you find the gun that, more or less does well in these three issues for you, you find your carry gun.
That's about it, no big deal.

It is all about "you", not the gun itself...

All the best
Old May 28, 2011, 12:15 PM   #19
Doc Intrepid

CMS --

In terms of objective data, you can find data regarding ammunition performance in ballistics tables. That is not subjective - it's quantifiable.

Same thing with manufacturers specs on handguns - length, width, height, trigger pull, # of rounds, etc.

In terms of comparisons, looking at this data will identify which handgun is a bit thicker, or carries more rounds...

But ultimately there is no objective comparison regarding which CCW firearm will best fit your needs. That's because whether the gun is right for you or not is subjective. Some guns will 'feel better' in your hand than others, you will often inherently shoot better with one than another. This isn't quantifiable, and hence isn't objective data. You can only discover the best CCW firearm for your needs by trying different options - one will fit your hand and your style better than the rest.

(It gets even more complex - one thing I've discovered is that the optimal firearm that I carried in my 20s and 30s is not the optimal carry gun in my 50s - what is "right" for you may change in accordance with different phases or periods in your life. Alternately you may have 2 or 4 optimal choices and rotate them based on time of year or your activities, etc.)

One idea has frequently been proven true for many CCW carriers, however:

The small, handy gun that you can carry quickly and conveniently is the one you'll most often have with you. The larger, heavier, more tactically effective handgun will more often get left at home. It's something to keep in mind when you are pondering your choices.

Best,

Doc
Old May 28, 2011, 10:40 PM   #20
checkmyswag

I've got a reasonable idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the resources.

Sounds like my next best move would be to find a good range that rents the guns I'm considering.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:01 AM   #21
WESHOOT2

objective and definitive?

Not yet invented.

One must actually at least hold a gun to find if it fits one's hands, much like one must sit in a car seat to find if it fits their seat.
Ay?

I mean, there's alotta different guns out there.....for a reason.

And there is always the S&W J-frame.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:53 PM   #22
jersey_emt

I agree with the consensus here. You need to try out a number of different models before you find the best choice for you. And it has to be the best choice for you, because another person's best choice does not mean that gun is also your best choice.

I'm the owner of WhichGun.com, one of the sites previously recommended in this thread. I do include ratings on concealability and firepower that are based on objective and quantifiable data (width, weight, height, and length for Concealability Factor, caliber and capacity for Firepower Factor, and all six for CCW Factor). But I try to make it clear that I am not claiming that a gun which earns a higher rating is "better" than one with a lower rating. My goal was to help a prospective buyer narrow down the dizzying number of choices to a more manageable "short list" of guns to research in more detail.

I believe the best course of action is to use the resources out there to help you narrow down your choices to 8-10 handguns. Then, try to find a range that has these models available to rent, and shoot them all. If a particular model is not offered as a rental gun in your area, you should at least go to a gun shop and hold the gun to see how it feels in your hands. After doing all this, you should have a good idea of what your best choice is.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:50 AM   #23
Dwight55

You are asking (in advance of course) which horse will win the race on race day. Twelve horses entered will get you thirteen or fourteen answers from a typcial sample of humanity.

In shooting, . . . I have a friend who refuses to carry anything bigger or heavier than a Ruger LCP.

I carry a full size all steel 1911, . . . or a XD45 and 2 spare mags for whichever of them I am carrying.

Therefore, . . . it all depends. I am a product of military training and Viet Nam, . . . he is a full fledged civilian.

In essence, . . . you just have to find what works for you, . . . is comfortable for you, . . . but most important, . . . the one you WILL carry and can shoot well enough with to defend yourself. If it is a mouse gun, . . . so be it, . . . if it is a cannon, . . . so be it.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Tags
concealed carry