The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 18, 2009, 01:16 PM   #1
jesus5150

Let's talk about Full Auto...

OK SO!

Let's begin with the fact that i'm still a washington resident, (No full auto, no way no how) but i'm currently living in Oregon, I'm trying out a new job. IF I decide this is where I want to stay then i'll go ahead and change my address and become an Oregon Resident. But right now i'm just testing the waters of this job and area. That being said, I heard rumors of Oregon state citizens being able to (and here's where my information is most likely wrong) pay $200 and get "Endorsed" to own a "Class III destructive weapons permit" (I'm sure most of that is wrong but it's what i heard 'round the watering hole)

So if that's true,

1) Can I (I,being a non-felon, non-crazy, normal, legal citizen of america who is not planning terror) get a "License or permit" to own a Full Auto weapon

2) What are the stipulations? (I.E. age, money, classes, background/training)

3) After I get it, Where/How would I go about getting a full auto weapon, as they seem MORE than scarce. (Nothing fancy like an AUG, or FAL, just something like a middle of the road all-wood furnature AK)

4) What's the price difference in guns? (like, a Romanian WASR-10 can be had for $450, what's the same thing full auto gonna cost?)

5) Lastly, is it worth it? Or will I get hassled constantly for it?

Any/All Insight and Advice is Welcomed!

OH! and...

6)If all of this works out, and I do get it, and decide to move back to Wa. Do I have to sell it?
Old November 18, 2009, 01:19 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

I'm sure this will get moved into the class 3 section, but here a few answers

You can buy a full auto, takes 6 months of paperwork and $200 tax stamp
You can only own full auto weapons registered before 1984 or so, which limits supply
You will have to pay $5,000 MORE than for the semi-auto version at minimum
Most full auto weapons go for 10k and up
Old November 18, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
jesus5150

Oh man I had no idea there was a class 3 section! I'm sorry!

Wow that's insanity, $10,000.... What about conversions?
Old November 18, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
oneounceload

200 stamp per gun, lot of paperwork, costs FAR exceed semi version, sometime by a factor of 10-20 times, depending on gun
Old November 18, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
omega

In my view, having full auto is interesting and provocative for about a week. From then on, it carries an unsubstainable onus for feeding it ammunition.

This is not to say that there aren't survivalists that truly see a need for a full automatic weapon in their arsenal. Just in case SHTF.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:31 PM   #6
azredhawk44

1986 Firearm Owners' Protection Act got some nasty language snuck into it in the middle of the night that prohibited sales of new FA receivers.

We have a fixed supply. Actually, it dwindles a little every year since they get worn out. That's why prices are artificially high for them.

Used to be than an AR with a happy switch was no more expensive than a semiauto AR, aside from the $200 tax stamp.

Quote:
Oh man I had no idea there was a class 3 section! I'm sorry!

Wow that's insanity, $10,000.... What about conversions?
Conversions, such as a DIAS (drop in auto sear) are also limited to pre-1986 construction to be legal and must still be registered. And a little tab of metal such as a DIAS will cost you several thousand dollars just like a real FA AR-15.

It's an artificial economy that is frustrating to deal with.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:33 PM   #7
omega

Another option is to buy a papered sear for the AR15 you already have. Five grand for a little piece of metal.

::EDIT:: whoops. sorry azredhawk. two minutes late.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
jesus5150

SO there's NO WAY to get a license and gun for under $2k? For real? No way at all?
Old November 18, 2009, 01:51 PM   #9
full.tang.halo

Quote:
For real? No way at all?
Join a military branch of your choice...

But in all reality your looking at about 3k for a MAC or "mac style" full auto SMG. Even at that you'd almost have to get in line for a lage upper to have more than what most would call a "bullet hose" so 4k is about the bare minimum price of full auto admission, plus ammo. From there you just go up and up.

Only positive is right now prices seem to be stable / slightly suppressed. Stuff on subguns isn't going sold in 10 minutes and I've seen private parties dropping asking prices because of financial concerns.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:41 PM   #10
jesus5150

Wow... That sucks so bad. Oh well, make it another pipe dream. Thanks guys.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:39 PM   #11
David Hineline

What is expensive

What is more expensive, buying a car for 10k driving it for 10 yrs to sell it for 1k or buying a 10k machine gun driving it for 10yrs and selling it for 20K.

1986 Tommy guns were $450 each 10 at a time, MACs were a bit more at around $200.

Now money a Tommy gun is around $17,000 and Macs are $3500 so which guys made the best investment, those who bought tv stereo and computer gear or those who bought an item that there is limited supply for but new people shopping for every day.

Maybe you can afford not to own machine guns, but I can not.

That being said only machine guns are price inflated by the ban. Sawed off shotguns, silencers, rifles with short barrels, grenade launchers, mortars cannons are still current production items and much cheaper in dollars but only an investment in fun rather than a return of financial profit later.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:42 PM   #12
David Hineline

Not the cheapest but BRP conversions on the Stemple receivers are available new unfired guns, the price will stick until the day that the last registered Stemple tube is sold, then the price of the guns will double that day.

http://www.brpguns.com/
Old November 18, 2009, 04:56 PM   #13
jesus5150

Oh you're right, I'm sure it'd be a great investment. But that kind of money is WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAY out of reach.
Old November 18, 2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Skans

Quote:
SO there's NO WAY to get a license and gun for under $2k? For real? No way at all?
Sorry, there is no way to do that. BUT, it is not $10,000 to get equipped with a machine gun.

You can find Mac-10's and M-11's easily at $3,500. I bet if you have cash and are serious you could get that price down some. You could probably purchase an AC556 (sort of a full-auto mini-14) for about $5,500.

If you have an FN FNC you could purchase the sear for a little over $3,000 and pay roughly $800 for the conversion (yes, it's a semi-auto gun that can be converted using a registered sear). That gets you a really nice full-auto rifle for under $4,000.

You're not that far off from being able to own a machinegun, financially. There are some folks out there with transferable machine guns that really need the money - now's the best time to strike a good deal on one.